F1 2019

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Did anybody watch the Red Arrows on the telly last night? Some great shots of the effects on them off “wake turbulence” as they flew up the Mall.
Yes, that's been a must watch series for us and as you say yesterday's episode contained a good illustration of the wake turbulence issue.

Yep, to produce a difference in pressure between the top and bottom surfaces, air needs to be attached to the wing and this happens best in undisturbed air and doesn't work very well in turbulent air. So when in the wake of the car in front, the front wing is effectively stalled or partially stalled. If your car is in front and makes the air behind dirty enough to compromise your competitor's aero package (and cooling systems).. bonus!

Hopefully the new regs allow the cars to follow more closely.

The technological advances means the top F1 team will then take the next step forward: focusing on improved efficiency at disrupting the air behind to make it harder for a car to follow closely. Now we are back to square one :rolleyes:
You can't beat the genius of the F1 aerodynamicists.

Unfortunately the turbulent wake is a by product of getting the greatest downforce (and therefore grip) of your car. All the teams know that they will not always be the lead car, in fact they only have a 10% chance. Even Mercedes have to lap cars and fight back through traffic.
The regulations of the past few years have allowed 'selfish' cars which didn't clean up behind themselves very well. No aerodynamicist intends to design a car which does this, but one which will put the fastest lap time in, hence palaver to get a bit of 'space' for qualifying.
The 2021 regs will force the use of 'cleaner' aerodynamic cars, however that doesn't stop teams trying to make them faster.
It will be the knowledge and cunning of Ross Brawn's team to make the regulations such that closer racing is possible.

Ferrari SF90

skysports-ferrari-f1-car_4579007.jpg

skysports-f1-ferrari_4579071.jpg

skysports-ferrari-f1-car_4578955.png

Christian Horner was asked directly, "Do you deliberately cause turbulent air behind you?" His answer, "We don't design it out".
Yes, because you can't if you are chasing maximum downforce within the regulations of the last few years.

Not sure if this works. But it is what we may see more of this season, with the camera mounted inside the helmet. (No pun intended) but a great drivers eye view.

Lewis Hamilton

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Williams were to miss day one of testing but will also miss day two.

Day one testing times:

1) Sebastian Vettel, Ferrari, 1:18.161, 169 laps

2) Carlos Sainz, McLaren, 1:18.558, 119 laps

3) Romain Grosjean, Haas, 1:19:159, 65 laps

4) Max Verstappen, Red Bull, 1:19.426, 128 laps

5) Kimi Raikkonen, Alfa Romeo, 1:19.462, 114 laps

6) Daniil Kvyat, Toro Rosso, 1:19.635, 77 laps

7) Sergio Perez, Racing Point, 1:19.944, 30 laps

8) Valtteri Bottas, Mercedes, 1:20.127, 69 laps

9) Lewis Hamilton, Mercedes, 1:20.135, 81 laps

10) Nico Hulkenberg, Renault, 1:20.980, 65 laps

11) Daniel Ricciardo, Renault, 1:20.983, 44 laps

^ And the McLaren broke down on track with Carlos Sainz:D

^ And the McLaren broke down on track with Carlos Sainz:D

It was actually at the exit of the pit lane, but they still managed nearly 120 laps. One of the few cars to run soft tyres and go 2nd quickest on the first day.
I would read very little in to the times on the first day, far too many variables and other agendas. However, the total laps covered does give an indication as to those who were ready to go. The totals for Mercedes and Ferrari being comparable.

It was actually at the exit of the pit lane, but they still managed nearly 120 laps. One of the few cars to run soft tyres and go 2nd quickest on the first day.
I would read very little in to the times on the first day, far too many variables and other agendas. However, the total laps covered does give an indication as to those who were ready to go. The totals for Mercedes and Ferrari being comparable.

.... and that Ferrari still looks good to me.

I used to be a massive F1 fan when I was growing up in the 80's / 90's, I never missed a race in those days...

Then the 'racing' became so dull that I would only watch the start of a race (as that was when most of the excitment happened) and then fall asleep / switch off / cut the grass during the rest of the 'race'.

Now, I can't bring myself to watch it at all.... I'd rather watch paint dry.... the commentators almost pass out if someone gets overtaken (not that it happens very much) and then the result is decided in a courtroom some weeks later following a possible rule violation.

The cars barely make a noise these days and there are so many 'safety systems' that I think I probably put myself at greater risk driving to work every morning along the A1 than the F1 drivers do...lol

Give me MotoGP / WSB / BSB any day, real racing, lots of overtaking, riders risking life and limb etc... Brilliant!!!

I used to be a massive F1 fan when I was growing up in the 80's / 90's, I never missed a race in those days...

Then the 'racing' became so dull that I would only watch the start of a race (as that was when most of the excitment happened) and then fall asleep / switch off / cut the grass during the rest of the 'race'.

Now, I can't bring myself to watch it at all.... I'd rather watch paint dry.... the commentators almost pass out if someone gets overtaken (not that it happens very much) and then the result is decided in a courtroom some weeks later following a possible rule violation.

The cars barely make a noise these days and there are so many 'safety systems' that I think I probably put myself at greater risk driving to work every morning along the A1 than the F1 drivers do...lol

Give me MotoGP / WSB / BSB any day, real racing, lots of overtaking, riders risking life and limb etc... Brilliant!!!
And yet, here you are.... on an F1 thread. ;) Seems that maybe you do still have an interest after all.

As for MotoGP/WSB/BSB, I agree they are really good, I love going to watch BSB and watch the others on TV whenever there's coverage. And for sure the riders really take themselves to the edge and sometimes pay the price. Q. Will Shakey be silly enough to get back on a bike in 2019?

Anyway, welcome!

At the Classic Car show at the Excel at the weekend they had Sennas first F1 car which they were driving in the exhibition hall.

We all know we shouldn't read too much into testing times, but how often has McLaren topped the time sheets for two consecutive days recently?
Should we all be singing Lando Hope and Glory, or When the Sainz go Marching in?:rolleyes:

Mercedes had to change an engine yesterday, the Ferrari broke and pitched Vetel in the barrier today, all the new boys seem quick but I'm sure we won't see the true pace of any of the teams until Melbourne.:cool:

Does anyone play Fantasyformula1 ?

F1 Fantasy

Basically you get $100M to buyer 5 drivers and 1 constructor who earn points on the same basis as the real drivers and teams. Then you form or join a league and get your mates to play. We have a league at work in the office. It's a great talking point on Monday mornings to see who has earned the most points.

This is my first stab at a team for this year which I will revise after testing is finished this week. If you have a go you will find it's not that simple as $100M is not nearly enough to have all the drivers and the constructor you really want.

F1.PNG

Does anyone play Fantasyformula1 ?

F1 Fantasy

Basically you get $100M to buyer 5 drivers and 1 constructor who earn points on the same basis as the real drivers and teams. Then you form or join a league and get your mates to play. We have a league at work in the office. It's a great talking point on Monday mornings to see who has earned the most points.

This is my first stab at a team for this year which I will revise after testing is finished this week. If you have a go you will find it's not that simple as $100M is not nearly enough to have all the drivers and the constructor you really want.

View attachment 83903

Oddly enough. I saw something on one of the facebook groups for this last week and joined it. I'll have to have another look but I'm sure it's the same.

So today was the penultimate test day prior to Melbourne, and who was quickest? Pssst... It is I, Leclerc ! (with apologies to 'ello, 'ello')
The next 3 places filled with famous names like Albon, Norris and Gasly.
De Kidz iz cumin!

We all know we shouldn't read too much into testing times, but how often has McLaren topped the time sheets for two consecutive days recently?
Should we all be singing Lando Hope and Glory, or When the Sainz go Marching in?:rolleyes:

Mercedes had to change an engine yesterday, the Ferrari broke and pitched Vetel in the barrier today, all the new boys seem quick but I'm sure we won't see the true pace of any of the teams until Melbourne.:cool:

My old company were large McLaren sponsors back in the day when they won races without leaving their motor home.

We were granted several Corporate Visits to GP’s & Factory tours. The tours were always massively popular and McLaren ran them in a way that had every participant feeling that they were part of the team. The massive sense of pride and drive to win was everywhere you looked and went. Years later I still smile when I recall these trips. Simply put, they were brilliant, informative and fun days.

How the mighty fall? I think is true here, but I also think that they will get it back. I also hope that the do.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom