Engine rebuild

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
To be fair when an engine dlips a tooth or strips them very rarely the botom end gets damaged its always the weekest point(valves usually and usually takes the rockers with them in my experience ive only had a couple which have done major damage to warrant a complete engine swop 🙂

To be fair when an engine dlips a tooth or strips them very rarely the botom end gets damaged its always the weekest point(valves usually and usually takes the rockers with them in my experience ive only had a couple which have done major damage to warrant a complete engine swop 🙂
Yeah I found it strange how they went from looking at the timing chain to "you need a engine swap" lol

Talk to Terry at Wayne Gates in Harrow:

Thanks MarkJay, Harrow it's a bit far for me but still I sent over a email, see what they say 😁

Thanks MarkJay, Harrow it's a bit far for me but still I sent over a email, see what they say 😁

Where about in London are you?

So got another quote from a place called regal engines in Essex, for a full reconditioned engine fitted will cost £2300 with 12 month warranty or 12000 miles which ever comes first. This sounds way more reasonable but I rather have them inspect the engine and see if I can drop the price down if I only need a few parts changing and not a whole engine rebuild 😅 will update

As already mentioned before the swop if you go down that route have the chain and guides done on the replacement engine as a precaution, it just goes to show the price is halved already the other garage wanted to pull your pants down!

Well get a mobile mechanic to come round and take the head off and inspect what damage there is,this will be the cheapest way,then armed with what the mechanic says you can ring round places like Regal Engines ,as it is the car is not going so it will need picking up,it does not matter to a engine rebuild people if the head is attached or not.

Well get a mobile mechanic to come round and take the head off and inspect what damage there is,this will be the cheapest way,then armed with what the mechanic says you can ring round places like Regal Engines ,as it is the car is not going so it will need picking up,it does not matter to a engine rebuild people if the head is attached or not.
Exactly what i suggested earlier 👍

Where abouts are you? We’re in Reading.
So got another quote from a place called regal engines in Essex, for a full reconditioned engine fitted will cost £2300 with 12 month warranty or 12000 miles which ever comes first. This sounds way more reasonable but I rather have them inspect the engine and see if I can drop the price down if I only need a few parts changing and not a whole engine rebuild 😅 will update
I’m always sceptical on cheap rebuilt engines, you get what you pay for. The bottom end on an mb engine is better than any rebuild and why pay for extra labour changing something that’s not needed.

Where abouts are you? We’re in Reading.

I’m always sceptical on cheap rebuilt engines, you get what you pay for. The bottom end on an mb engine is better than any rebuild and why pay for extra labour changing something that’s not needed.
It wont be a rebuilt engine he says refurbed engine too totally different meanings it will just of had a clean up and probably new valves renewed😁

Reactions: SMS
It wont be a rebuilt engine he says refurbed engine too totally different meanings it will just of had a clean up and probably new valves renewed😁

Yes... :D

I am in IT, and there are quite a few people selling 'refurbished' IT kit which means they have given it a good clean... some do a proper job, obviously, but there are too many Arthur Daleys out there.

Well I would get the old engine rebuilt,I suppose it depends on the need for the use of the car, I would expect two weeks for a rebuild, maybe a week for a refurbished engine,and even those are on the basis that your old engine is repairable,best ring around.

No need for a rebuild, it’s only top end and chain. Week max.

I totally agree with SMS probably the head only new valve's skim headgasket new headbolts away you go no coding or anything
Could zipdip define what he clases as a rebuilt engine i think you will have a shock what it actually means🤔

Agreed that the most likely outcome is that only the top end will need to be rebuilt, however there's still a chance that the piston crowns were damaged and a smaller chance that one or more of the conrods are bent - in which case the total financial outlay could be much higher than just a head job.

The reason this is relevant, is that when choosing between various possible solutions, the potential risks need to be weighted-in as well.

The advantage of not removing the head - e.g. opting for a refurbished or rebuilt engine etc - is that the risk of having to incur additional unexpected costs is much lower.

And, the OP should also obtain a quote for disassembly and inspection, i.e. so that he knows what are costs are in the event that he decides to not go ahead with the repair - or - will he be able to pay for a more substantial repair job if it does turn-out that the damage is more extensive than just the valves?

So I think that the way forward should be decided based on the OP's risk appetite and financial circumstances.

Last edited:
In all the ones we have done over the years, we have ever only seen one piston cracked, and we have done many.

Attachments

• BE7E8F91-74F3-40C0-BDC2-857692C7A749.jpeg
    BE7E8F91-74F3-40C0-BDC2-857692C7A749.jpeg
    1.2 MB · Views: 23
Im with you on that 1 ive never came across 1 either, if the head was removed by a competent mechanic you could tell from there to what extent the damage was, it's all guess work until the head is removed 🙄

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom