F1 2019

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I'd be very surprised if he didn't DNF himself or another driver within the first couple of races.

Last year's Red Bull is this year's Toro Rosso

_105604407_rb3.png

Hamilton fears MV the most.

Lewis Hamilton 'fears Max Verstappen the most', says Red Bull boss Christian Horner

Horner reminds me of Keegan from the football world. Soundbite.

I’m not to sure that Lewis fears anybody on the grid or track. I suspect that he leaves no room for such thinking. He strikes me as someone who thinks 100% about how he can better himself and sees himself as his own biggest fear.

We saw with Seb last year that he won then lost all on his own.

We may see more if that this year, with Max providing more entertainment in the self inflicted crashy bashy department.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So far Williams are still bottom of the pile - in terms of how the new car looks. Claire says Frank would have fired her if he didn't like it.

_105612254_williams.jpg

New Renault looks good

image.jpg

So far Williams are still bottom of the pile - in terms of how the new car looks. Claire says Frank would have fired her if he didn't like it.

I assume you mean Livery and not the car itself as its 2019 livery on the 2018 car in that picture. I did quite like the Martini sponsorship being back in F1, was a nice sporting throw back, but still looked best on a Lancia Delta S4 rally car.

IMG_0796.JPG I always liked this example of the Martini livery (Piercarlo Ghinzani braking into Woodcote during the 6-hrs in 82 or 83), though the Martini Porsches always looked good too.

I don't think it looks so bad. But I can remember the BAR split livery and I personally think the McLaren orange isn't that great and while the Force India p[ink was novel it lost any charm from that novelty within a few races.

I think the Martini stripe based livery and uniforms work well in motor racing and so anything new was likely to be a step down from that.

At least they have sponsorship. Some oxygen to allow them another chance of a recovery year - maybe this time to actually recover ...... maybe.

.... At least they have sponsorship. Some oxygen to allow them another chance of a recovery year - maybe this time to actually recover ...... maybe.

I hope so too. Would love to see Williams (and McLaren) become more competitive than they have been in recent years.

MCL34 unveiled

skysports-mclaren-f1-mcl34_4578030.jpg

skysports-f1-mcl34-mclaren_4578065.jpg

STR14

skysports-toro-rosso-f1-car_4574634.jpg

Mercedes W10

skysports-mercedes-w10-f1_4576585.jpg

skysports-mercedes-w10-f1_4576583.jpg

skysports-mercedes-w10-f1_4576590.jpg

If I were a stray pheasant. Those front wings would terrify me.

How does a wider front wing reduce the effect of following closely?

They're hideous by the way.

Last edited:
I hope so too. Would love to see Williams (and McLaren) become more competitive than they have been in recent years.
Be great to see anybody be able to consistently beat the MB. Hopefully teh 2019/2020 changes will make it more of a competition again and not a parade MB,MB,F,F,RB,RB (last 4 interchangeable) and the also rans

I know all the little add on winglets are gone but I was still expecting something simpler that 5 element wings. I won't be surprised if it makes only a small difference to ease of overtaking.

Initially there was speculation that this year's cars will be a few second's slower.

When Mercedes shook down their car at Silverstone, Ocon was asked how the car was (on the simulator) and he said it was very close to last year's car. Might be different on the track but as the year goes on, they will only get quicker.

How does a wider front wing reduce the effect of following closely?

They're hideous by the way.
The idea of these changes is to prevent the wings spitting 'dirty' air outside the width of the car. This has made a much wider area of disturbance behind a car which takes longer to dissipate and so prevent the following car getting downforce either close too or following in the adjacent 'lane'.
Despite the wings being wider this year, the wake behind the cars will be narrower without all the multiple elements of 2018 wings disturbing the whole width of the racetrack!

If I understand you correctly, it's to do with how the leading car disturbs the air rather than how the following car deals with it?

If those front wings get any bigger they'll need a bag of cement on the rear wing to stop the rear wheels lifting off the ground.;) They look ridiculous too.

If I understand you correctly, it's to do with how the leading car disturbs the air rather than how the following car deals with it?
Yep, to produce a difference in pressure between the top and bottom surfaces, air needs to be attached to the wing and this happens best in undisturbed air and doesn't work very well in turbulent air. So when in the wake of the car in front, the front wing is effectively stalled or partially stalled. If your car is in front and makes the air behind dirty enough to compromise your competitor's aero package (and cooling systems).. bonus!

Hopefully the new regs allow the cars to follow more closely.

Did anybody watch the Red Arrows on the telly last night? Some great shots of the effects on them off “wake turbulence” as they flew up the Mall.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom