F type R - 5.0 supercharged V8 4wd

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

V8andTurbos

Car
MK5 Golf GTI + C63 AMG
Considering this as a potential replacement for my 204 C63. Love the new E63S but prices are silly. 205 C63 S coupe is also beautiful but again the right spec is silly money and not many with good spec for sale.

So this brings us to the F, anyone drive one? Would have to be the supercharged R with 4 wheel drive. Coupe or cab, don't mind. How fast are they and what's build quality like?

Any other recommendations? Would like something performance, reliable and rare. Ideally German..

I have only driven the 2wd version, then prepared and run it at the Pikes Peak hillclimb.
The car was basically stock with a roll cage and slicks and was good enough for a podium position first time out.:D

https://youtu.be/VStc1dFm6X4

I can only say that the car was entirely reliable in the very toughest of conditions, sounded fabulous and Justin came away with a big trophy on his (and my!) very first visit.
On the road the car seems to have better traction than a C63 but less space for rear seat passengers.
What do you need:dk:

Hi,
I really like these - but believe you would be brave to buy one without a full manufacturers warranty.
Cheers
Steve

Just realised a neighbour has just bought one..... think I just found my best new friend!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I don't have any requirements as if I do buy another car it will be a second car anyways. I'd really like a C63 S coupe but prices are still strong for A nice spec S. Also think they've got a fair bit of depreciation left.. looked at S63 coupe but looks too tame compared to the C63. Also looked at G63 but my budget would only allow a 2013 with some miles. Don't have much confidence in MB build quality

I don't have any requirements as if I do buy another car it will be a second car anyways. I'd really like a C63 S coupe but prices are still strong for A nice spec S. Also think they've got a fair bit of depreciation left.. looked at S63 coupe but looks too tame compared to the C63. Also looked at G63 but my budget would only allow a 2013 with some miles. Don't have much confidence in MB build quality

Hi,
If you don't have much confidence in MB build quality - are you sure you would consider buying a Jaguar?
Cheers
Steve

I thought Jags did quite well.

They seem to be much better than LR and MB according to the last J D Power survey I saw:

J.D. Power 2016 UK Vehicle Dependability Study | J.D. Power

I am somewhat sceptical though as Vauxhall did really well.

Hi,
I worry about these surveys - especially with the more driver focused brands.
Keen owners often give glowing reports of cars and often forget the niggles and problems.
I know this from once owning a TVR!
Cheers
Steve

A mate of mine bought an F type a while ago, he chose it carefully, having spent some time working for JLR in their research department and having full access to all their warranty and failure info. Interior not as swish as the latest MB offerings no doubt, but still perfectly acceptable I thought.

This was the car i compared my SL to when changing a few months back.... I drove them both back to back and the Jag was a lovely car, refined, amazing engine, exhaust note, comfortable, all controls where you need them and probably like you I wanted a fully optioned car. I love the Jags looks as im old and for me its the "new" E Type. handling was good although I've calmed down somewhat across the years. For me it was "the car" for me....
However - I use my 2nd car allot and travel with it so boot space is a must along with inside stowage of the usual car trip items. The Jag has none of this, the dash wraps around the driver and is a lovely place to be but there is simply nowhere to put anything....I also didnt want the passenger virtually sitting on top of me which i think the Jag setup feels like
The SL is simply everything I want in a toy now.... good boot space... looks good, sounds good, has every option i want, it goes well enough and also has plenty of stowage space. That being said its a bigger car but for me after a few AMG's and other exotica in the past it ticks all my boxes....

This was the car i compared my SL to when changing a few months back.... I drove them both back to back and the Jag was a lovely car, refined, amazing engine, exhaust note, comfortable, all controls where you need them and probably like you I wanted a fully optioned car. I love the Jags looks as im old and for me its the "new" E Type. handling was good although I've calmed down somewhat across the years. For me it was "the car" for me....
However - I use my 2nd car allot and travel with it so boot space is a must along with inside stowage of the usual car trip items. The Jag has none of this, the dash wraps around the driver and is a lovely place to be but there is simply nowhere to put anything....I also didnt want the passenger virtually sitting on top of me which i think the Jag setup feels like
The SL is simply everything I want in a toy now.... good boot space... looks good, sounds good, has every option i want, it goes well enough and also has plenty of stowage space. That being said its a bigger car but for me after a few AMG's and other exotica in the past it ticks all my boxes....

Hello stranger. You sold the green monster :eek:? Hope all is well :thumb:

+1 on the 'no boot space' thing.
I had one for a weekend. There was a spare wheel in the boot and you'd get one maybe two supermarket bags of shopping on each side of it and that would be full.
Of course U could leave the spare at home but still, that's very little space.

While I initially liked the sound, after a while it started to sound a bit 'formula': It always popped the same way at the same time that it didn't feel quite 'real'.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom