[SOLVED] Engine / Gearbox Undertray

Discussion in 'Engine' started by Rob77, Jan 22, 2016.

1. Rob77

Rob77 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    '90 W201 2.6 Sportline; '96 S124 E300D; '94 Aprilia Pegaso 650
    Here's a daft question for the panel :doh:

On my S124, the engine undertray was damaged over the Christmas period and removed. It has never had a gearbox undertray in my ownership (or if so it was removed by someone and never refitted).

Since then, I've sourced both undertrays and I'm having them fitted next week.

Given that the exposed bits will have been covered in muck and salt, should I get the underside cleaned before I get the undertrays fitted and, if so, how? Or am I just being stupid and should just get them fitted?

2. grober

grober MB Club Veteran

Car:
    W204 C200CDI Estate
    A careful steam clean or jet wash up on a ramp might be a good idea but not essential. The undertrays on the diesel models formed part of a sound capsule and the front section contributes to underbody aerodynamics. If its any consolation most rusting doesn't take place a very cold temperatures [ its a thermodynamic mediated reaction] so if you remove the bulk of any corrosive residues now you should be fine

1 person likes this.