• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

EQE 300 range?

'Life of the car' is the big one there. My SL is 26 years old ... the chance of any EV being driveable on the original Li Ion battery at that sort of age would be zero IMHO. Pretty unlikely to even make it to 16 years (the age of my Vito).
Why’s that?

Have you scrapped the batteries in a 26 year old Tesla?

Most ICE vehicles are scrapped before their 15th birthday, averaging a life of just eight years.

Are you making the case that EVs will have double the life of Old Tech kit? If you are your logic seems shaky.

Presumably warranties vary though. IIRC Tesla replace at 30% degraded, which is a fair chunk of range to have lost. No idea about others.

And if at 8 years old (or whatever your particular warranty period is) the car still has the original battery you'd have to be pretty brave to buy it. Which will surely affect the value - an 8 year old ICE car with average mileage and good service history is still very much a going concern.
Remind us: what’s the warranty length of an ICE Engine and gearbox, so that we can judge when an ICE SL500 becomes useless

Last edited:
Nothing wrong with frameless side windows 👀 😆
Six weeks of driving a Tesla 3 on 30,000 miles, showed me that frameless windows are rubbish, letting in an absurd amount of wind and road noise. Compared to the framed windows of an eight year old Dreier BMW they are appalling and fragile.

Now, the frameless windows on a CL500 are fabulous and in a different league, but they are a “visibly” more expensive and better made product.

Yet, Markjay says charge when you need to not just because you can and this is what will make the use of public chargers viable. Markjay of course does actually have an EV. He wasn't deterred by a 3-Series being in some unspecified way nicer or that some Teslas have frameless side windows.
I don’t understand what point you’re trying to make.

Something about how EV users actually use their cars? That EV’s, like mobile phones, tablets and laptops should not be charged again until their batteries are nearly flat?

Or that the decision to run a vehicle is more about how well the thing is designed, built and used, than how it’s fuelled?

Like a Tesla 3 being cheaply built, with poor quality, office like interior fabrics, dull paint colours, and paint which scratches if you look at it? Or just the ponderous way that all EVs lumber along the road because of the extra weight as they crash through potholes? Usability issues like the inability to see road speed clearly, inability to see clearly through the rear window on a Tesla 3, or past the driver’s thick B pillar when pulling out? Or the inability to switch on windscreen wipers of a radio without dropping through two levels of menu? (Which are always completely different from manufacturer to manufacturer: that rental office nightmare)

Last edited:
Six weeks of driving a Tesla 3 on 30,000 miles, showed me that frameless windows are rubbish, letting in an absurd amount of wind and road noise. Compared to the framed windows of an eight year old Dreier BMW they are appalling and fragile.

Now, the frameless windows on a CL500 are fabulous and in a different league, but they are a “visibly” more expensive and better made product.

The EQE has them and it’s extremely quiet 🤫

Yes, when I moved to my new house and the charger was moved from my old house there were a few problems and I had to use the 3 pin plug charger, its fine if you aren't doing many miles because for a full charge from empty it would take 30 hours. But as long as you are just "topping up" its fine to plug in overnight. I also topped up while I was in the office once or twice around the same time.
So you know that, in day to day usage, you can typically add 800 - 1000 miles to your vehicle while it’s parked overnight and longer at the weekend

It’s not the best was of charging to take full advantage of off-peak rates, over the long term, but as long as you’re averaging no more than 150 miles a day you can just charge it fully off a three pin socket

By saying that it isn’t with a wall charger, having just said that it charges at only half the speed of its competitors with a granny cable.

Have you actually seen it charge that slowly with a three in socket? Because you’re certainly saying the MB EV is not as good as its rivals.

I used the granny charger and it was only pulling 1.2-1.6kw. 🤷🏻‍♂️

I used the granny charger and it was only pulling 1.2-1.6kw. 🤷🏻‍♂️
Interesting. The normal rate is 2.3kw in the UK.

Wonder if it’s the car or the config that slowed yours down?

To maximise range, pump up the tyres by 3-4 psi higher that what you have now. Seriously.
Mmm, there are handling trade-offs in both comfort and grip.

Are people really that worried about minor changes to range?

Folks seldom drive their ICE’s at 55 “to maximise range.” Most “seem to” drive as fast as conditions allow.

Last edited:
True. Handling is better but comfort is worse (ask me how I know....). Not sure about grip, I never drive anywhere near the edge.
All fine, and I’m sure you judged it properly for you.

I’m just saying that pressures involve trade offs.

Most ICE vehicles are scrapped before their 15th birthday, averaging a life of just eight years.

What's the source of that figure? Does it apply to all vehicles (e.g including commercials etc.), or just passenger cars? And is that for the UK, Europe, globally, ??

What's the source of that figure? Does it apply to all vehicles (e.g including commercials etc.), or just passenger cars? And is that for the UK, Europe, globally, ??

Good question.

Google found this:

Remind us: what’s the warranty length of an ICE Engine and gearbox, so that we can judge when an ICE SL500 becomes useless

The difference is that unlike an IC engine or gearbox the Li Ion battery in an EV (or anything else) degrades with time, as well as usage.

The difference is that unlike an IC engine or gearbox the Li Ion battery in an EV (or anything else) degrades with time, as well as usage.

Just Googled it:

"On average, EV batteries only degrade at a rate of 2.3% of maximum capacity per year"

Doesn't sound detrimental?

Last edited:
Pardon? You’re saying that the drivetrain of a car doesn’t wear out over time? Seriously?

Have you not seen the posts on here about engine and drivetrain wear and servicing? Not seen how the second hand value of a car collapses as it passes from first to second to third user?

Pardon? You’re saying that the drivetrain of a car doesn’t wear out over time? Seriously?

Have you not seen the posts on here about engine and drivetrain wear and servicing? Not seen how the second hand value of a car collapses as it passes from first to second to third user?

I think his point was that a battery degrades even when not in use.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom