• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

EQC 400 matic

DJ22

Car
EQC 400 Matic
I have now had my EQC for 6 weeks and it it’s full charge has never gone over 200 miles so looks like it’s back to Mercedes you would have thought after there emissions lies they wouldn’t compound it with further misinformation?

I think battery range is supposed to be indicative like mpg not what is actually achievable.

I have now had my EQC for 6 weeks and it it’s full charge has never gone over 200 miles so looks like it’s back to Mercedes you would have thought after there emissions lies they wouldn’t compound it with further misinformation?
@DJ22 Depends upon your driving style, external temperature and what speeds you were doing.

Why is it misinformation when any EVs typically never reach the claimed range according to the NEDC/WLTP test results?

How many miles range were you expecting in the real world from your EQC? I'm not having a go at you, I'm simply curious. What size wheels do you have on your EQC? From the real world tests I've read, it seems that maximum range seems to be about 200 miles on these cars.

@DJ22 WhatCar's real world testing are getting just 176 miles range out of the EQC when temperatures dip down.

Look at Carwow's tests of EVs from 2020 where they ran the cars until the batteries were flat, none of the EVs tested managed the "claimed" range, although some did better than others. The EQC got 194 miles

Furthermore, if you only got the car 6 weeks ago, you haven't been able to drive the car in the summer when the real world range would be higher than during spring temperatures.

Well the car may disappoint, fair enough, but if it's not a fault why take it to the dealer - unlikely they'll be able to 'fix' it.

Either you have a legal case under the Consumer Protection Act case for compensation or even a full refund, or you don't - if the latter, then just get rid if the car and put it down to experience.

But you'll be wasting both yours and the dealer's time if looking for a non-existent fault.

Just trying to be pragmatic.

Hello DJ and welcome to the forum. In my opinion people like you that buy this type of car (from any manufacturer) in good faith are nothing but paying guinea pigs in their worldwide experiments to prove/test drive their unfinished products .

The next generation of buyers will thank you for your service. ....maybe..

The figure MB quote is the WLTP figure which is generated under standardised laboratory conditions. SO FOR INTER VEHICLE COMPARISONS IT MAY BE USEFUL but invariably proves lower in real world conditions. Chances are your car would still meet the quoted range if subjected to the WLTP test.
always best to research real world experience from EV review sites
e.g.

Hello DJ and welcome to the forum. In my opinion people like you that buy this type of car (from any manufacturer) in good faith are nothing but paying guinea pigs in their worldwide experiments to prove/test drive their unfinished products .

The next generation of buyers will thank you for your service. ....maybe..
@Petrol Pete In what way are EVs (from any manufacturer) "unfinished products"? If they were really unfinished and unproven, why are sales of EVs growing (in the UK and around the world)? Do all ICE cars (petrol or diesel) match up 100% to the claimed MPG figures shown in the brochures?

The figure MB quote is the WLTP figure which is generated under standardised laboratory conditions. SO FOR INTER VEHICLE COMPARISONS IT MAY BE USEFUL but invariably proves lower in real world conditions. Chances are your car would still meet the quoted range if subjected to the WLTP test.
always best to research real world experience from EV review sites
e.g.
@grober Yes! MB even state that upfront on their website about their EVs!

"Figures shown are for comparability purposes; only compare with other cars tested to the same technical procedures. Figures may not reflect real life driving results, which will depend upon a number of factors including the starting charge of the battery, factory-fitted options, accessories fitted (post registration), variations in weather, driving styles and vehicle load."

@Petrol Pete In what way are EVs (from any manufacturer) "unfinished products"? If they were really unfinished and unproven, why are sales of EVs growing (in the UK and around the world)? Do all ICE cars (petrol or diesel) match up 100% to the claimed MPG figures shown in the brochures?
Sales of EV's are growing because of government subsidies on a worldwide scale . The ICE cars we drive now are a result of 100 years of technical evolution and we all know the first cars on the dirt track of the past were EV's one hundred years ago. ICE took over pretty soon after that.

With modern technology I have no doubt that EV's will become the norm . But they are currently (pun intended) experimental vehicles.

Sales of EV's are growing because of government subsidies on a worldwide scale . The ICE cars we drive now are a result of 100 years of technical evolution and we all know the first cars on the dirt track of the past were EV's one hundred years ago. ICE took over pretty soon after that.

With modern technology I have no doubt that EV's will become the norm . But they are currently (pun intended) experimental vehicles.
@Petrol Pete That's certainly one aspect, but I've interviewed countless owners of EVs (from different manufacturers) who are extremely satisfied with their "experimental" EVs as you put it, and would never go back to an ICE car of any kind. For some, it's the relatively low running costs (fuel and servicing), for others it's the performance, and for others a desire to have zero emissions (at the tailpipe) - none of them feel like they are paying guinea pigs - I guess in marketing terms, they might be labelled as "early adopters" but the same could be said of those consumers who bought the first mobile phones, laptops etc

Get yourself a petrol or diesel 800 miles to a tank full then stop at a fuel station fill it up....takes 2 minutes and off you go again. 😂😂. They told us to buy a diesel now they want us to buy EVs, what's next .... i just hope what ever it is has a range of more than 200 miles.

Get yourself a petrol or diesel 800 miles to a tank full then stop at a fuel station fill it up....takes 2 minutes and off you go again. 😂😂. They told us to buy a diesel now they want us to buy EVs, what's next .... i just hope what ever it is has a range of more than 200 miles.
@Bri Different people will have different needs. Yes, there are drivers who drive hundreds of miles in a day on a round trip (and hence EVs are not suitable at present), but equally there are many whose daily mileage is far less than 40-50 miles. I know quite a few people who drive an older Nissan Leaf/BMW i3 (which have a really low range) because their daily driving is under 40 miles a day round trip, and they just recharge at home overnight.

In the UK I would be surprised if any more than 1% of cars cover more than 100 miles in a day in any given day.

For those who can afford to buy/lease and charge at home, work or public charging point, an EV makes sense for the majority.

@Bri Different people will have different needs. Yes, there are drivers who drive hundreds of miles in a day on a round trip (and hence EVs are not suitable at present), but equally there are many whose daily mileage is far less than 40-50 miles. I know quite a few people who drive an older Nissan Leaf/BMW i3 (which have a really low range) because their daily driving is under 40 miles a day round trip, and they just recharge at home overnight.
Yes i agree with you on the people who only drive 40 or so miles a day, but D was complaining because he is only getting 200 miles to a charge whereas Mercedes clamed he would get more. I have a E class diesel and get around 55 mpg but Mercedes clam i can get 70 mpg, we all know that's near imposable but we just accept that.:rolleyes:

According to the calculator at the recommended 80% battery charge the range is 200 miles
the small print refers to Regulation (EU) 2017/1153 =WLTP

Last edited:
Yes i agree with you on the people who only drive 40 or so miles a day, but D was complaining because he is only getting 200 miles to a charge whereas Mercedes clamed he would get more. I have a E class diesel and get around 55 mpg but Mercedes clam i can get 70 mpg, we all know that's near imposable but we just accept that.:rolleyes:
Have you got a link to these claims?

Anyone who needs a car that can do 200 miles on a full charge, then buys a car that is advertised as capable of 200 miles on a full charge, is sailing very close to the wind....

@Petrol Pete That's certainly one aspect, but I've interviewed countless owners of EVs (from different manufacturers) who are extremely satisfied with their "experimental" EVs as you put it, and would never go back to an ICE car of any kind. For some, it's the relatively low running costs (fuel and servicing), for others it's the performance, and for others a desire to have zero emissions (at the tailpipe) - none of them feel like they are paying guinea pigs - I guess in marketing terms, they might be labelled as "early adopters" but the same could be said of those consumers who bought the first mobile phones, laptops etc
What were you expecting to hear? Of course they will tell how happy they are with the purchase. Were you expecting to hear that the range is ridiculous, that they are paying hundreds of pounds per month for a car that can take them nowhere, that if cold outside they wear several layers of clothes as there will be no heating in a car as it will kill the range even further, that no dealer service can do proper diagnostic if something is wrong and even when they diagnose it they wont know how to fix it.
Of course they will not tell you that. Not because they have something against you or me but because they don’t want to be the only ones who bit the bullet and now regret it.

What were you expecting to hear? Of course they will tell how happy they are with the purchase. Were you expecting to hear that the range is ridiculous, that they are paying hundreds of pounds per month for a car that can take them nowhere, that if cold outside they wear several layers of clothes as there will be no heating in a car as it will kill the range even further, that no dealer service can do proper diagnostic if something is wrong and even when they diagnose it they wont know how to fix it.
Of course they will not tell you that. Not because they have something against you or me but because they don’t want to be the only ones who bit the bullet and now regret it.
Or they could just be enjoying it. That’s a very extreme picture you’re painting, which is perhaps the perception of those opposed to EVs, but is not the reality of the majority of EV drivers, especially for households with more than one car.

—-

I can’t remember my last journey which I couldn’t have used an EV for. Possibly last Summer towing a caravan 200-ish miles, but not everyone tows caravans, and many of those that do have more than one car in the household - like we do, so an EV would make good sense for us.

We don’t have an EV because I don’t want one just yet, not because I think they’re useless. The time will come where we might need to have one though so I’m happy to wait until then.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom