EQC Battery Rang really bad or is it me!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
The original OP was pointing out that the advertised max was 250, so he reasonably expected to see 200, but he’s getting nothing like that.

just with ice you’re better off checking the interweb for real world figures from actual users.

i liked the comment about inefficient ice cars being able to heat without afffecting range - not so inefficient then ! 😉

There is a video on youtube from carwow where they drive electric cars until they die in real world situations.

There are two one for the luxury brands and one for the mid range.

Worth a look.

it has been said the best way to maintain the battery is to keep the vehicle charge level between 10% and 80%
I bought an EQC over a year go and received no advice re charging %'s, and see nothing in the cars charging app to suggest likewise other than the 'option' to restrict the upper limits, I wondered what that was about!

I did see an article however that suggested it was the rate of charge which stressed the batteries most, with the higher rates (and associated heat) causing the longer term degradation of the battery (i.e. the more 'quick' charges the shorter the battery life), however there does not seem to be any clear advice on what is best way (or worst) to treat your battery, as the car has no limits and an eight year battery warranty you have to assume that anything goes!

I see many comments re the inconvenience of charging an EV, do remember that it can be charged via a normal 13Amp plug (recovers about 6 miles an hour) and as most cars sit idle either overnight or at a workplace either or both could be charging opportunities. Many employers overlook that a normal external socket would suffice and use the excuse of the cost of installing fast chargers as an out, slow chargers could be more suitable as there would not be a need to shuffle cars on and off fast chargers to service all, and as above may actually be best for the battery life, but then who knows?

So if it is not recommended to charge above 80%, do MB chargers stop at 80%? Or are owners supposed to know psychically when the battery has reached that level and then jump out and switch it off?

Is the range quoted in the ads etc based on 80% charge and recharging at 10%? I suspect not.
I can understand what you are saying and I was merely stating what has been said in regards to batteries Inc mobile phone batteries as same technology and e.v batteries there's nothing stopping you charging the batteries from any percentage. And the new batteries in e.v vehicle are so well engineered that they have managed to eliminate most issues with heat through charging with various cooling pumps and hear exchangers.
The range quoted is done in perfect conditions as is how most manufacturers Express there mog or range

I can understand what you are saying and I was merely stating what has been said in regards to batteries Inc mobile phone batteries as same technology and e.v batteries there's nothing stopping you charging the batteries from any percentage. And the new batteries in e.v vehicle are so well engineered that they have managed to eliminate most issues with heat through charging with various cooling pumps and hear exchangers.
The range quoted is done in perfect conditions as is how most manufacturers Express there mog or range
I have no idea about "hear exchangers" or "Express mog", but you claimed to be an expert on electric engines.

I am not wedded to an ICE in any way but all I see at the moment on electric engines is people saying "well it's so much more economical if you grind to a halt halfway and have to sit around for six hours before you can go another 100 miles."

EVs just don't work unless you are doing low mileage commutes with all the toys switched off.

In order for EVs to become a realistic proposition, we need a reliable, safe and readily available provision of hydrogen-powered cars and filling stations.

I bought an EQC over a year go and received no advice re charging %'s, and see nothing in the cars charging app to suggest likewise other than the 'option' to restrict the upper limits, I wondered what that was about!

I did see an article however that suggested it was the rate of charge which stressed the batteries most, with the higher rates (and associated heat) causing the longer term degradation of the battery (i.e. the more 'quick' charges the shorter the battery life), however there does not seem to be any clear advice on what is best way (or worst) to treat your battery, as the car has no limits and an eight year battery warranty you have to assume that anything goes!

I see many comments re the inconvenience of charging an EV, do remember that it can be charged via a normal 13Amp plug (recovers about 6 miles an hour) and as most cars sit idle either overnight or at a workplace either or both could be charging opportunities. Many employers overlook that a normal external socket would suffice and use the excuse of the cost of installing fast chargers as an out, slow chargers could be more suitable as there would not be a need to shuffle cars on and off fast chargers to service all, and as above may actually be best for the battery life, but then who knows?
I get that and I agree, in our household an EV would work well - but I ain’t paying £50k for the privilege.

I have no idea about "hear exchangers" or "Express mog", but you claimed to be an expert on electric engines.

I am not wedded to an ICE in any way but all I see at the moment on electric engines is people saying "well it's so much more economical if you grind to a halt halfway and have to sit around for six hours before you can go another 100 miles."

EVs just don't work unless you are doing low mileage commutes with all the toys switched off.

In order for EVs to become a realistic proposition, we need a reliable, safe and readily available provision of hydrogen-powered cars and filling stations.
My mistake I meant heat exchangers and mpg was what was meant to have been put

In 2018 , latest figures I can find , 57% of cars on UK roads are 6 years old or older. Assuming ???? the price of a new car is £20,000 and after 6 years depreciation (75%) then the car is worth £5-6000 by which time the battery is nearly on it's last legs and a new battery is going to be circa £4000 ( Nissan Leaf £5000 less £1000 p ex) so anybody buying a six year old car post 2036 will have to increase their car buying budget by 70% o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O
Feel free to pick as many holes in this scenario as you like.

Last edited:
In 2018 , latest figures I can find , 57% of cars on UK roads are 6 years old or older. Assuming ???? the price of a new car is £20,000 and after 6 years depreciation (75%) then the car is worth £5-6000 by which time the battery is nearly on it's last legs and a new battery is going to be circa £4000 ( Nissan Leaf £5000 less £1000 p ex) so anybody buying a six year old car post 2036 will have to increase their car buying budget by 70% o_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_Oo_O
Feel free to pick as many holes in this scenario as you like.
Thats a cheap battery though!

Well I feel sorry for the OP ,he has paid what I think is a lot of money for this electric car and it don't do what it is supposed to,this is why so many are not even thinking of buying electric,the nearest I came was over two years ago I was going to buy a near new E300 hybrid ,a friend came round with a mate of his who had the exact same car as I wanted, he owned a business and had 3 as company cars,he told me they were always in the MB main dealers getting fixed ,that guy saved me a fortune,of course it is nice to try something new,but buying and running a electric car is like taking a leap off a high building,sure it is a new experience ,but it does not have a happy ending.

Well I feel sorry for the OP ,he has paid what I think is a lot of money for this electric car and it don't do what it is supposed to,this is why so many are not even thinking of buying electric
The same has been true for petrol and diesel ICE cars for many years now, whereby the published figures are not an accurate reflection of real-world fuel economy, and therefore is not reflective of real world range.

A car can’t be tested to reflect the use of every car, driven by every driver, for every journey, and so tests behind published figures are intended for the purposes of comparison, ie using precisely the same “journey” and conditions.

An electric car’s range is affected by ambient temperature, so is a an ICE car. An electric ca’s range is affected by whether the car is already at operating temperature, so is an ICE car. An EV should it be expected to be perfect if an ICE isn’t.

The same has been true for petrol and diesel ICE cars for many years now, whereby the published figures are not an accurate reflection of real-world fuel economy, and therefore is not reflective of real world range.

A car can’t be tested to reflect the use of every car, driven by every driver, for every journey, and so tests behind published figures are intended for the purposes of comparison, ie using precisely the same “journey” and conditions.

An electric car’s range is affected by ambient temperature, so is a an ICE car. An electric ca’s range is affected by whether the car is already at operating temperature, so is an ICE car. An EV should it be expected to be perfect if an ICE isn’t.

I would have thought that car manufacturers who have been making vehicles for over 50 years should be fully aware by now of every possible driving style, type, life style, requirements..
Surely they can make vehicles to meet market and consumer demands by now??

Nothing is ever perfect in this world true, But an ICE car can still be refuelled in 5 minutes compared to a few hours in an EV..

I would have thought that car manufacturers who have been making vehicles for over 50 years should be fully aware by now of every possible driving style, type, life style, requirements..
Surely they can make vehicles to meet market and consumer demands by now??

Nothing is ever perfect in this world true, But an ICE car can still be refuelled in 5 minutes compared to a few hours in an EV..
I’m not sure how your comments link to the post you quoted but the reason for the difference between real world figures and published (data using test programmes which are set by an independent body) is because the objective of the tests is to allow direct comparison between vehicles, and not forecast what you will achieve personally.

Every single one of your journeys are different, and they’ll all be completely different to everyone else’s. For example an identical distance covered in Morocco will yield a different result to the same in Switzerland, and Norway just because of terrain and ambient conditions, before even considering driving style, route, traffic, etc.

Published test results are not intended to be an accurate reflection of every journey, just an indicative guide for comparison purposes. That is true for ICE and EV vehicles.

And driving in Morocco is a great comparison to driving in Norway , great comparison Bobby :thumb: , I have done both and the memories still haunt me (Morocco, not Norway !) But I still think India was probably the worst..

Thread hijack over.

@Tonygw FTFY
They can make vehicles to meet the marketing departments perception of consumer demands.

It reminds me when, many years ago, I tackled an acquaintance in the motor trade about clocking vehicles, to which he replied 'we are giving the customer what they want, cars with a low mileage displayed'. Don't see any difference in what the manufacturers are doing with vehicle ranges and pollution control - whether fossil fuel or electric. Hence dieslegate.

I just can’t get to grips with this full electric malarkey. Hybrid I can and would buy but, the thought of not being able to just get in my car in an emergency and drive to Manchester/ London for example because it’s not fully charged is just beyond my comfort zone.

I just can’t get to grips with this full electric malarkey. Hybrid I can and would buy but, the thought of not being able to just get in my car in an emergency and drive to Manchester/ London for example because it’s not fully charged is just beyond my comfort zone.
Ha, imagine the fun with an electric ambulance/fire truck! Sorry your house burnt down/your mother died had to stop and put a touch of electric in!
You could see the headlines now!

I did ponder about getting the hybrid but looked at the figures and thought i would be worse off with paying for the charger with the miles i do. Phew what a close call that was. I wish you luck with the electric cars i think another 5 years before i look again. I just get in the car and go, no looking, checking, preheating, etc etc. But they are Nice cars

I feel the same about not having a spare tyre!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom