Familiar E55 W211 Moved to New Home Further North

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Cheers, it wasn't siezed so to speak, just rounded the hex when trying to get it out even after tapping this in.
Certainly wasn't seized after I got my little persuader out to sort the offending bolt out.

On a plus note got another 1L of fluid out of the drain pan today, that's 6L+ now, trick seems to be take it to bits and go away and leave it for several days. :) Well it's the holidays and I'm a little bit fragile.....

Been a bit busy over the holiday (doing nothing), back to work now and good news is some suppliers are late delivering components for manufacturing. ;)

So couple of days to do some work on the car:

Cleaned & epoxied the mount bracket for the airmatic pump as seen in previous post #16 as you can see a little bit of rust at the top of this.
20180110_163529.jpg

Having a look around and guess what decided to remove more bits (sorry Alps:))

20180110_163521.jpg

Calipers off as I couldn't get them cleaned up well enough while on the car.

Of course the bolts for the brake wear sensor on both sheared off so bit of machine work to do on the calipers now.
The one on the right has only had a wipe over with brake cleaner, bit of time needed to get these spotless.
20180110_163657.jpg

These certainly are beasts of calipers!

Anyone from experience have any pointers for cleaning & refurbing these?

Rotors are in good shape but I may take these off to clean up the back plates etc.

For a "normal" car I'd change the rotors and pads when broke down to this stage but I'm guessing the rotor costs etc. are not at all similar to a "normal" car. ;)

Disc's are very reasonable from MB and Aftermarket Pagid etc, I think the quote i got Were roughly £80 each gen plus vat, Pads around £100 or so.

So have you access to Star? just wondering as you have took the calipers off from the brake flexi's?

Disc's are very reasonable from MB and Aftermarket Pagid etc, I think the quote i got Were roughly £80 each gen plus vat, Pads around £100 or so.

Think this has Redstuff brake pads on it, still plenty on them so I'll likely leave.

So have you access to Star? just wondering as you have took the calipers off from the brake flexi's?

Yes, got a C3 system here so can do some of those niggly things now.

Thats a result having star, good time to do a fluid change too then ;) Re Cleaning the calipers, Just like you have done, Brake clean then Car polish with a Rag, you will be surprised how it cuts through that gunk :) Looking awesome buddy :)

Anyone think I should have the calipers professionally refurbished and painted?

Then again I'd need to then find someone to do that, maybe lets see how they look when all cleaned up and polished first. ;)

Hey Pat, top job, wish i had a ramp and time at work to work on my cars! It was driven all year round so keeping components clean was always hard work.

Discs i always went with genuine MB ones, they should be fine, the redstuff pads on the front were replaced not too long ago, so id stick with them.

The calipers i would refurb, there was corrosion forming under the steel slider plate, got round this by grinding the pads a little. There is a company you can send them away to "brake caliper refurb" or something, they will replace all the seals, nipples etc at the same time and replace the logo too.

Hey Pat, top job, wish i had a ramp and time at work to work on my cars! It was driven all year round so keeping components clean was always hard work.

One of the handiest things to have is a ramp, it's good that we are not a fully functioning garage as we can strip things and leave them for a "bit" on the ramp.

Discs i always went with genuine MB ones, they should be fine, the redstuff pads on the front were replaced not too long ago, so id stick with them.

Discs and pads are good, it's so tempting though just to buy new rotors. ;)

The calipers i would refurb, there was corrosion forming under the steel slider plate, got round this by grinding the pads a little. There is a company you can send them away to "brake caliper refurb" or something, they will replace all the seals, nipples etc at the same time and replace the logo too.

Working on that now, think they will benefit from a full makeover job.
Of course I'll then have to do the 2 rear corners too.

Anyone think I should have the calipers professionally refurbished and painted?

Then again I'd need to then find someone to do that, maybe lets see how they look when all cleaned up and polished first. ;)

Definitely worth doing now you have them off the car. I used Bigg red to do mine on my C43 very recently and they did a cracking job, for not a lot of £££!

Definitely worth doing now you have them off the car. I used Bigg red to do mine on my C43 very recently and they did a cracking job, for not a lot of £££!

Cheers, BiggRed don't do the 8 piston ones, would have to go to the likes of ProCalipers for these.

We have media blast here so I'm weighing up blasting and painting in house, only thing is I can only paint, not powder coat.
Just have to find out some details on the pistons and availability of seals or a full kit.

Calipers have been cleaned up a bit bit.
Top one is just washed, bottom one has had a bit of a polish apart from the hard to get corners and inside.
20180111_214212.jpg
20180111_214252.jpg

More work needed.........

Are those yours after a refurb?
Nice job if they are.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom