• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Does it matter which oil brand

Gollom

Hardcore MB Enthusiast
SUPPORTER
Car
S204 C220CDi Sport ED125 (Mr) Kia Picanto Domino 1.1 (Mrs)
Going to brave my own oil change on my S204 following an oil-pump purchase from Lidl.

Seems to a bewildering choice of snake-oil around, all claiming to have that 'magic ingredient" which makes it better. Am I right in saying that as long as it is 229.52 (and the brand is not in Chinese characters!) I am good to go?

Keep in mind that if you get your car serviced at the dealer, you don't typically know what brand oil they will be using (unless you have an AMG, or bring your own oil). Oil is one of the few exceptions where MB dealers are not obliged to use the genuine MB-branded product.

That been said, MB-branded oil is generally considered a good product. But if you believe that a certain brand of oil is better than others, then by all means, buy it.

Last edited:
Stick to a known name filter? Bewildering number! Meyle? (seems to be a name I have heard of)

Mahle
Knecht
Bosch
Mann

Are all good.

You’ve just opened up a can of worms with this thread.

Anything that meets 229.52 will be safe to use, and any filter from the brands above.

Mods please close it. 🤣

Last edited:
I have had genuine MB filters that were marked Mann or Knecht, so both companies are, or have been, original suppliers. I've also used Mahle but have no experience of Bosch filters. MB ones are sometimes competitively priced.
I've had GSF 'premium', or whatever they call it, filters and was supplied with Knecht, but whether they're always Knecht I can't say.

How effective are those oil pumps? Never bothered DIYing the oil change as my driveway is slanted. Are those pumps effective at getting most of the oil out?

How effective are those oil pumps? Never bothered DIYing the oil change as my driveway is slanted. Are those pumps effective at getting most of the oil out?

Yes they are. Dealers often use them. Nothing wrong with draining the engine oil the old way, either.

Going to brave my own oil change on my S204 following an oil-pump purchase from Lidl.

Seems to a bewildering choice of snake-oil around, all claiming to have that 'magic ingredient" which makes it better. Am I right in saying that as long as it is 229.52 (and the brand is not in Chinese characters!) I am good to go?
Make sure you have a 27mm socket to remove the oil filter.
An angled pick is useful for removing the old rubber seals on the filter cartridge.
Once you've done one oil change you'll not use a garage to do another provided you have a dipstick tube.

Just make sure you measure the amount that is removed (most extractors have a level marker on the outside) and fill with same amount.
I got the oil & filter delivered from MB Newcastle within 2 days. Opie oils also are great on price.

Its not essential to have a dip stick. As you can check the level via the cluster press. If you don't have a dip stick. It's also good to check condition of the sump plug/washer for leaks. It's also handy to drain the oil cooler as well if the car has that drain facility. I would like to use an oil extraction pump but as mentioned. The sump bolt gets over looked when extracting oil this method.

It is if you want to use an oil extraction pump, which is what the OP has just bought.
Is that the tube you use to extract the oil.

Surely not all the oil can be extrated with this method.

I was relating to checking the oil level with the cluster.

My e55 didnt have a dipstick tube. But it had a workshop tube for using the dipstick to check the oil, with the dipstick measuring tool

Is that the tube you use to extract the oil.

Surely not all the oil can be extrated with this method.

I was relating to checking the oil level with the cluster.

My e55 didnt have a dipstick tube. But it had a workshop tube for using the dipstick to check the oil, with the dipstick measuring tool
Yes, just remove the dipstick and slide the clear oil extraction tube down the hole. You can feel when it hits the bottom of the sump and when its nearly empty, just wiggle the tube a bit to draw the last of the oil out.
Obviously not as efficient as using the drain plug, but quicker, far easier and cleaner and it gets almost all the oil out.
It works for me on the S204 but its not suitable for every model.

I get it seems efficient but I personally like to drain from sump. Can inspect plug and gasket and change as precaution also. And drain oil cooler also. But if it works I get it.

An oil change is generally straightforward. Be careful when looking at the approvals on the can.

Approved by Mercedes is just that ( approved )

Meets the specification of Mercedes is ( not approved )

TBF, so long as you have a method of checking the oil level, a dipstick isn't essential. That said, if using an extraction pump and had no dipstick, I'd check the oil level before extracting, refill with the same amount as came out (unless it was more than the specified amount - you never know...), then check and top up as necessary.

On my Mini last winter, the oil drain plug had been butchered to the point where even a big mole grip wrench wouldn't grip it, and there wasn't room to get the Stilsons on it, and I couldn't be *rsed to buy one of those bolt extractor socket sets (which do work), so I used an oil extractor pump my b-i-l had bought me a couple of Christmasses ago. The oil was warm, not hot, and I was surprised both by how fast it was, and how little was left behind; almost none.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom