Driving too close on motorway

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
So, tell me...how do you keep left if you cannot slide in in front of you? I hear this all the time so, come on...how?????

It isn't your space. So, maybe if it annoys you stay further back to allow people to legitimately move left once they have overtaken you and whilst they are allowing a faster car to make headway. Not only are they doing nothing wrong they are indeed better drivers than most ****s on the road.

It is the responsibility of the driver manoeuvring to make sure it is safe to do so, before doing so.

What happens if you move over between two vehicles (usually lorries) and there is not really enough space for an additional car and yet a driver pushes in there? So how do you explain that come on ....how????

It is the responsibility of the driver manoeuvring to make sure it is safe to do so, before doing so.

What happens if you move over between two vehicles (usually lorries) and there is not really enough space for an additional car and yet a driver pushes in there? So how do you explain that come on ....how????
Then maybe the cars/lorries in the lane should be aware people need to change lanes...and leave a suitable gap. It is a nonsense to think on a motorway that no one should change lane. They should. Leave a bigger gap...you'll get there at the same time as you would if you left a smaller gap. It is the responsibility of us all to drive safely...and that includes those in the lane to the left of me.

Then maybe the cars/lorries in the lane should be aware people need to change lanes...and leave a suitable gap. It is a nonsense to think on a motorway that no one should change lane. They should. Leave a bigger gap...you'll get there at the same time as you would if you left a smaller gap. It is the responsibility of us all to drive safely...and that includes those in the lane to the left of me.

You are between 2 lorries ..2 sec gap ahead and 2 sec behind your car - safe driver.

Should a driver move into either of those spaces and halve what was a safe distance...........

I do agree that drivers do not leave enough space (loads of discussion on how to repair front end paint chips and the merits of protective film.........).

No, I suggest that the safe gap is not a no go zone for other drivers.

Would that be other drivers who pull out into a safe gap, thereby creating an unsafe gap between their car and the ones in front and behind them?

Those that are using the overtaking lane and then pull in to allow faster traffic to pass are indeed good drivers...

Agreed; but we're not talking about those, we're talking about those who pull into the overtaking lane from the left where there is not safe room to do so. The ****s who sit stubbornly in their lane, oblivious to the build-up of traffic behind them, when they could and should move over, are a different kind of ****, but they're still both ****s...

Easiest way to avoid unmarked Police cars is to stay within the speed limit.

Perhaps we should follow the US where you can overtake / undertake in any lane.

I agree though we should all have to re sit our driving test at frequent intervals to remain on the road.

You are between 2 lorries ..2 sec gap ahead and 2 sec behind your car - safe driver.

Should a driver move into either of those spaces and halve what was a safe distance...........

I do agree that tenderly drivers do not leave enough space (loads of discussion on how to repair from end paint chips and the merits of protective film.........).
How do you leave a motorway if you cannot enter the left lane due to a long line of traffic in that lane...the gap should be big enough to allow lane changes.

How do you leave a motorway if you cannot enter the left lane due to a long line of traffic in that lane...the gap should be big enough to allow lane changes.

If you are alert to what is happening around you, and not driving in a coma like most of the idiots out there (not referring to you), you will always be able to find a way to safely exit the motorway by monitoring the conditions around you and getting into the correct lane in plenty of time. You need to always be looking at what is happening around you and adapting your driving.

I have been driving for a very long time and never had a situation where I was unable to get off the motorway.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was being sarcastic E55...... I worked alongside the traffic dept at the regional police unit when I flew for them. Did many a day in the back of 'unmarked cars'
Clue - you aren't meant to spot them!!

High performance cars aren't "de riguour" by the way - blue lights normally make up for speed advantage.
Our region had 5 or 6 year old mondeo's or A4 audi's etc....They don't need massive speed as most large saloon cars can do 150mph these days.
It's the way the police drive them that allows them to keep up. They are expert drivers, so 'most' drivers have little or no chance to get away. Especially on A roads.
If.....if you get close, there are tell tale signs:
Non standard number plates (no BS mark or post codes)
Black boxes on rear and front shelf.
fwd and rearward pointing cameras.
Cop sitting in drivers seat!!!

Young girls shouldn't be driving..........

Why should the sex or age of a person decide whether they should be allowed to drive or not?

If they have passed their driving test they are considered competent by law.

I would say that any newly qualified driver should get some experience before taking to the motorways though.
A packed M25 around Heathrow can be daunting for many with lots of experience whatever their age. Add in poor driving conditions and its no fun.
(I don't cont myself in the above group BTW:D)

Why should the sex or age of a person decide whether they should be allowed to drive or not?

If they have passed their driving test they are considered competent by law.

I would say that any newly qualified driver should get some experience before taking to the motorways though.
A packed M25 around Heathrow can be daunting for many with lots of experience whatever their age. Add in poor driving conditions and its no fun.
(I don't cont myself in the above group BTW:D)

Yes but young girls aren't 17. At 17 they are young women.

If they are over 17 I believe they are young women so entitled to drive.

My last post on this. Go back and read Post# 49 again.
You appear to be contradicting yourself. First you say they shouldn't be driving, now you say they are entitled to as they are over 17 ??
If anyone is under 17 they won't be driving anyway:doh:. Make your mind up.

Confused of Poole Dorset.

I would be surprised if the police use non standard number plates, if memory serves me correctly all number plates must conform the BS whatever it is and this must be displayed on the number plate to show that is does, I cannot think why, or under what legislation the police would be exempt.

Er... I think he means that in heavy traffic, some *** will come up on your left and pull into the safe gap you have left. Or on the M25, two (or even three) ***s. It's quite simple, really, and not a case of anybody's space; you leave a safe gap, but others do not. Are you suggesting that drivers who do not leave a safe gap "are indeed better drivers than most ****s on the road"?
Arguably , if you have left room for someone to overtake on your left ( other than approaching a separation of carriageways where you were bearing right ) then you were in the wrong lane yourself .

My last post on this. Go back and read Post# 49 again.
You appear to be contradicting yourself. First you say they shouldn't be driving, now you say they are entitled to as they are over 17 ??
If anyone is under 17 they won't be driving anyway:doh:. Make your mind up.

Confused of Poole Dorset.
My 10 year old son had his first driving lesson last year .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom