• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

eBay and the deluded!

I hate selling cars - actually, I hate selling, and if I’d ever had to do it for a living I would have starved.

So I generally move cars on via trade sales - sold a couple to Arnold Clark and used BCA sure sell before they stopped it after they bought WBAC. I did sell a BMW 5 series touring on EBay - all the usual chancers etc but I eventually sold it for probably a thousand or so less than I might have got, but the guy was absolutely genuine, straight up, registered IFA. Dealing with the right person made it work for me.

I was also messaged several at midnight until I made it very clear that not only was this unacceptable but I would not sell to them because of their lack of manners and consideration.

I was also called by another "buyer" at 20:00 as we were about to eat in a pub.

They couldn't have known this so I asked them to call this morning to discuss. Their response "OK but I want to have a look at it now (in the dark!) so give me your address and we will go and look.

I declined 🤔🤣🤣

Last edited:
Young colleague of mine a few years back was selling a low value car. She had the classic con buyer - two guys turned up “from London” and proceeded to find fault with everything including oil in the coolant (which they had helpfully added - were seen). Then they started wanting to pay silly low money (if the car was as bad as they were saying, why did they still want it?!), then when that was turned down started demanding money for their petrol for the trip to view it. All fairly menacing and unpleasant - but sent on their way by my colleague’s husband (a decorated army captain) who was fairly clearly out of their league to handle.

All very unpleasant and intimidating, and of course by this stage they know who you are and where you live. I can see why some people would feel they had no option but to virtually give them the car to go away.

Hi , I won't sell anything on any platform as to much hassell.

My hair dresser has a friend who had an Audi ( copy of the Lamborghini ) and put it up for sale of AT.

First phone call received from a very genuine caller who actually appeared at his house and inspected the car and said he will have the car. He did collect the car but unfortunately forgot to pay for the it.

It's unfortunate because genuine people suffer from the action of the idiots !

Letting a total stranger into your property is not a good idea.

PS - I buy items from the likes of eBay but always collect and pay cash.

All very unpleasant and intimidating, and of course by this stage they know who you are and where you live.

I'm lucky enough to have storage at work so I always sell from there for precisely this reason.

Young colleague of mine a few years back was selling a low value car. She had the classic con buyer - two guys turned up “from London” and proceeded to find fault with everything including oil in the coolant (which they had helpfully added - were seen). Then they started wanting to pay silly low money (if the car was as bad as they were saying, why did they still want it?!), then when that was turned down started demanding money for their petrol for the trip to view it. All fairly menacing and unpleasant - but sent on their way by my colleague’s husband (a decorated army captain) who was fairly clearly out of their league to handle.

All very unpleasant and intimidating, and of course by this stage they know who you are and where you live. I can see why some people would feel they had no option but to virtually give them the car to go away.
This happened to a friend.
3 "Gentlemen" drove from Essex to Hampshire to look at his Audi A6 Avant.

The car was in excellent condition and worth what was asked

One of the claimed to be a mechanic and found many faults! The "mechanic" also has no idea if the engine had a belt or a chain drive

They offered him half of what he wanted and when he declined they said he owed them £100 for their fuel and became quite unpleasant.

He pointed out that all of this was captured on camera at which point they left.

A friend in the police ssid that these gangs target people they think may be intimidated easily and can make a lot of money each day.

Reactions: PXW
Does amuse me when I see people selling cars worth £50K+ on Facebook? I mean, would you really?

This happened to a friend.
3 "Gentlemen" drove from Essex to Hampshire to look at his Audi A6 Avant.

The car was in excellent condition and worth what was asked

One of the claimed to be a mechanic and found many faults! The "mechanic" also has no idea if the engine had a belt or a chain drive

They offered him half of what he wanted and when he declined they said he owed them £100 for their fuel and became quite unpleasant.

He pointed out that all of this was captured on camera at which point they left.

A friend in the police ssid that these gangs target people they think may be intimidated easily and can make a lot of money each day.
It sounds like selling cars on eBay is bit of a nightmare.

Or, if you have some spare yinr, see it as sport 🤣
Im just thinking of the people having to sell their diesels due to the ULEZ.

I’m not surprised so many people were against it. Having to endure the endless muppets, sharks and piss takers milling about your property with the sole intention of ripping you off.

Im just thinking of the people having to sell their diesels due to the ULEZ.

I’m not surprised so many people were against it. Having to endure the endless muppets, sharks and piss takers milling about your property with the sole intention of ripping you off.
I cannot understand the psyche of people who are clearly just playing games with genuine sellers.

Most of them are entirely transparent as being time wasters or scammers if you know what to look out for but I could imagine many others being taken in with the PayPal scams or intimidated by those who turn up in number.

SWMBO my resident Psycho (therapist) has her theories and most of them involve words we cannot use on here 😁

First guess, me first.:

The Nigerian Prince emailed you, that he has brought it unseen from you using Western Union, will have it collected for him by a third party.?
How did you know?

His Highness had his staff deal with it so all above board and apparently an Albanian transport company will collect 🤣👌

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom