E350d Terrible mpg SOLVED

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
In my considered opinion you don't need a new thermostat or a TerraClean.

I don't understand why was there so much cynicism that I could get 59mpg? On a long journey presumably you get mid 50s if you drive like Mrs Daisy - eg in a 50mph average speed limit "Upgrading to Smart Motorway - expected finish date 2017".

I don't understand why was there so much cynicism that I could get 59mpg? On a long journey presumably you get mid 50s if you drive like Mrs Daisy - eg in a 50mph average speed limit "Upgrading to Smart Motorway - expected finish date 2017".
Seems people driving 250's are jumping on your thread . ???? A 350 more economical than a 250 mmmmm

Last edited:
You guys with your fancy, colour, hi-res displays are really pissing me off right now. Much feelings of inadequacy with my 90s style 'dot-matrix printer' display.

I can only dream of those MPG figures ...but then I didn't buy my current car for it's fuel economy ;) I do however remember marvelling at how the 3.2 inline-6 TD in the E320CDI I had many moons ago would consistently achieve over 40 mpg on a run 👍 (pic below is of my current car).

89040822_10222129500091002_2878842434488369152_o.jpg

I can only dream of those MPG figures ...but then I didn't buy my current car for it's fuel economy ;) I do however remember marvelling at how the 3.2 inline-6 TD in the E320CDI I had many moons ago would consistently achieve over 40 mpg on a run 👍 (pic below is of my current car).

View attachment 109362
Not good. I can get over 33 mpg at slightly higher average speed.

Not good. I can get over 33 mpg at slightly higher average speed.

That did take into account a 20 minute stop-start traffic jam on the approach to the Dartford Crossing so maybe it'll achieve better figures on a less snarled up route as you have the same engine & not too dissimilar vehicle. That's been it's only long-ish journey since purchase a year ago due to the current situation 🙁

If you’re cursing at 60mph on the motorway and reset your MPG indicator then you’ll see those kinda figures...

Add in the cold start up and the town driving to get on/off the motorway and it’ll plummet

My car was expensive when it was new... 11+ years and 150k miles on... not so much! :D

Expensive to maintain though... sure!

Reactions: HB
All you guys driving expensive cars worried about 5mpg .......
Quite a few fellas in this forum get a visit at xmas from 3 ghosts .

If you think that some of you guys are having sleepless nights with mpg figures with your CDIs you want to go on to the AMG part of this forum and read about the rubbish that some of them come out with! as if you buy a 5.4 supercharged V8 for economy ? makes me laugh really does

My car was expensive when it was new... 11+ years and 150k miles on... not so much! :D

Expensive to maintain though... sure!
To keep a good Mercedes good, is never cheap. I have a pristine 2006 C320cdi which is brilliant. Whoever buys it for £4/5k when the time comes will have a winner. I’ve spent £3k on a new turbo and the 7g gearbox rebuild in the last couple of years alone not to mention new shocks etc. Here at my friends house after a good wash and wax a couple of years ago.

Attachments

• 59CFA3A6-9D86-4408-BC24-8D613BFC4658.jpeg
    59CFA3A6-9D86-4408-BC24-8D613BFC4658.jpeg
    1,012.2 KB · Views: 15
I can Echo the OP experience my E350 had a faulty stat its not uncommon on these and is caused by the Electrical connector on the stat, it is actually a heater that warms the stat and opens it sooner, over time antifreeze deposits on the heated Thermostat shaft and it seizes open making the ECU think its running cold so it treats it like a cold start constantly, new stats are currently pretty impossible to find with the inbuilt heater even MB has none in the UK or Germany, I managed to find some online made by Wahle( i think it was) normal service resumed I now get approx 40-44 mpg Average not bad for a big 3 litre care with 260+bhp

Hi Daddyoftwo ,

Unfortunately their are a few members on this site that enjoy trying to belittle new members.

I don't worry about the writing they say about me and infact I really enjoy the criticism thrown at me.

So many variables regarding mpg figures but I have obtained 50 mpg on a long drive in Spain.

The engine in my car is the 3.5 lit petrol engine and on local runs currently is averaging 26 mpg.

I would not continually use terraclean systems but use super fuels instead.

I have learnt so much info from this site that the good members providing valuable technology help.

Don't let the bastards gring you down !

He's not been back since Feb unfortunately.

Hi Daddyoftwo ,

Unfortunately their are a few members on this site that enjoy trying to belittle new members.

I don't worry about the writing they say about me and infact I really enjoy the criticism thrown at me.

So many variables regarding mpg figures but I have obtained 50 mpg on a long drive in Spain.

The engine in my car is the 3.5 lit petrol engine and on local runs currently is averaging 26 mpg.

I would not continually use terraclean systems but use super fuels instead.

I have learnt so much info from this site that the good members providing valuable technology help.

Don't let the bastards gring you down !

Grind 👍

I don't get it. Why does anyone bang on about the mpg on a specific journey?

The only thing that matters regarding mpg is the overall mpg for the month or year.

And, for anyone with a newish car, it's barely relevant as they're spending a fortune on finance, depreciation, servicing, and fixes.

Which is not to say that we shouldn't keep mpg in mind, but it's no justification for a new car.

Especially in a world where almost half the CO2 created from buying and running a car was in that initial manufacturing process.

If you can’t afford to run a car then don’t buy it. Simples.
If you constantly worry about mpg then get yourself a little Korean or Japanese box not a luxury German machine.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom