Disappointing service at MB Croydon

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have to agree with brucemillar on this one. I am no software expert but I experience 'remote help' from time to time.

Example; machine is not doing what its supposed to do in Spain, phone colleague up in Sweden, he takes over machine from his desk (or home) has a quick poke around. He then phones me and tells me to power cycle the machine (switch it on and off !).

Job done , he has sent (updated) the software and together we have fixed the fault.

It looks like MB are either taking the 'mick' or have overcomplicated the whole process...wouldn't be the first time for either scenario...:rolleyes:

Ive used Croydon several times in the past.....can't say that I am impressed with them. You are better off using Bromley.

On one occasion they damaged the paintwork on my car and refused to even talk about it or even look at it !!!

I then had to contact MB head office and complained and I immediately got a call back and they took the car away to get it sorted and were apologetic.

So why is MB FIVE HOURS?
I don't know if it is for an E class, MB updated mine for me last time they saw the E class.
But I updated my old C63, and it took approx 2.5 hours
Wack in first dvd, asks a couple of questions, and then about 2 hours later it tell you to stick in the second dvd.

Hmmm even 2 hours is a long time for local media, what sort of transfer rates is the DVD doing? This is possibly slower than a ZX81/Spectrum's tape drive which became obsolete because the new kid on the block a floppy drive was way faster.

Not beating a drum here, but......

I had my wife's x5 sound system modified today to incorporate Bluetooth. As part of this we had to upgrade the entire MOST loop/system firmware. This includes:

Phone
TV
Radio
CD
SatNav

Process:

Download firmware and burn to disc = 9 minutes on a very slow broadband connection (1 Mbps)

Install disc into cars Nav drive.

Screen displays. 'Software loading. Do not turn off ignition'. Please wait approximately 6 minutes. System will reboot when ready. Press OK.

5 minutes later: All done. Total time 14 minutes.

Dealer (who has the discs) quotes 10 minutes while you have a coffee.

Sent from my iPhone using sausage fingers.

Are we taking about firmware upgrades or map updates?

If the latter, then I don't really think you can download 1gb-2gb of maps in a couple of minutes, burn a DVD, then copy it to the car in 6 minutes... it will take much longer than that.

Firmware, possibly, they tend to be quite small.

Firmware.

The actual map discs load in seconds.

But then you would just buy the disc (and the dealer sells them)

I still say. MB are over complicating this (who knows why)

TomTom etc must be like the Smash Potato Family when they read this.

<_CFXNotificationTokenRegistration: 0x7754cc0>

MB Bromley service were good when I used them in 2011.

It seems daft to have a system whereby the engine must be running to update firmware and / or maps.

I would have thought a backup to the power and car on I2 should be all that is needed.

interesting comments on this thread....I am 2 years into my 4 year service contract.. last service I had map update..its just a plug in job to a laptop at the service centre is it not ??....ps I went into MB Norwich yesterday to get blown offside dipped beam bulb as orig one on my 2011 car had blown.. they did it in ten mins... no charge ?!!.. nice touch ...moral is change MB main dealer if yr not happy with yours and tell em so .. I can go to one of 5 in East Anglia so its no big deal... I haver never been let down by Robinsons Mercedes.....pps I use daytime running lights on my pre led model as its a facility to use if u want it on my c250....I wonder if bulbs would last just as long if I didn't ??!!......foxy52

Well on a positive note, it was booked in again for Tuesday and I dropped in in at around 0900. They called me at 1400 to say it was ready for me to pick up. What would you know.....5 hours later lol

Got a feeling it only took them a couple of hours though as I got a Mercedes me message around 1200 telling me my car was unlocked, and asking if I wanted to lock it. This must either be when they had completed the updates and switched off the ignition, or before they started them.

Well on a positive note, it was booked in again for Tuesday and I dropped in in at around 0900. They called me at 1400 to say it was ready for me to pick up. What would you know.....5 hours later lol

Got a feeling it only took them a couple of hours though as I got a Mercedes me message around 1200 telling me my car was unlocked, and asking if I wanted to lock it. This must either be when they had completed the updates and switched off the ignition, or before they started them.

Yeah the remote app is handy for that.
Also can set a 2 or 3 mile geo fence :D

yeah the geofencing is pretty cool, but I also like the tracking feature :) I know where mine or the wife cars are at all times ;)

Have you tried the car locator in a multi storey car park?
Just wondering if it can guide you to your car and detect if it is on floor 3 or floor 4 (different altitude, but 'same' GPS co ordinate.

Hmm, not tried that. Might give a go at work tonight :thumb:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom