ECU glitched? Your thoughts please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Graham - you have email - which may suggest it is NOT the MAS....

Originally posted by sym
Graham - you have email - which may suggest it is NOT the MAS....

Just got the same info from the helpfull (yes suprissed as you are) people at Hughes of Aylesbury.

Apprently although my break down symptoms are correct for a MAS, the car should still run at least idle really badly. It should also at least idle really badly with the MAS disconnected.

Mine wont go full stop with it disconnected, so perhaps it's not the MAS.

Looks like I had had a coincidental failure of something else.

An AA approved mechanic is suppossed to be coming to me a 9am, to try and diagnose, if not trailer me to MB's. MB know I am coming and although are busy hope to at least get a diagnostic reading for me today.

Jimmy you have PM.

Pic in case it helps.

Part in between jubilee clip and clamp at bottom.

mas.jpg

I have asked the question, just waiting for a reply. Will let you know as soon as I do.

Have left my car at dealership and got a lift to work in a Vito.

Fuel pressure checked and not that.

My company has a bit of clout with the dealer as they have a large MB fleet and my friendly fleet manager has also made a call to them to ensure they do this as priortiy.

Another theory that came to me - if my immobilisor was faulty.

It would show no engine fault, try and start then cut fuel no?

Any other guesses people?

Unless you are brave take your K&N's out now. Could be bad timing, or it could be there reputation is true.

MAS was at fault.

£303.46 inc vat + fitting.

There's only 30 minutes labour in that price, which I had to pay for diagnosis anyway - they fitted the new part for testing.

Originally posted by GrahamC230K
Unless you are brave take your K&N's out now. Could be bad timing, or it could be there reputation is true.

MAS was at fault.

£303.46 inc vat + fitting.

There's only 30 minutes labour in that price, which I had to pay for diagnosis anyway - they fitted the new part for testing.

:eek: :eek:

Its out already !! . . . . and on its way back to where I bought it (if they will take it back !)

Thes MAS seem to fail fairly frequently, has anybody a picture of one actually removed from the car, what is the sensor, is it a nickel type air probe or an actual electronic bead, surely these "small parts" can be replaced and recalibrated at a fraction of the price or even reconditioned. Does the same MAS fit all the C class or is it a different one for each engine size, just very curious.

Excuse my poor explanation, but apparently it comes down to a load on a wire.

If there is too much air flow the load on the wire can burn it out as it is beyond the normal tolerance. Aslo oil on the wire can make it burn ou too.

K&N reseller is giving me a refund on the part and K&N will look at my claim if I give supporting evidence it was their fault. They would be happy for me to re-fit the filter!

They are well aware of my scenario as they have had lots of complaints but there is no evidence as the MAS sensor can fail even with a paper filter.

I shall write to MB initially for their backing then put a claim into K&N.

That part number keeps coming back as a 'bad number'!! It is a Bosch number but appears it is not available from anywhere other than MB at the moment.

Sounds like you have it sorted anyway, but I will try and find out how much I can get it for out of interest.

I took my K&N out last night, dont want to risk it!!

MB HQ have had no similar reports and the dealership Service Manager will not support a claim against K&N.

He says they get a fairly high failure rate after servicing cars. Whilst change the air filter it is important not to unsettle any dust etc. It is common apparently and MB service depts have been circulated with warnings about replacing air filters carfully.

Incidentally last week I noticed but never posted that my car idled really high when i 1st started in the morning and pulled out of garage - like 1500rpm - has never idled that higfh ever.

Me thinks I am just unlucky and my MASS was a bit shot anyway, but leaving my car all alone now.

Last edited:
Which MB's have this MAS sensor, i hope my 124 E220 doesnt have it! I have heard of soo many cases now.....

By the way, didnt (Steve Perrys i think) Mas sensor cost only a couple of hundred last week, surely its the same part??

Jay

Yes a few hundred plus, VAT, plus diags = £303.

Originally posted by jaymanek
By the way, didnt (Steve Perrys i think) Mas sensor cost only a couple of hundred last week, surely its the same part??

Dealerships are free to charge whatever they like MB HQ only gives out advisory price guides, so there maybe differences in prices from different dealers and certainly ones in different locations. I'll post the bill for my repair when I get home tonight.

Glad to hear your car is sorted Graham. Does it feel any smoother/more powerful since getting the new MAS unit?

S.

Not driven far, bit SC was certainly loud on this HOT day.

Like I say now I recall I had funny idling last week so I think it was on way out b4 K&N anyway.

I get car out garage then invariably drive for 20 minutes without stopping weekdays so I would not see an Idle problem coming.

Our parts will differ slightly as my MAS is located different to yours and in a different housing.

Just go to put my trim back on around tow hook and it's back to normal.

My total bill was £274.53:

Electrical system check. Air mass showing as low. Mass airflow sensor remove and install. Replace as required. - Labour Total: £52.65

Part Number: A 112 094 00 48, Description: Air Mass Sensor, Price £201.10, Qty: 1, Value: £180.99

Total Ex VAT: 233.64

I thought at the time that it was strange that the 'parts value' was less than the 'parts price' but I decided not to query the bill :D

Graham, I agree our bills will be different because of different parts used. Still seems alot to fork out for what is essentially a bit of wire that heats up to different temperatures depending on how much air is flowing over it.

S.

:D :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

I got a refund on my K&N (just not brave enough to use it now).

But, the best thing was going from work to the store was my 1st drive in the car with the new MAS (apart from around the corner in traffic). Well. Car has never ever driven like that since I owned it. The MAS must have had something wrong before all along as the car is so smooth, responsive and it just GOES!

If I HAD got a chip and it made a difference like that I would have been happy. Although not planned, that is one of the best three hundred pounds I have spent.

Can't belive it, I am well pleased.

For those interested, this is the culprit - does not look like £200's worth.

mas1.jpg

mas2.jpg

Originally posted by GrahamC230K
But, the best thing was going from work to the store was my 1st drive in the car with the new MAS (apart from around the corner in traffic). Well. Car has never ever driven like that since I owned it. The MAS must have had something wrong before all along as the car is so smooth, responsive and it just GOES!

If I HAD got a chip and it made a difference like that I would have been happy. Although not planned, that is one of the best three hundred pounds I have spent.

Can't belive it, I am well pleased.

:D It's great isn' t it?!! Mine was exactly the same after the fix too... loads more power delivered much more smoothly :cool: Hehe you can see my enthusiastic posts further up the thread. :bannana:

Just out of interest, is the part reference on your bill the same?

S.

Part no:

M00 094 09 48 L.Massenme

£210.27 +vat

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom