Extending range of wireless signal

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Piff

MB Enthusiast
Car
Porsche Macan S
I have built a man cave in the garden and taken 2 x cat 5e cables to it which are intended to be used for internet TV and or xbox/playstation gaming.

I have a spare Netgear 8 port FS608 v3 10/100 switch which I assume can be used to create extra wired points in the cave if necessary.

Number 2 son has complained that our wireless signal doesn't work out there though. I hadn't given it a thought but smart phones rely on wireless when phone network signal is weak (which it is).

Our home network comprises a Netgear DG834GSP v3 router (providing wireless) connected to a HP1410-24-2G switch connecting to multiple outlets. The router is in the middle of the house. There are spare wired points on the rear wall of the house.

What is the simplest/cheapest way to extend the range of the wireless?

Sky are giving away free wireless extenders to customers at the moment. If you are a sky customer then you can do it for free. There is a thread on here somewhere or just go to the sky homepage and I'm sure it'll be on there.

Do you have any old wireless routers?

Most can be used as just a wireless access point if you can run a hard cable into it.

Sky are giving away free wireless extenders to customers at the moment. If you are a sky customer then you can do it for free. There is a thread on here somewhere or just go to the sky homepage and I'm sure it'll be on there.

Not a Sky customer at the moment.

Have a look on amazon for Wifi "booster" lots of plugin devices available for less then £20.

I have this and it works fine, it does disconnect sometimes but for general internet its great. I wouldnt use it for constant streaming or downloading.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00A6STNVI/?tag=amazon0e9db-21

Saw something similar elsewhere (Aria) but description wasn't great.
I see with the link you provided there is a cable provided and a port on the side.
How does it connect/what does it connect to?

Do you have any old wireless routers?

Most can be used as just a wireless access point if you can run a hard cable into it.

Yes, I've got several old routers, the most recent is a Netgear DG834. Ive got some RJ45 to telephone convertors somewhere.
Would I use the telephone convertor in one of the RJ45 cat 5e sockets in the man cave then a telephone cable to the normal inlet on the router?

The Netgear router also has 4 RJ45 outlets on the back which may help number 1 son who was looking for more than the 2 cables I put in - I presume they would work?

Edit

Had a look and must have ditched lots of the old kit when we moved. But I have got the netgear router. It's a DG834G v2 and says it's a "Firewall Router"
As the existing Netgear DG834GSP v3 router also has a firewall will there be any issues with this? Can the firewall be turned off in the older one?

Last edited:
Saw something similar elsewhere (Aria) but description wasn't great.
I see with the link you provided there is a cable provided and a port on the side.
How does it connect/what does it connect to?

You can extend it via Cable to your existing router or you can extend it via wifi if that makes sence.

So Lets say your wifi is giving a 60% signal upstairs, the plug will pick it up and extend it to 100%.

Its setup via your IP and you setup a password.

So for example when you search for WIFI you will see BT, SKY etc and also WIFI - Repeater.

Like i said for £12 it works well enough for me upstairs!

You don't need the telephone cable / adapter.
My router just has to have the land cable in port 1 when used as a wireless access point.

I just googled 'netgear router access point' and there are many many step by step guides with the details of how to set it up.

I'm computer literate but no tech geek and it took me about an hour to figure it all out and get it working.

You don't need the telephone cable / adapter.
My router just has to have the land cable in port 1 when used as a wireless access point.

I just googled 'netgear router access point' and there are many many step by step guides with the details of how to set it up.

I'm computer literate but no tech geek and it took me about an hour to figure it all out and get it working.

Thanks, I'll experiment!

You can extend it via Cable to your existing router or you can extend it via wifi if that makes sence.

So Lets say your wifi is giving a 60% signal upstairs, the plug will pick it up and extend it to 100%.

Its setup via your IP and you setup a password.

So for example when you search for WIFI you will see BT, SKY etc and also WIFI - Repeater.

Like i said for £12 it works well enough for me upstairs!

I'll give the old router method a try first. If that doesn't work then yours looks like the next best option.

Powerline 200 or similar. Uses the elec circuit to carry data for distribution by wifi from a sender you plug in wherever you want it.

Works superbly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom