Engine transplant vito 115/ 120

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Not worried what it's worth after as I will keep it for years.
Even if you can't insure it?

You are going to do all this yourself?

You must have a lot of spare time on your hands.

Do you have a Star diag. machine?

Why would I need star?
I would swap everything van to van as units even the auto box.
Out the bottom in one unit.
like a re shell.

Why would I need star?
like a re shell.

I genuinely admire your enthusiasm for this job and I can tell how much you love your 115, but the full idea seems a bit overkill to me.

How much time do you think this will take? Because at one point you are going to have two vans both without an engine.

:) I know
Not sure on time and we do have two other cars.
I could have one out in a day easy enough.
When you look under the bonnet on the vito there is lots of room.
I have been cross ref parts today and the rad forward is the same so engine is one unit with the harness going to the ecu, also under the bonnet.
It's just what more needs changing.
Few years ago I rebuilt a Range rover back to body rebuild, including fitting a 3.9 engine in place of a 3.5 and upgrading the auto box, but a lot has changed I know that with ecu's
I had a 205 gti years ago I put a 405 mi16 engine in that with all the monotronik injection wiring!
That was a dash forward strip down.
I have also Re built a crashed 205 gti with a new body.

Why would I need star?
like a re shell.

Getting the engine and auto box in will be the least of your issues. The point I'm making is this; you'll need to switch keys, security, abs modules, ECUs. Is stuff like the ABS pump even physically in the same place? Do the two vans use the same loom or does it need to be swapped? Every module controlling the engine, gearbox, air co, ABS, alarm etc etc will be coded via the CAN Bus, you can't mix and match. It'll be a nightmare to get it to work.

Like 312Sprinter said, your main problem may well become the ecu and the electrics.

If you do go ahead, it would make a brilliant thread in the 'how-to' section of the forum.

I thats what I thought
When you open the bonnet everything is in the same place, even the air box is the same, same rad nothing is moved.
I will cross ref front loom,if it's the same just swap all the modules?

When you look under the bonnet on the vito there is lots of room.
Depends what you're used to I guess, the engine bay in my 120 seems quite full to me!

pic16.jpg

Good luck if you go ahead with this. But do please check out the re-registration/insurance angle.

Thanks for that.
When you take the air box of is less cramped.
I am contacting dvla today.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom