F1 2019

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
What of Eddie Jordan's predictions?
Mercedes engines for McLaren - which would put them where they were before Ron Dennis couldn't stomach being a customer team and jumped in bed with Honda.
Verstappen at Mercedes and Hamilton at Ferrari?
The thing is, like or loathe him, EJ has an uncanny knack of calling the future correctly. Has he done it again?
Yes, Eddie has in the past come up with the odd scoop, so maybe he is onto something.

With all due respect to Williams F1, they are unfortunately not currently the best advert for the Mercedes engine. Given that, it would be understandable if MB chose to go with the improving McLaren if that's an option for them.

As for Lewis going to Ferrari; yeah maybe on the basis that having Ferrari F1 on his racing CV might be of interest to him. It's looking increasingly like Seb has lost the plot, so a seat at Ferrari may well come up notwithstanding whatever contracts are in place.

On the other hand...

The 4 wheels issue seems to be quite variable and crosses over with the 'gaining an advantage' isue.

A wall isn't a solution. Street circuits with barriers and safety cards are not good for racing. OTOH a wall is a nice absolute 'rule'.

I suspect in the modern technological world of DRS and energy recovery that a solution might be to have a car's DRS or energy recovery system disabled for two laps each time a car leave the track. But that means a driver forced off by another ends up disadvantaged - though I guess arguably forcing somebody into a wall is rather more disadvntageous to their race prospects .....
I dont think a wall is the solution to running off the track but there does need to be a lot more gravel traps at some circuits.

Yes, Eddie has in the past come up with the odd scoop, so maybe he is onto something.

Above his constant chatter it's a miracle he hears anything - but somehow, he does!

With all due respect to Williams F1, they are unfortunately not currently the best advert for the Mercedes engine. Given that, it would be understandable if MB chose to go with the improving McLaren if that's an option for them.

One in, one out?
I'm not aware of any regulation that would mandate that - maybe logistics of manufacture might though. Or maybe MB would happily supply to as many as want their engine.

As for Lewis going to Ferrari; yeah maybe on the basis that having Ferrari F1 on his racing CV might be of interest to him. It's looking increasingly like Seb has lost the plot, so a seat at Ferrari may well come up notwithstanding whatever contracts are in place.

Will he chase Schumacher's record - or seat at Ferrari?
I'd bank on the former and on current MB form, there is where his best chance of matching/surpassing Schumacher's tally lies. The supposed 'Ferrari dream' constantly resurfaces but isn't - or hasn't been - a universal goal for all drivers. It didn't interest Senna - following his fellow countryman's lead he aspired to drive for Lotus then (when he realised how frail Chapman's cars were) McLaren. Hamilton idolises Senna. Whether that fact lessens his desire to drive for Ferrari is hard to gauge, but Senna did leave a successful McLaren merely to keep things fresh. If LH does jump ship from MB, I can't imagine he'll mimic Senna in choosing Williams.

I don't think Hamilton would want all the politics at Ferrari, he seems too much a chilled person for that. If he doesn't see out his career at Mercedes I'd be surprised, although I'd like to see him go back to (a Mercedes engined?) McLaren for his swansong, guiding young Norris to a championship.

Jeremy Clarkson explains whats wrong with F1:D
To view this content we will need your consent to set third party cookies.
For more detailed information, see our cookies page.

Jeremy Clarkson explains whats wrong with F1:D
Typical Clarkson... thanks for sharing. Can't say I agree with all he says, but for sure some of it makes sense.

I used to enjoy Clarkson when he was controversial, irreverent and funny.
As a foulmouthed, clueless thug, there seems little to recommend him.

I used to enjoy Clarkson when he was controversial, irreverent and funny.
As a foulmouthed, clueless thug, there seems little to recommend him.

That's a concise summary of my thoughts when I saw that. I had rather got the impression that he was more careful about what he published.

A few years ago I had a short break at Simonstone Hall in the North Yorks Dales. There is a little plaque on the wall of the bar which records the very spot and time where Clarkson threw a punch at his producer and effectively ended is time at the BBC. I think that is when the rot set in.
Whatever filter there was between his brain and gob, now appears sadly missing.

Not a surprise.
C4 should have chased Jake Humpheys to front the show instead of the ever embarassing Steve Jones. He and Ben Edwards spoilt it for me.

Reactions: 190

Think the point of the article was to highlight the drop off in people watching F1. Evidently the cumulative number of TV viewers watching Channel 4's F1 "highlights only " coverage so far this year is down by 5.33 million on 2018, an average of 533,000 per race. However figures for the Sky F1 "live" audience after ten races, has seen a net increase in viewer numbers is just over 2 million, which falls some way short of the 5.33 million that Channel 4 has lost implying a overall net loss of followers viewing F1 of 3.0 Million???

Think the point of the article was to highlight the drop off in people watching F1. Evidently the cumulative number of TV viewers watching Channel 4's F1 "highlights only " coverage so far this year is down by 5.33 million on 2018, an average of 533,000 per race. However figures for the Sky F1 "live" audience after ten races, has seen a net increase in viewer numbers is just over 2 million, which falls some way short of the 5.33 million that Channel 4 has lost implying a overall net loss of followers viewing F1 of 3.0 Million???

implying a overall net loss of potential customers viewing the sponsorship posted on the cars and trackside of F1 of 3.0 Million???

Maybe the spending cap won't be needed after all....

^^^ and viewing the PPI and funeral plan adverts during the broadcasts.

^^^ and that Brummie droning (and I do mean droning ) on about some G-Tech cordless something or other. (Give me the cord - I want to hang myself).

Reactions: Nat
Spot the newcomer.
xw8dlWz.jpg

Qualifying should be interesting. FP3 showed Mercedes way off the pace, Leclerc and Vettel split by Max. MAG is up there too!

SV out already. Followed by CLC.
Rosberg commentating = tv sound on mute .....

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom