• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

EQC 400 matic

JBD is right about selling cars like this into the company car market , I am going back some years but the bunch of engineers I worked with just used our company cars as a way to get to and (hopefully) from a place where we worked on complex machinery all day.

As a result few of them were pampered and I remember written warnings being given out for service engineers constantly missing car services because they were 'too busy' . When the engines went pop the company had to pay because of 'customer abuse of vehicle' . The state of the interiors of some of the cars had to be seen to be believed :eek:.

There were about 100 CC drivers in the pool , some of us were getting a new car every 18 months ...carnage. I would like to think things are different now.

I would like to think things are different now.
No it’s all the same and there lies a problem with company car proposal of EVs. Sales rep or service engineer while driving from a customer A to B is either thinking of work he/she did or has to do, what’s going on at home or when the trip will end and doesn’t want to think of the range or regenerating the battery by pressing this or that button. For them the car is a tool which in essence is correct.
The state of interiors/exteriors of some privately leased cars I saw is a pigsty. I wouldn’t spend a second in those how filthy they are. Just disgusting.

One of our blokes liked to order the Toyota available to us (Carina ?) because it had a pull out storage draw under the drivers seat that he used as an ashtray, compared to the ashtray you normally get in a car this storage draw was massive ...and full of cigarette butts in his car :eek:. I think he would have to empty it maybe 3 times in the whole time he had the car . He had 3 Toyotas over the time we worked together.

I have now had my EQC for 6 weeks and it it’s full charge has never gone over 200 miles so looks like it’s back to Mercedes you would have thought after there emissions lies they wouldn’t compound it with further misinformation?
Ive had mine about the same time (just done 1,350 miles) and did my first long trip from Somerset to Lake District with all the range anxiety of an EV virgin. Having done the motorway trip outbound with 2 short stops at one 50 kph and one 150 kph charger for around 30 minutes each (normal stop times for ICE) the trip was effortless. Once in Keswick a 100% recharge on a rapid charger showed 245 miles which I believe was based on the fact that I had just done the last 240+ miles all on the motorway and it allowed for that extra efficiency. Coming home I left with 90% and stopped once for 30/40 minutes lunch at a 50kwh charger after two and a half hours driving (which I would have done anyway) and got home to Weston super Mare. I followed the onboard satnav for suggested charging points on this first trip but think I will select my own in the future (zap-map or similar) and try to only use rapid if I can.

Also try ABRP ( A Better Route Planner ), if you use Apple Car play then you can have it on the Mercedes screen.

Ive had mine about the same time (just done 1,350 miles) and did my first long trip from Somerset to Lake District with all the range anxiety of an EV virgin. Having done the motorway trip outbound with 2 short stops at one 50 kph and one 150 kph charger for around 30 minutes each (normal stop times for ICE) the trip was effortless. Once in Keswick a 100% recharge on a rapid charger showed 245 miles which I believe was based on the fact that I had just done the last 240+ miles all on the motorway and it allowed for that extra efficiency. Coming home I left with 90% and stopped once for 30/40 minutes lunch at a 50kwh charger after two and a half hours driving (which I would have done anyway) and got home to Weston super Mare. I followed the onboard satnav for suggested charging points on this first trip but think I will select my own in the future (zap-map or similar) and try to only use rapid if I can.
Great to hear that an EV really can be used - even for long distance driving - without compromising your journey.

Or they could just be enjoying it. That’s a very extreme picture you’re painting, which is perhaps the perception of those opposed to EVs, but is not the reality of the majority of EV drivers, especially for households with more than one car.

—-

I can’t remember my last journey which I couldn’t have used an EV for. Possibly last Summer towing a caravan 200-ish miles, but not everyone tows caravans, and many of those that do have more than one car in the household - like we do, so an EV would make good sense for us.

We don’t have an EV because I don’t want one just yet, not because I think they’re useless. The time will come where we might need to have one though so I’m happy to wait until then.
In Australia our Conservative government successfully ran an anti-EV agenda at the 2018 Federal elections to gee-up all the barking-mad red-necks. They claimed EV's would ruin the weekend and couldn't tow a trailer/caravan/boat despite all the DC motors running the trains/mining equipment, etc. I regularly tow a trailer with my EQC on 600-700km trips, often loaded up quite heavily. And yes, I do have to stop more often to charge if I'm coming back up to Canberra from the coast, but going down the hill isn't a problem at all.

And yes, I do have to stop more often to charge if I'm coming back up to Canberra from the coast, but going down the hill isn't a problem at all.
Isn't that where the savings on running costs on EVs are lost in the amount of (expensive) coffee and brownies consumed whilst waiting for it to charge

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom