Do you get strange looks?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Only once, in the SL. A young gentleman approached the car at a set of lights and asked if he could "score some gear".

:doh:

There was an article in Car Magazine a while back that followed some Traffic Coppers aroung whilst they got on with the job of driving around and nicking people.

The coppers were very frank and honest about all aspects of Patrol Car work but one subject whey wouldn't be drawn on... do the police make judgments about a driver based on the type of car?

I think the answer is pretty clear from the boys in blue.. I guess most of us tend to think in a similar way.

There was an article in Car Magazine a while back that followed some Traffic Coppers aroung whilst they got on with the job of driving around and nicking people.

The coppers were very frank and honest about all aspects of Patrol Car work but one subject whey wouldn't be drawn on... do the police make judgments about a driver based on the type of car?

I think the answer is pretty clear from the boys in blue.. I guess most of us tend to think in a similar way.

Clear as mud I'd say. :D

No more than I normally get!

I've got plenty of admiring looks as well. Three polish workers were pointing at my car the other day and giving me the thumbs up.

When I used to ride my Triumph, plenty of people commented on the Union Jack, saying how good it was that we still had a motorcycle industry.

As for the comment about Mercedes being far too common, well certain models, such as the A, C and E class are abundant, but who could resist not staring at an SL with its roof down as it glides passed you while out walking?

Besides, while Mercs may be common, they still aren't as common as Ford Fiestas, which appear to be every third car on the roads these days.

My opening post was to describe the occasional comments that we may get as Merc owners. Remember that Mercedes Benz is still a name that holds a lot of respect, as does Bentley and Aston Martin, as some Mercs are as powerful, if not more so, than those other two marques. And Mercedes is still a marque, whereas in my opinion BMW is a much more common car, alongside Fords and Vauxhalls. I wouldn't mind betting that the three most common cars on the road are the BMW 320d, the Ford Mondeo and the Vauxhall Insignia, all vying for the same market.

No. I would say that Mercedes still stands for something, and the people who drive them on the whole appreciate what they drive. I mean, how many members of this forum drive a Mercedes simply because it has four wheels and a steering wheel?

When I was 17 and ran about in my dad's W115 , which he subsequently gave me , I did on occasion get remarks that I was awfully young to have such a nice car !

Almost conversely , after I got my Ponton a couple of years later , I occasionally got remarks that it was odd for someone so young to have such an old car and they would have expected my to have something 'sporty' like an XR3 - go figure .

Of course , not long after that , I got my W114 280E with the 5 speed manual box , which was something of a 'flying machine' back in those days , and it took a number of people with apparently 'sporting' machinery by surprise to be overtaken rapidly by a sedate looking saloon ; a friend with a W116 450SE used to say the same .

Well I don't actually get my CLS until tomorrow (ridiculously excited here!!) but I suspect I get some funny looks.

I'm 33 so not exactly young but I'm a complete rock/metal fan so usually wear an AC/DC t-shirt or similar, plus I am quite heavily tattooed. So I suspect I will get a few odd looks getting out of the car.

Either way, doesn't phase me as I love the car! Plus I used to drive a VW Lupo so seeing a 6'1 bloke with tattoos climb out of that was quite fun anyway.

I've got plenty of admiring looks as well. Three polish workers were pointing at my car the other day and giving me the thumbs up.

When I used to ride my Triumph, plenty of people commented on the Union Jack, saying how good it was that we still had a motorcycle industry.

As for the comment about Mercedes being far too common, well certain models, such as the A, C and E class are abundant, but who could resist not staring at an SL with its roof down as it glides passed you while out walking?

Besides, while Mercs may be common, they still aren't as common as Ford Fiestas, which appear to be every third car on the roads these days.

My opening post was to describe the occasional comments that we may get as Merc owners. Remember that Mercedes Benz is still a name that holds a lot of respect, as does Bentley and Aston Martin, as some Mercs are as powerful, if not more so, than those other two marques. And Mercedes is still a marque, whereas in my opinion BMW is a much more common car, alongside Fords and Vauxhalls. I wouldn't mind betting that the three most common cars on the road are the BMW 320d, the Ford Mondeo and the Vauxhall Insignia, all vying for the same market.

No. I would say that Mercedes still stands for something, and the people who drive them on the whole appreciate what they drive. I mean, how many members of this forum drive a Mercedes simply because it has four wheels and a steering wheel?

Indeed not as common as Fiestas maybe...but more common than, say, Ferrari.

Honestly...MB do not turn heads.

My black new CLS looks awesome, with the diamond grill, and from other people looking at my car I can tell they think so too!

had a matt black 190e and all my w124 coupes have been low with 18's. i have a beard and tattoos. im clearly a drug dealer.

had a matt black 190e and all my w124 coupes have been low with 18's. i have a beard and tattoos. im clearly a drug dealer.

Beards and tattoos are definite drug dealer guises!

Ironically I work in IT! :D

A work colleague went and bought himself a black BMW 320d. The first thing anyone said to him was, 'Make much money from being a pimp?'. Some cars just have a certain image.

Not so much a funny look, but a memory/confession from a mischievous past.

I was sitting at traffic lights on red, in the left lane, waiting to turn left, alongside a bloke in an XJ6 Jag ( it was many years ago!).

Whether he'd just bought the Jag, I don't know, but he was sat there, looking all around,as if to say "look at me in my Jaguar".

Couldn't resist it, but as he looked across at me, I released the clutch and moved forward a tad. Just enough for him to take off, then brake suddenly as he realised the lights were still on red...........:devil:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom