EQC Battery Rang really bad or is it me!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well just finished reading What Car,they are less than pleased with their EQC on long term test,I had no idea the EQC was a 80 grand car,it has a range of 200 miles,and the guy decide to run from London to the south coast a round trip of 170 miles,having got there he thought they would have to charge on the way back which spoilt the fish and chip lunch for him,as it was he had 30 miles in the battery when he got home because of a following wind,he has had a number of electrical faults and a uncalled for emergency stop performed outside a school,you have to be a brave soul to buy a all electric car.

Suggest the OP watches the Harry’s Garage video on YouTube about his experience of testing a Volkswagen ID. Deals with this whole range topic.

To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

I remember a few years back in diesel utopia time alot of manufacturers were banging on about their 800 plus mile ranges blah diddy blah, wonder if anybody actually got near to that ? :) ?

Almost... :)

Fnarr. :) I said did anyone "actually get that" not what it says on a chuffin (lying) screen !!!! My van says 750 miles on the screen every time I fill up, lying fook that it is ! Never got over 550.

Reactions: Ted
I remember a few years back in diesel utopia time alot of manufacturers were banging on about their 800 plus mile ranges blah diddy blah, wonder if anybody actually got near to that ? :) ?

I think I'd be more concerned with how close to reality a claim for 200 miles was -rather than one for 800 being 10% out.

I run a VW lump that claims 42mpg in the brochure - which would give a 785 miles. Several years of ownership experience leads me to expect a usable 700 miles on long distance A and B road tours. I expect 640 in regular mixed use. And just below 600 if I just do a suburban commuting for 3 weeks.

My experience of the likes of the MB A180d/C220d/E220d and BMW 320d is that they get decent range on long distance cruising at legal speeds. 60mpg+ is easily achievable. 50 litres of fuel will get you about 600 miles.

Fnarr. :) I said did anyone "actually get that" not what it says on a chuffin (lying) screen !!!! My van says 750 miles on the screen every time I fill up, lying fook that it is ! Never got over 550.
Well thats twice what you can get out of a electric car with a 40 min charge up to 80%,I suppose thats great if you want breakfast while you wait,maybe that is the whole point,load these charging areas with outlets,so the punter saves money on the fueling of the electric car but blows it buying coffee and cake.must get up to that Braintree electric charge site and see what business it is doing.

I think that post by the author of this thread needs to be referred to whenever we debate whether the EV is fit to replace ICE powered vehicles.

Don't folks see just how silly their statements are when they suggest heating the seat instead of heating the car? Oh, I guess it is okay for the driver to be warm, but stuff the rear seat passengers, let them freeze.

Charging the car in a warm garage!! Nuff said

The range is 220 but after just a few miles it drops to 160. Bang goes all the must have planning for any type of long journey.

The whole read of that post is banging nail after nail into the EV argument. YES..... EV owners will try to disagree with that post but this is from someone that bought a practically new vehicle with just 8 miles on the clock. That post needs to be respected and those that disagree really need to do a lot of talking.

In winter with a fully loaded car with all seats occupied, how is the range affected?

My issues with EVs may be about to be addressed. I'll miss a V8, but if the claims are accurate, I will find it hard to justify anything else.

"Toyota claims that its newly developed batteries can also enable a maximum EV range of 500km in one full charge and a zero to 100% charging time of just 10 minutes..."

Maybe my previous position of hanging out until hydrogen is sorted is looking more untenable.

Last edited:
"Toyota claims that its newly developed batteries can also enable a maximum EV range of 500km in one full charge and a zero to 100% charging time of just 10 minutes..."

I mentioned earlier that Toyota have yet to market a full EV, concentrating instead on their successful hybrids. It looks like they realised the limitations of L-ion batteries and have held out until they can supply an EV with a battery that does the job properly. Lets hope solid state batteries are the answer and not still too horrendously expensive or that they come down in price within a reasonable time frame. I suspect that the reality will be that an affordable sold state battery EV is still a good few years off yet.

Last edited:
Well the EV debate have failed to make a case for these cars ,they are still selling very few cars,no car maker can go forward on the number of EV cars,they are all hoping something happens,there must be some very worried bosses,they I expect had targets and I suspect they have not been met,as I say it makes little difference to me I will not buy one,we are in the grip of the green lobby,but given if everybody did all the green measures we could for a whole years in this country,what we save in emissions will be polluted in one afternoon by China,I can see no point in going down the green route until the major polluters have reduced their own,all we will do is raise our own costs while the big polluters take advantage.

I had one for a long weekend, did some miles and thought a great car apart from the range anxiety when driving.
Got down to 1/4 charge, used the app to find a fast charger, most taken or broken, found one slow one which would give me enough charge to get to a fast charge point. It said the car wouldn’t be fully charged till early Monday morn and this was on Saturday lunch time !!!
Every time you stop, you undoubtedly get a coffee and snack to pass the boredom.
Great car, fast and comfy BUT not there yet unless it’s used for local runs. So if I was spending £70k+ of my hard earned it would be a hybrid or ice.

I had one for a long weekend, did some miles and thought a great car apart from the range anxiety when driving.
Got down to 1/4 charge, used the app to find a fast charger, most taken or broken, found one slow one which would give me enough charge to get to a fast charge point. It said the car wouldn’t be fully charged till early Monday morn and this was on Saturday lunch time !!!
Every time you stop, you undoubtedly get a coffee and snack to pass the boredom.
Great car, fast and comfy BUT not there yet unless it’s used for local runs. So if I was spending £70k+ of my hard earned it would be a hybrid or ice.
@SMS The EQC is not the best example of a good EV. It's too expensive for what it is, and feels to be more of a vehicle for MB to say "We have something electric out there" rather than genuinely be pushing boundaries of EV technology forwards, like some manufacturers have.

Tesla Model S still king of the hill when it comes to maximum range (in addition to the supercharger network, so one wouldn't have to cope with the crap UK infrastructure) and forthcoming Lucid Air also promises a useful amount of range.

EVs will be improving rapidly over the next few years, as will the charging infrastructure (depending upon where you live and travel)

My issues with EVs may be about to be addressed. I'll miss a V8, but if the claims are accurate, I will find it hard to justify anything else.

From the article:

Toyota has yet to specify when exactly we’ll be seeing the new battery—as well as the prototype it’ll be powering—in action. One thing’s for sure: We’ll be keeping an eye out for it ourselves.

And the article has no detailed numbers - just general claims.

It may be a while before it becomes "hard to justify anything else".

It may be a while before it becomes "hard to justify anything else".
I didn't suggest anything different. I would never opt to be an early adopter, I let others waste their money and blood pressure. My guess is easily 5+ years away before they are remotely affordable.

My wife has difficulty in making sure that the fuel needle stays above the reserve level , there's no way she could plan ahead so that the battery is charged and the preheating is done before she leaves the house . She always sets the heating at max first thing in the morning so I wonder what the chances are of her getting to work and have enough charge left to get home ?

Sounds like my wife. In her car, the fan seems to always be at 4 or off.

So when I get I either can't hear the radio for all the roaring or it's really quiet in there but I find the windows are immediately steaming up.

I'm not sure what's wrong with settings 1,2 or 3.

Thank God for the climate in mine...

I didn't suggest anything different. I would never opt to be an early adopter, I let others waste their money and blood pressure. My guess is easily 5+ years away before they are remotely affordable.
'Affordable' means different things to different people. If the residuals are strong, an expensive EV to buy new is still worth decent money after a few years. The trouble for EVs is that the technology is still evolving relatively rapidly, and the battery cost (hence available range) is a significant factor. If the cost or capacity of batteries takes a big step in the right direction in the next few years, or fuel cells finally come good, the residuals of this generation of EVs will collapse. So at this point you have to be a very eager early adopter prepared to take the hit, or leasing.

Sounds like my wife. In her car, the fan seems to always be at 4 or off.

So when I get I either can't hear the radio for all the roaring or it's really quiet in there but I find the windows are immediately steaming up.

I'm not sure what's wrong with settings 1,2 or 3.

Thank God for the climate in mine...
Must be a woman thing , fan either off or setting 4 , temparature setting cold or 26 , if you need to alter a setting 90deg left or right will do it.

'Affordable' means different things to different people. If the residuals are strong, an expensive EV to buy new is still worth decent money after a few years. The trouble for EVs is that the technology is still evolving relatively rapidly, and the battery cost (hence available range) is a significant factor. If the cost or capacity of batteries takes a big step in the right direction in the next few years, or fuel cells finally come good, the residuals of this generation of EVs will collapse. So at this point you have to be a very eager early adopter prepared to take the hit, or leasing.
I suspect the vast majority will be company cars, and much of the remainder will be personal leases or PCP. Very few will be bought brand new and outright as a private/personal purchase

Those bought or leased as company cars will not worry too much about whether the technology evolving rapidly - or even the residual value - because the ability for a company to write off the value, and for an invidual to pay bare minimal benefit in kind tax offsets the risk.

Hi all, fist time post here so here goes and please let me know if its in the wrong section......

Been lucky enough to have just picked up a new 2020 EQC in the last 2 weeks with 8 miles on the clock and as the instruction manual says, best to charge to 80% to try to maintain battery life. Bit crap i thought if we need to start down that road but thought ok lets see what we get at that level of charge. Driving is 10 miles on the school run with country roads and using the regeneration D minus, minus rather than brakes with no hard acceleration and i mean none as you simply cant with all the twists and narrow roads. So given we dont want to run the battery down anything less than 30 miles and the car starts moaning at you from under 40, we charge it from around the 30 ish level. This allows us 2 full school trips and so circa 40 miles in total over two days before another charge to 80%. On an 80% charge it says we have around 145 miles from the start. Bit naff i thought so the wife needed to go further today and so we charged it fully to see and also to give her some peace of mind. Well, fully charged showed 225 miles and yet by the time she got 2 miles down the road it was showing 160 miles. There is no AC being used or heated seats and or demist. Just heating on 22 degrees. So im thinking is the weather at plus 4 degrees really the issue here or do we have a problem. This car is supposed to do around 250 and i know it will never do that, but though we would at least get 200. At this rate and from what i have seen, we seem to be around 120 miles if we are lucky. Any thoughts or other EQC experiences out there and thanks........
Also having real problems with range.. I read all about EV driving and tried everything in the book. As there is no traffic now so steady constant motorway driving after pre heat see 2mpkw at 4c and maxed my best run at 10c was 2.3mkw. 20% was 50-60mph and the rest 60-70mph. When I took it to merc they said they'd had a few back with range issues.. im sure they have only sold a few as well. Im leasing on 20k per year but I can do any decent milage so it's a bit of a joke really. Got friends with old teslas still doing over 200 miles on a full charge. I'm 150-170 to flat so safe driving range is 130-150. Using the whole battery is 1 1/4 hour recharge at a super charger 100- 150kw or over 2 hours at a 50kw. 11 hours full charge at home 7kw or 40+hours if you use the 13amp to charge. Also had it refuse to charge on a few 50kw stations showing charge error. Then you have to crawl safely to the next charging point. The car is a joke at £73k and not usable for anything more than local driving. Forget it for business! Always had BMW Audi before so this is my first Merc and probably the last.

Reactions: SMS

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom