• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

EQE 300 range?

Something like 30% of all cars on the road (ie 10 million) pre-date 2000.
That seems a large figure! It shows that almost a third of cars are on the old prefix/suffix system but I do 130 miles a day and rarely, if ever, see the old style plates!

SMMT: passenger cars UK.

The average age of a car driven in the UK is now the oldest it’s ever been | RAC Drive

But you can see it around you every day.

Something like 30% of all cars on the road (ie 10 million) pre-date 2000.

"At 8.4 years old it’s the highest since records began in 2000, with almost 10 million vehicles from 2008 and earlier still in action. The average car was built in 2011."

The average age being 8.4 years does not mean that cars end their lives at 8.4 years on average.

Think about it: the average age at which people die is very different to the average age of the population.

I think his point was that a battery degrades even when not in use.
While an old ICE drivetrain doesn’t?

Try telling one that to my friend who had to pay £8000 to recondition his BMW X3 gearbox after just 7 years and 50,000 miles. Or to London’s DPF whiners who face significant bills after driving barely anywhere in their occasional and short run diesels.

Yes, most cars come with a 3 pin plug (3kw) charge lead as well and yes it can be used as top ups, but very slowly, as an example roughly 5 extra miles per hour charge with this system.
3kw on a normal 3 pin house socket is a fair bit of amperage at around 13 (at the now nominal 230v.....up to nearly 14 at the minimum legally allowed, but all too common, 217 volts. Plugs get pretty warm at that level of draw. We have 3kw heater systems in some caravans on my forecourt......and we heat a few at this time of year....the 3 pin plugs and sockets get pretty warm even though they are outside! (yes we do have the blue 16 amp campsite sockets for the workshop testing....but not close enough to the show vans....so 13a 3 pin it is. Not trying to be anti EV (I'm not) or scaremongering.......just saying to check its a good plug and its going into a nice tight socket to ensure a really good connection with no arcing.

And keep the charging cable straight - don't coil it.

I was wondering about the name Granny cable....and found this. Both answers seem tenuous!

Why is it called a granny cable?

There are two theories as to why it's called a 'granny cable'. One is that it's the slowest form of charging – apologies to all the grandmothers out there. The other is that it provides emergency charging should you find yourself without access to a charger when staying with your grandparents.

Reactions: MeQ
3kw on a normal 3 pin house socket is a fair bit of amperage at around 13 (at the now nominal 230v.....up to nearly 14 at the minimum legally allowed, but all too common, 217 volts. Plugs get pretty warm at that level of draw. We have 3kw heater systems in some caravans on my forecourt......and we heat a few at this time of year....the 3 pin plugs and sockets get pretty warm even though they are outside! (yes we do have the blue 16 amp campsite sockets for the workshop testing....but not close enough to the show vans....so 13a 3 pin it is. Not trying to be anti EV (I'm not) or scaremongering.......just saying to check its a good plug and its going into a nice tight socket to ensure a really good connection with no arcing.
For sure. Which presumably is why EV's don't actually charge at 3kw - that's a figment of Boris's imagination.

The more common number in the UK, as far as I'm aware, is 2.3kw which typically gives 10 miles per hour attached. So someone who got home last night at 6pm and plugged in would have added 180 miles of range by 12 noon on Saturday, if one had left it plugged in.

For a wage slave taking her car away from home 60 hours a week, by plugging her car in the rest of the time, she'd add 1700 miles worth of charge, enough for 90,000 miles a year.

So "probably" most EV owners won't need to connect for that long, given that the average mileage driven in the UK is closer to 8k for all drivers, and 10k for EV drivers (essentially the company car mob)

Long term - obviously -get a £500 dedicated line installed. But a lot of EV users don't / can't.

I would - but there isn't an EV that I'd give house room within the foreseeable future.

3 pin plug Charger is supplied by MB and it was plugged into (at home) a brand new outside watertight socket.

For sure. Which presumably is why EV's don't actually charge at 3kw - that's a figment of Boris's imagination.
It varies, you can check what its actually charging at via the App. its nominally 3kw but in reality probably averages 2.3/2.5kw, my imagination isn't that good. :p

Hi.
I had to post as I think the EQE 300 is terrible. I have had a MB of different flavours for many years. My other car is an EV which I've had for 8 years. I'm not new to EV's.
The range on the EQE 300 is really really bad. I got the car in the summer. All was good. I could average 3 miles/kWh. Fairy typical for EV's. So a full charge was good for 300 miles.
Now we've hit winter this range has plummeted to 150-180 miles!
This is all down to the heater which has no place in an EV. A good 1/3 of the battery is gone on the heater. Due to running two EV's now it's not a case of just charge it. I just can't charge daily. So I am now resorting to going through a sequence of buttons every time I drive to turn off the heating and driving around freezing cold.
For this level of vehicle this is appalling.
I'd be getting an ICE MB in future or just a different brand

Hi.
I had to post as I think the EQE 300 is terrible. I have had a MB of different flavours for many years. My other car is an EV which I've had for 8 years. I'm not new to EV's.
The range on the EQE 300 is really really bad. I got the car in the summer. All was good. I could average 3 miles/kWh. Fairy typical for EV's. So a full charge was good for 300 miles.
This is all down to the heater which has no place in an EV. A good 1/3 of the battery is gone on the heater. Due to running two EV's now it's not a case of just charge it. I just can't charge daily. So I am now resorting to going through a sequence of buttons every time I drive to turn off the heating and driving around freezing cold.

Have you queried with the dealership, mine is doing 250+ in these conditions, pre warmed to 20 degrees and heaters on when driving.

Hi.
Why don't you leave it plugged in while you heat the car on a morning? That's what I do.
Using the heater while driving doesn't have that much effect on mine!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom