edc light on and won't start up!! help needed (sprinter)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

barnsleymandan

Car
bmw 1series
Hi all! New to the forum so hope I'm in the right place. I bought a 04 mercedes sprinter luton van a few weeks back and it was driving like a dream until Sunday when a red light flashed up with EDC and lost all power and would not start back up which resulted in me being towed back home by the RAC. I noticed a lot of carbon build up on the engine so I've cleaned that and there was also a mass build up of this around the injector 1. So I went and got this tested and the injector was fine so I just replaced to copper washer at he bottom and I was hoping thst would be the end! Sadly not... I've since had to fit a new starter motor after I wore the other one out by keep trying to start the van.

Anyway I got a mechanic to come and read the diagnostics but he said it wasn't making any sense and wasn't fetching any codes up. When I sprayed easy start the van was trying to start and came very close but it seems that the computer is not allowing it to.

There is fuel in the tank, and their was a slight bit of air in the fuel pipe which I sorted out. Also the glow plug light will not go off and has been on 2 days before my breakdown. I was actually on my way to the garage when I broke down!!

Does anyone know what this problem is likely to be? Being self employed this has left me out of pocket for a full week and it's really starting to get to me as I feel like I'm being passed from pillar to post.

If anyone has got any help I would really appreciate it.

It's a 2.2 litre 311 sprinter luton 2004 plate.

Would need to see which fault codes your man has pulled out of it, but I'll bet it's fuel pressure related.

I've bled the air out of the fuel now and it is still trying to fire up but it's just not quite there! Could this be the crank sensor? Diagnostic bloke can't come while tuesday again now so I really am stuck.

If the rev counter needle bounces slightly during cranking the engine then the crank sensor is probably ok as it provides the signal for the rev counter.

I would perform an injector leak-off test as it sounds like an injector fault, or possibly one of the injector electric plugs not making a good connection.

Hi All

could it be the camshaft sensor, I had a very similar issue with my previous S320cdi whci in the end would try to start with easy start but wouldnt kick in.

Lots of people said it was pressure related but turned out to be the Camshaft sensor, very cheap at about £20 from euro car parts.

Apparently, the engine needs the camshaft sensor reading to start but once started will happily run on just the crank sensor readings

Chris

Hi all! Problem solved.... as a previous poster said it was the housing socket on the number 2 injector that was in a bad way. I've clip tied all of them for now and I'm going to replace them on Monday. Over the moon we got to the bottom of it!

Hi, reviving an old thread because I have exactly the same issue as Barnsleymandan. Mine is a 208 CDI MWB 2001 Sprinter.

Recently had all new injectors fitted and a fuel pump rebuild. Was driving along and the EDC light came on and lost all power. Got it started a couple of times whilst still rolling on the hard shoulder but it just kept cutting out and now it wont start. Tried the Easystart trick and yes, it will eat that and turn over but obviously back to square one once it's burned the Easytstart. Ran an OBDII scan and nothing coming back.

I'm not sure what BArnsleymandan means by the 'housing socket' on the injector...what is that?

I have removed the plastic air ducting from the air intake manifold so I can access the injectors properly and the electric plugs that attach to them. Some of them look fairly old and gunked up. I'll try and remove them and clean them up with some electrical contact cleaning spray but in the meantime, any suggestions much appreciated.

I'm still in need of help!! Please!

Barnsleyman - what do you mean by 'injector housing socket'? I have replaced all 4 of the electric plugs from the loom that connect to the injectors and these are brand new injectors too. I replaced the crank sensor, the cam sensor, pulled the fuel tank off to check if anything was going on their and I am still not able to start it. Replaced all fuel hoses and clips.

When I squeeze the priming bulb it pulls fuel from the tank and into the filter. I got rid of any air bubbles too.

Is anyone able to help?

Looks like Barnsleyman dan has not been seen since 2015,,I doubt I can help I do not know the sprinter engine,but last week on a diesel Passat the swirl flaps had stuck closed and that stopped it starting

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom