E280 CDI SPORT or NOT ?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ceverritt

Car
E320 W124 and 300SE W126
I am wanting to buy ( I think )an E280 CDI Estate , I am drawn to the sport version but having examined threads, wise advice is given on the price of tyres. Does anyone have any wisdom on whether to go for the sport model or the standard CDi. Is the ride much harder on the sport and is the suspension different ? thanks

The sport is vastly superior.

Much better body control, seating, steering, appearance.

The ride is not so good, but IMHO the dynamic pay offs are worth it.

Tyres are more expensive and they are staggered, but you get 20k miles off them, unless you are Aryton Senna reborn so its not that bad.

Hello

Best to drive one of each and see what you think, I agree looks wise the 'sport' looks right. However we are all different and I don't mind a harder suspension over the way it looks.

Has a sport stiffer springs and lower than a Avant garde. As well as the 18" wheels? Or would a Avant garde with air suspension ride better with 18" wheels?

Hello

Best to drive one of each and see what you think, I agree looks wise the 'sport' looks right. However we are all different and I don't mind a harder suspension over the way it looks.

Has a sport stiffer springs and lower than a Avant garde. As well as the 18" wheels? Or would a Avant garde with air suspension ride better with 18" wheels?

No the AG has the same suspension I think, but not 100%. The steering is a lot better. Air suspension would definately give a ride improvement.

The sport has better seats and the wheel mounted gear controls, for a keen driver they are good, for 90% AG is fine but I love the sport...

What are you coming from??

The Sport is still a very soft, no let me rephrase that, the sport is a very compliant ride compared with most other marques out there. Compare an A6 or a Passat with the E Class sport and they all feel very crashy compared with the Merc.

Even though the sport is firm, it is not a hard ride, not at all, take one out and see for yourself.

WOW ! thanks so much for that guys, I guess in the back of mind I had the fear of sometihng as hard as an A6 S line which just seem so bumpy and hard it sounds like the SPort is much more refined and suple /subtle.

I had an A6 3.2 Quattro SE, I hate the S-Line A6 ride wise, and the E Sport is far more refined than the A6, the avantgarde is slightly softer still, not sure if that is suspension or just wheel size?? I think it is probably just wheel size as there is not much in it at all.

I would prefer a sport over my avantgarde, but I really wanted a light interior and an exterior colour that was something other than my usual black or silver, which seemed to push me towards avantgarde.
I will probably get another set of wheels in the spring, maybe the AMG 18's or something and keep these with winter tyres on, as I actually find the avantgarde a bit too soft still, but then the cars I have had over the last 3 years have been....M3, 535d, 123d M-Sport, 335i M-Sport and the hardest of the lot the A6 SE avant, so any Merc is going to feel pretty comfy in comparison.

I think all the estates have air springs on the rear.

As for the sport thing - personally I think estates look great with big wheels and low springs, but the saloons look better with a more subtle appearance. 20K miles from the rears is going to be motorway use only though...

^ what size are on yours, look like 18"

any better pictures

I think all the estates have air springs on the rear.

As for the sport thing - personally I think estates look great with big wheels and low springs, but the saloons look better with a more subtle appearance. 20K miles from the rears is going to be motorway use only though...

You are more progressive than most of us with your driving style ;)

Sport

picture.php

picture.php

AG

picture.php

picture.php

oh crikey the lighter interior question!!! I dont like all the black leather thing and dark interiors but presumably finding a sport with cream leather is not going to happen

oh crikey the lighter interior question!!! I dont like all the black leather thing and dark interiors but presumably finding a sport with cream leather is not going to happen
Only black IIRC in sports.

AG does have a wider colour scheme range.

But I am a boring git. Black leather, silver, perfect.

oh thanks Steve i will give up looking for one without black leather does one have to have the metal drilled pedals ! not sure mt driving warrents these !

The sport is fantastic, my rears have done 30,000 miles and still have 5000 left in them. Changed the fronts at 27,000.

What are you coming from??

A colleague has just got a 2008 E220 Elegance having had a 2004 BMW 525d Sport, and he thinks the E Class feels like a boat!

A colleague has just got a 2008 E220 Elegance having had a 2004 BMW 525d Sport, and he thinks the E Class feels like a boat!

It will do, the Elegance has got extremely soft suspension, the AG and Sport are a lot firmer but not as go-kart hard as his Beamer.:D

I've had 2 pre-facelift Avantgarde estates, and now drive a facelift 280 Sports Estate. The Sport is firmer but nicer overall in my opinion (sharper steering, nicer seats) without being excessive - it's still a great motorway car. Unlike the BMW M-Sports that I have driven which were really bone-shakers.

Not sure how a facelift A/G compares with a pre-facelift though.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom