Do you get strange looks?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I honestly don't give a jot what anyone thinks about me or my temporary possessions.

I've no idea whether I've ever had a strange look or not, nor do I care. This is a rather strange thread, though...

I've no idea whether I've ever had a strange look or not, nor do I care. This is a rather strange thread, though...

Not in the world of the forum - pretty standard stuff really.

You've never met me. I'm a pretty strange guy, or so my workmates say.

I drive a CLS350 to work, where I am an electrical engineer building lighting towers and generators. In my job, I have to deal with diesel engines mated to alternators. Consequently, I do get a bit of oil on me. Now imagine a pristine CLS in silver pulling up with a seat cover on the drivers seat, and a greasy oink getting out.

The only way I might get a stranger look is if I was driving a Bentley Continental.

In fact, at work the only car that is better than mine is the CEO's car, which is a big Porsche. Even the MD's XF doesn't compare, in my opinion. Do I get spite from my colleagues? Of course not. They might rib me, as I do them, but we all appreciate that we all come from different backgrounds and we all have different outlooks on life, and different priorities.

Iv'e had a few odd looks from the 'older generation' when exiting my W210, I'm 54 but have been told on many occasion I look no older than late 30's ( shot in the arm for me :D) I don't have any beige items of clothing yet and choose to wear the normal jeans / t. shirts / etc: I get the impression from the older folk that I should not be driving a vehicle that was once reserved for those that had reached a certain station in life! ok it's not a new Mercedes but it is one of the few models that was clearly a Mercedes Benz and so is instantly recognisable.
I find it amusing but it doesn't faze me at all.
I get more judgemental looks/remarks when I drive my Daimler sp 250 v8 (when it's running!) especially when I take it to shows and the like, I think they expect me to be sporting a handlebar mustache, pipe, tweed and brogues! most of the hard line members don't talk to me at all but I get plenty of spectators want to talk about the car.
The opposite end of the scale is when I ride the gsxr 1000, I get all sorts of disapproving looks when I park up. Granted... it is a little on the noisy side but I tend to feel more conspicuous on the bike than in the cars.

Iv'e had a few odd looks from the 'older generation' when exiting my W210, I'm 54 but have been told on many occasion I look no older than late 30's ( shot in the arm for me :D) I don't have any beige items of clothing yet and choose to wear the normal jeans / t. shirts / etc: I get the impression from the older folk that I should not be driving a vehicle that was once reserved for those that had reached a certain station in life! ok it's not a new Mercedes but it is one of the few models that was clearly a Mercedes Benz and so is instantly recognisable.
I find it amusing but it doesn't faze me at all.
I get more judgemental looks/remarks when I drive my Daimler sp 250 v8 (when it's running!) especially when I take it to shows and the like, I think they expect me to be sporting a handlebar mustache, pipe, tweed and brogues! most of the hard line members don't talk to me at all but I get plenty of spectators want to talk about the car.
The opposite end of the scale is when I ride the gsxr 1000, I get all sorts of disapproving looks when I park up. Granted... it is a little on the noisy side but I tend to feel more conspicuous on the bike than in the cars.

All that from a ...look?

I used to get strange looks when driving my Mercedes Squinter.

I suspect that some of these comments say more about the poster's view on MB ownership than how others perceive them.

Unfortunately, I fear you are correct.

I don't get looks, and contrary to what I said earlier...never did.

Most people don't care what anyone drives...and MB are are far too common a sight nowadays for anyone to take any notice.

The average age of "a Mercedes Owner" is 53..

Like Jaguar, Mercedes will have to make serious efforts to re-brand their range to appeal to buyers that are not one-foot-in-the-grave.

To be fair, that's what they are doing. Expect to see less old duffers behind the pointed star as the years roll by.

You can get funny looks everywhere if you look hard enough,then they can interfere
with your fragile self perception,because others don't see you as you believe your
self to be.All basic stuff,solution delete ego.:thumb:

Like Jaguar, Mercedes will have to make serious efforts to re-brand their range to appeal to buyers that are not one-foot-in-the-grave.

To be fair, that's what they are doing. Expect to see less old duffers behind the pointed star as the years roll by.
So at 53 you have one foot in the grave eh? Must have 2 feet both arms and most of my organs already in there then:crazy:

If only we all could be Peter Pan. :rolleyes:

I do get people saying they expected some 5ft tall, timid school-run Mum to get out of the ML, which I guess is the usual demographic. It is around here anyway..

Luckily, I'm far too secure in my masculinity to let this bother me... we live in enlightened times, after-all.

Only when driving the 3 wheeler - it's usually a Dad seeing it, grabbing their child's arm, and pointing at the car, as if they think I can't see them.

Mind you, if I'd not seen one before, I think I'd stare, too!

Malcolm

Yes and I always have! I actually got a lot of aggro from people on this very forum back in the day haha. I bought a new W203 Sport Edition C class when I was 18 and used to get the "does daddy know you're driving his car?" comments quite frequently and interestingly other C class drivers used to look me up and down at the petrol station and turn their nose up at me in disgust because I was a young lad as back then, Sport Editions were uber rare as it was the Classic/Elegance/Avantgarde days where the Avantgarde was deemed to be the car of choice for most so I think they were a bit intimidated by the Sport being a higher spec.

The most amusing however was when I turned 21 I was old enough to get insured on an RS4 and no matter how much people doubted me I always said I was going to buy one so I took the plunge. This used to get different comments altogether as the car was somewhat "next level", I'd frequently hear whispers of people suggesting I was either a footballer or a drug dealer. Alas, I am neither lol.

Since then, I've been through a myriad of other cars from German to Japanese imports, subtle to in your face as I am far from a brand snob and just enjoy cars, it's interesting to see how peoples approach and opinion alters so drastically based on what you drive, still makes me laugh now although I've hit 28 now so I'm at an age where within reason I don't think any car I drive will give much of a "shock factor" anymore as it's more accepted that someone in their late 20's can afford X, Y or Z car.

I suspect that some of these comments say more about the poster's view on MB ownership than how others perceive them.

Despite my ramblings i think you may be right, it is probably my view of how others perceive me and not what is actually happening.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom