Deadlocks - for or against?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

marc777

Banned
Car
E270 cdi Avantgarde; Wifes car Yellow VW Beetle (new shape)
Just read another Autocar group test where the Merc gets reduced marks for security because they insisit on not fitting deadlocks - (E class compared to Audi, BMW and Jaguary)

Am I right in thinking that on a Merc if you break the window you can open the car door from the inside. Whereas I understand other manufacturers doors cannot be opened?

Personally I want to be able to open the door from the inside no matter what the circumstances i.e. in an accident, falling into the canal !!

I hope Merc stand by their principles.

Anyone any thoughts? Haven't seen anything else posted on the forum.

Marc

My MGF had deadlocks - the idea being you could leave it top down and someone reaching in could not open the door. Deadlocks only work when the doors are locked with the key - remotely or mechanically - they don't operate when someone is in the car - for the reasons you have mentioned.

It is something MB should look at - particularly on the drop tops.

In a mercedes , the reasoning behind it is ..... You can open the door no matter what happens. I think thats why they use the door lock pins.

Personally , i prefer it this way ....

And pammy .... Tut , tut ... leaving the roof down when youre away from your car :p

I dont approve of the senseless culling of Locks. I feel all Locks are entitled to a free independent life and that a live lock is much better than a Deadlock.

Locks have rights as well.....................

I'll get my coat!

What I don't understand with Mercedes reasoning is that with other manufactures the dead locks only operate when you lock the car with the key fob, if you lock them from inside whilst driving along the dead locks aren’t set and you can open the door from inside. That's how my last couple of cars have worked and there was no risk if you had an accident or went into a canal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom