• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

Dulux brilliant White gloss turning yellow...

Mercy1

Car
It's a car - just a car!
Some of you may have seen the recent Watchdog programme on the problems Dulux had with their brilliant white gloss paint turning yellow within months of being used.
It was all down to the interfering EU poking their noses in again and imposing new regulations to reduce solvent content in paint.
Well I was one of the victims having moved into my new house just over two years ago and going through the entire property painting the woodwork white with Dulux. It all has all turned yellow!
Now the good news. And a lot of companies could learn a lot from Dulux in customer after sales service from this...
The rep phoned me on Friday. Held up his hand absolutely for the problem and accepted every word of my complaint without further verification or receipts.
Talked me through the labour costs of redoing all the gloss work (ie 38 door sides, surrounds and skirting) and said he would arrange reimbursement plus vouchers for new paint (which has apparently now been reformulated).
How about that? My mouth is still wide open...!!!
This policy has obviously come from the very top. So it shows some companies still value their reputation, whatever most of us think...

A company MB could learn from. All my white work is being done in Dulux - their Supermatt emulsion is superb.

Some of you may have seen the recent Watchdog programme on the problems Dulux had with their brilliant white gloss paint turning yellow within months of being used.
It was all down to the interfering EU poking their noses in again and imposing new regulations to reduce solvent content in paint.
Well I was one of the victims having moved into my new house just over two years ago and going through the entire property painting the woodwork white with Dulux. It all has all turned yellow!
Now the good news. And a lot of companies could learn a lot from Dulux in customer after sales service from this...
The rep phoned me on Friday. Held up his hand absolutely for the problem and accepted every word of my complaint without further verification or receipts.
Talked me through the labour costs of redoing all the gloss work (ie 38 door sides, surrounds and skirting) and said he would arrange reimbursement plus vouchers for new paint (which has apparently now been reformulated).
How about that? My mouth is still wide open...!!!
This policy has obviously come from the very top. So it shows some companies still value their reputation, whatever most of us think...
38 door sides :eek:.

That's a house I'd like to see.

That wasn't it.
White paint contains titanium dioxide which was in short supply following the Japanese tsunami.

As an aside, water based paints tend to hold white colour better than oil based ones, as the oil leaches to the surface in areas not exposed to UV.

If only parents had stopped their children eating the paintwork, we could still enjoy the wonderful properties lead used to bring to paints

That wasn't it.
White paint contains titanium dioxide which was in short supply following the Japanese tsunami.

As an aside, water based paints tend to hold white colour better than oil based ones, as the oil leaches to the surface in areas not exposed to UV.

Technically you may be right, but I bought the water based paint for my young son's room (over-protective dad :o). Worst stuff ever! 4 coats and still looking very poor (old "yellowed" paint still showing through). Gave up and reverted to oil based, which covered in one coat.

PS moved our son into the spare bedroom for a week until all odours gone:o!

Sounds a lot doesn't it. But I just counted mine and ......... you guessed it ...... 38!! But I've only painted 13 so far :( But still all white :thumb:

You've got me at it now........

42, wooden internal only, excluding garage and anything UPVC to the outside (which would add another 16).

Blimey :eek:.

You've got me at it now........

42, wooden internal only, excluding garage and anything UPVC to the outside (which would add another 16).

Blimey :eek:.
They mount up don't they. I forgot to include the doors on built-in wardrobes that are normal room doors. So that's 22 wooden internal doors (44 sides), 3 wooden external doors, including side door for garage (6 sides), 2 up-and-over garage doors (4 sides). That's a total of 54 sides that need painting plus 8 UPVC door sides that only need washing. I'm not even going to think about all the fencing that I'm responsible for both sides of! I knew I should have bought a 1-bedroom flat instead.

Blimey indeed!! :eek: No wonder Dulux can afford to provide such good customer service.

They mount up don't they. I forgot to include the doors on built-in wardrobes that are normal room doors. So that's 22 wooden internal doors (44 sides), 3 wooden external doors, including side door for garage (6 sides), 2 up-and-over garage doors (4 sides). That's a total of 54 sides that need painting plus 8 UPVC door sides that only need washing. I'm not even going to think about all the fencing that I'm responsible for both sides of! I knew I should have bought a 1-bedroom flat instead.

Blimey indeed!! :eek: No wonder Dulux can afford to provide such good customer service.

Good game, good game.

I've just had a count up of white doors and can only muster 38 sides...

Pah..

Need to change the patio and conservatory doors then...:rolleyes:

Odd car, my W204 only has 4 doors, none of them white. I'm not sure Dulux is the right stuff anyway.:thumb:

Sorry to set you off on a frantic race around the house counting your doors (sad!!)... I only threw that in at the last minute to illustrate the size of the job. They do mount up when you count both sides and built in wardrobes!
Surprising thing is that the cost of the paint itself is comparably small. It's the cost of the decorator at, say £100-150 a day, where the big cost is.
That is why I was so surprised that Dulux were prepared to cough up to cover that cost.
I do feel a bit peeved that I was done out of a good old row!! Gobsmacked doesn't get near to covering it!

Sorry to set you off on a frantic race around the house counting your doors (sad!!)... I only threw that in at the last minute to illustrate the size of the job. They do mount up when you count both sides and built in wardrobes!
Surprising thing is that the cost of the paint itself is comparably small. It's the cost of the decorator at, say £100-150 a day, where the big cost is.
That is why I was so surprised that Dulux were prepared to cough up to cover that cost.
I do feel a bit peeved that I was done out of a good old row!! Gobsmacked doesn't get near to covering it!

Ah, wardrobe doors - that's cheating.

You're right about the Dulux recovery though - it's impressive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom