DPF Regen - Install in-cabin indicator light

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'm not personally looking to load up anything extra; I'm just repeating what I've read including other people's observations that for many vehicles, the heated screen and mirrors activate during DPF Regen. I don't know why manufacturers have actually chosen to do this.

I'm not personally looking to load up anything extra; I'm just repeating what I've read including other people's observations that for many vehicles, the heated screen and mirrors activate during DPF Regen. I don't know why manufacturers have actually chosen to do this.
waiting for someone to help me with my issue mobdro authorityapk

To raise engine temperature during regen, the rear screen heater and mirrors are activated to increase the electrical demand, which in turn increases the demand on the generator, which in turn increases demand on the engine which in turn raises the engine temp.. ( sorry about all the "Turns" in the explanation.:)

To raise engine temperature during regen, the rear screen heater and mirrors are activated to increase the electrical demand, which in turn increases the demand on the generator, which in turn increases demand on the engine which in turn raises the engine temp.. ( sorry about all the "Turns" in the explanation.:)
Justintyme, the words that carlomilton26 has stated/quotes is just a direct quote from an earlier post I made. The 'I don't know why manufacturers have chosen to do this' was a statement I made about not knowing why manufacturers activate the rear heated screen during regen.

I don't know what carlomilton26's question actually is? They will need to come back on this thread and ask for specific help with a DPF regen indication LED, or if it's something else, probably best to start a new topic specific to whatever their issue is.

They have only posted 2 messages on this forum, both nonsensical repeats of earlier posts. I was wondering if they were some sort of spam bot.

Carlomilton26, I apologise if this is not the case.

Justintyme, the words that carlomilton26 has stated/quotes is just a direct quote from an earlier post I made. The 'I don't know why manufacturers have chosen to do this' was a statement I made about not knowing why manufacturers activate the rear heated screen during regen.

I don't know what carlomilton26's question actually is? They will need to come back on this thread and ask for specific help with a DPF regen indication LED, or if it's something else, probably best to start a new topic specific to whatever their issue is.

They have only posted 2 messages on this forum, both nonsensical repeats of earlier posts. I was wondering if they were some sort of spam bot.

Carlomilton26, I apologise if this is not the case.
I dont know either, TBH, But I ( and most others, yourself included ) have always answered forum posts in good faith. So no fault on our side, and to hell with the bots, and their owners:D:D:D

Just to be clear, I'm not personally looking to load up anything extra; I'm just repeating what I've read including other people's observations that for many vehicles, the heated screen and mirrors activate during DPF Regen. I don't know why manufacturers have actually chosen to do this.

I'm trying to find a way to install a permanent and discreet solution to easily identify when a DPF regen is taking place.

The wing mirror works on other cars, but if Mercs activate wing mirrors on any temp below 12 degrees (thanks whitenemesis), then this won't be consistent enough for use as a DPF indicator.
Or don't worry about it too much.

Use decent fuel. Drive it hard once a week and fix any engine lights quickly.

This will help a lot in keeping your DPF clean.

I own a chauffer company and our cars have probably done 600k in total. Not one DPF issue because we follow these steps. The journeys are not all long too and a lot of town work.

Or don't worry about it too much.

Use decent fuel. Drive it hard once a week and fix any engine lights quickly.

This will help a lot in keeping your DPF clean.

I own a chauffer company and our cars have probably done 600k in total. Not one DPF issue because we follow these steps. The journeys are not all long too and a lot of town work.

100% for frequent oil and filter changes, ditto driving instructions. These cars ( at least the diesel ones) are not meant for short hops and start stops. The question was more about how do you know when its doing a regen, and given all the other warning icons on the dash, why there was not one to indicate when a refgen was taking place. I'm not sure what exactly what happens when a fregen is interrupted.. does it continue when the engine starts again or has the whole process to start all over again? Are there bad side effects to an interrupted regen? A warning light would give the driver better control over the whole regenprocess, in my opinion, meaning that you could drive on until the regen is complete. An this is what some posters are attempting to do, link a small LED to either one of the wing mirfrors or the heating element in the rear screen.
BTW, slightly different subject, but Thanks for the excellent step-by-step guide on charging the transmission fluid in the 722.6 box. I've carried the change and flush according to your instructions on my 1st MB,,, 2010 E class 200 w212,,, worked out 100 %. Next project will be the same job on my newest MB,,, 2014 220 with the 722.9 trans, with stop start. Any pointers on differences on this transmission?
Thanks again, and Happy New Year !!

Hi,

In my rubbish Insignia (soon to go) I've installed a 12v LED wired directly into the driver's heated wing mirror positive and negative wires.

The LED is neatly hidden behind the tweeter speaker grill in the front corner of the door, and lights up blue whenever the heated wing mirror are on. It could easily be positioned anywhere in the door by extending the wires.

The key is that when doing a DPF Regen, the ECU turns on the rear screen and mirrors to put additional load through the alternator and therefore engine, in a bid to increase engine temp. When it does this for a Regen, the LED lights up, but the button on the centre control panel to turn on the demisting is not depressed or lit!

Does anyone know if something similar happens on the w212 E350 Mercs?
I really would like an indicator so I can make sure I keep driving if it's doing a regen so I don't turn the car off and get a load of diesel dumped into the sump and all the associated damage that might do.
Hi, regarding the rubbish insignia (mine is model 2010) - any chance you could explain how you fitted the diy LED onto the mirrors..?
All help much appreciated :)

A lot on YouTube under DPF notification LED.

Like this

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

A lot on YouTube under DPF notification LED.

Like this

Thanks a million!

Oops, double post..

Hi sorry for posting after such a long time but im wondering if the dpf regeneration runs in the same way in w204. I bought one a month ago and i,m looking for some dpf indicator solution. I found sth like that but cant find any info about this Grey electric relay function.

So at the and there are probablly two solution but i have no idea if it works in 204.
Thx in advance for your responding.
anyone tried it on the W203 with OM611 or OM646?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom