Defecting to the increasingly bright side?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bobby Dazzler

MB Master
SUPPORTER
Car
Smart ForFour AMG Black Series Night Edition Premium Plus 125 Powered by Brabus
Everyone speaks of defecting to the dark side. Well I like to be different, so why not defect to the bright side? Well if the sun rises there, then it must be increasingly bright. ;)

Over recent months I've mulled over a switch to the Porsche Boxster, Mercedes C63 AMG, SMART ForTwo, and even a R320 CDi with a Brabus module, and a few others, but as yet I've not felt sufficiently compelled to swap the C32 AMG.

I've also been considering the new Nissan GTR (no longer referred to as Skyline) but as it won't reach these shores officially until 2009 I've been unable to do much more than think about it.

ds-gtr-proto-official-003.jpg

Checked out the possibility of placing a deposit and it seems Nissan UK won't reserve a build slot until the official release date 'sometime in 2008' - but indication of when just yet.

I caught a couple of minutes of Fifth Gear tonight, and it looks like Plato was giving the new GTR some stick on a track. Autocar also reckon it pips the 997 Turbo too. High praise indeed.

At face value it seems to pass most of the Dazzler tests - no daft tracks in Anglesey or catapulting old Vauxhalls at caravan targets required here:

(1) Very quick :: Check, indecently fast in fact. :devil:

(2) Pootle factor :: Check, automatic and able to do daisy driving.

(3) Four or five seats :: Check, count 'em, there's four.

(4) Interesting :: Check, it's rare and characterful.

(5) Subtle :: Err, not quite. :eek:

Three out of four's not too bad is it?? :rolleyes:

The only japanese car I've owned - one of the last Toyota MR2s with pop-up headlamps was a wonderful car - and that's possibly part of the appeal. That and the fact the GTR's quick with a capital F of course. :D

So what do you reckon? Should I move to the bright side?

For me the image of Japanese supercars just does not work.

I am sure it will be an excellent, reliable, fast car, but it just does not stir my soul like other probably less reliable marques. Sorry.:(

will never be in the same class and history/appeal of the master of all sports cars.
the porsche 911 and if you really want quick, get the Gt9.
Blows the veyron away

Nissan, esteemed manufacturer of the Mirca and the Primera... ;)

I'd get a Porsche 911 if I was in your position, or if four (useable) seats are an absolute must, an AMG CLS.

the GT-R's rear seats are for show only, aren't they?

I thought the white GT-R driven by Jason Plato looked stunning. If it really only costs £60k, then it's a good price.

Not sure about the interior though .. a bit of a mishmash.

For me the image of Japanese supercars just does not work.

I agree with that really. I admire the almost PS3 type of technology in these cars and in the likes of the Evo's and Suburu's and acknowledge they are about as fast a way to to get from A-B as is possible whilst flattering the driver.

Similar in a way that I am sure I can eat all the nutrients I need in a nice pre-packed microwaveable dinner made ready in 4mins 38secs on high power. its just not quite the same as mom's home cookin ;)

If you are going to do it do a personal import. if the £30k is true as mentioned on Fifth gear then thats a lot of car and probably a lot of fun on a daily basis!

My brother really raves about them and tends to send me numerous links

I thnink everyone that has test drove the car, really raves about it.

Great choice, and good luck,
Regards
John

People go on about the technology in these cars and being of the "playstation generation" but they are far simplier than a modern Mercedes, my R33 doesnt even have ABS !!

Official date for the new GTR is March 2009 but the one on 5th gear is an unofficial import and obviously these are available now but with no dealer support.

Its the reason i decided to keep my E class a couple more years hopefully to replace both my R33 Skyline and w210 with one car

I'd have a Datsun over a MB anyday, truth be told the former is far better built that my W210 and makes me smile when i drive it .

The Skyline name is continuing though in the 4 seater G35 which is badged as an Infiniti in the US , its basically a 4 seater 350z

skyline19.jpg

I would ask the question: are you going to be able to exploit the amazing capabilities of the new GT-R? If you live in Wales or a similar driver's heaven then I would say go for it (but I suspect the Police would quickly get to know you).

But, if you live in somewhere choked and congested, like the South East, you may be better to get something more focused on residuals and image, such as a Porsche.

Making up your mind will be a nice problem to have:)

Philip

Everyone speaks of defecting to the dark side. Well I like to be different, so why not defect to the bright side? Well if the sun rises there, then it must be increasingly bright. ;)

Over recent months I've mulled over a switch to the Porsche Boxster, Mercedes C63 AMG, SMART ForTwo, and even a R320 CDi with a Brabus module, and a few others, but as yet I've not felt sufficiently compelled to swap the C32 AMG.

I've also been considering the new Nissan GTR (no longer referred to as Skyline) but as it won't reach these shores officially until 2009 I've been unable to do much more than think about it.

ds-gtr-proto-official-003.jpg

Checked out the possibility of placing a deposit and it seems Nissan UK won't reserve a build slot until the official release date 'sometime in 2008' - but indication of when just yet.

I caught a couple of minutes of Fifth Gear tonight, and it looks like Plato was giving the new GTR some stick on a track. Autocar also reckon it pips the 997 Turbo too. High praise indeed.

At face value it seems to pass most of the Dazzler tests - no daft tracks in Anglesey or catapulting old Vauxhalls at caravan targets required here:

(1) Very quick :: Check, indecently fast in fact. :devil:

(2) Pootle factor :: Check, automatic and able to do daisy driving.

(3) Four or five seats :: Check, count 'em, there's four.

(4) Interesting :: Check, it's rare and characterful.

(5) Subtle :: Err, not quite. :eek:

Three out of four's not too bad is it?? :rolleyes:

The only japanese car I've owned - one of the last Toyota MR2s with pop-up headlamps was a wonderful car - and that's possibly part of the appeal. That and the fact the GTR's quick with a capital F of course. :D

So what do you reckon? Should I move to the bright side?

No you shouldnt.

It might be quick etc but it will look like a cheap Japanese car. Where is the breeding? Its a just not a proper thoroughbred is it?

Stick with a make that has a heritage, class and breeding.;)

The GTR has a proven race reputation its was designed to dominate Group A and Group N racing which it did.

"The Skyline GT-R soon earned the name Godzilla, for its track performance. The R32 GT-R dominated JTCC, winning 29 races from 29 starts, taking the series title every year from 1989-1993. It took 50 races from 50 starts from 1991-1997 (latterly R33) in the N1 Super Taikyu. The R32 GT-R was introduced in the Australian Bathurst 1000 touring-car race to compete against Holden and Ford V8 saloons, winning in 1991 & 1992. However, the GT-R's success sounded the death knell of Group A Touring Car racing; with the formula being scrapped soon after. JTCC was similarly blighted by the R32 GT-R, and splintered soon after, leading to the switch to the Supertouring category and also indirectly to the GT500 category of today"

Thanks for all your comments.

I find the comments regarding heritage, etc curious as the Skyline has been around for longer than I have, and the GTRs reputation is formidable, and I would imagine would be up there somewhere on a list of iconic cars.

Residuals on previous official UK R34 GTRs was in a different league to many other cars in a similar bracket, simply because of the limited availability and cult following.

Given the previews 12 month in advance of launch, and the hype of the official website, and the growth in sales volumes of accessible supercars, I suspect supply won't be quite as short this time.

I would ask the question: are you going to be able to exploit the amazing capabilities of the new GT-R? If you live in Wales or a similar driver's heaven then I would say go for it (but I suspect the Police would quickly get to know you).

The short answer is not often!! Seriously though, I don't really stretch the AMGs legs either. I like to know I can, rather than actually do. :D

One of the things I forgot to include in my original post was that it ought to be able to claw it's way on to our estate in the snow, which the AMG can't do!! :rolleyes:

the porsche 911 and if you really want quick, get the Gt9.
Blows the veyron away

I can think of 450,000 reasons that would make the GT9 an non-starter for me (based upon a 600k euro price tag).

Mrs D would want more than new blinds in the bedroom and a conservatory in exchange for one of those!! :D

R34 GTR's were holding good money becuase of the tough SVA laws , as the cars are now 10 years old expect the market to be flooded and the prices to tumble.

I'm all in favour of you taking the plunge although I have never had the oppurtunity of sitting in a Skyline and was wondering about the size of the interior. Is there plenty of leg room etc?

Regards
John

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom