Finally got my C Class!

• Thread starter Deleted member 113659
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I know this is not what you will want to hear but I wouldnt buy a second hand rim. For the following reasons:

1) Its a refurb rim, so why was it refurbed to begin with? Maybe be only surface damage or more you are taking a risk, you dont know the history.

2) This is the most important one for me, I personally had experience with rims (which were also refurbed by previous owner) which were over torqued i.e. tighten way to tight with an impact gun. This resulted in a nightmare situation with my new front brake disc warping after only 1000 miles. I ended up replacing two sets of disc before it was discovered the rim were actually causing the warping due to either over torqueing or the fact it refurbed. Had brand new Mercedes rims (x2) fitted no issues since.

Be careful when fitting your rims yourself, use a torque wrench (Halfords do one for £100) and torque to the measurements as defined in your owners manual. For me on the W222 sclass its 150Nm, also torque the bolts in the correct sequence they show in the manual to avoid any problems later.

WIS state to torque to half the recommended value first (75Nm) then to the recommended value (150Nm)

I hope this is of some help, if you buy second hand you have no idea of the history and could end up warping your brake disc and get that annoying shudder ever time you brake, a much worse position than you are in right now.

View attachment 105342
Thank you. Appreciate your input. 👍

one here too. Never been fitted apparently.

"" How to spot a refurbed AMG alloy " I think he means never been fitted after a refurb . I'm not 100% sure but the 10mm holes next to the bolt holes don't appear to be internally chamfered , this is a sure sign especially on 18" 5 spokes that the face has been skinned. The number of times I've seen obviously skinned wheels on ebay with the seller not mentioning a refurb is staggering.

Listing gives the ET as 33 , quick look on Alloy wheels direct , W205 , gives a different part no and ET of 44. Will have a quick look at my 19" in the morning.
AWD list the alloy , with listing part No , as from a C43 with the same offset as the listing - 33.
The listing just says W205 , so it's not actually untrue.

Last edited:
I would not worry about having a refurbished wheel - as long as it has no structural damage what’s wrong with a refurb?!

Listing gives the ET as 33 , quick look on Alloy wheels direct , W205 , gives a different part no and ET of 44. Will have a quick look at my 19" in the morning.
AWD list the alloy , with listing part No , as from a C43 with the same offset as the listing - 33.
The listing just says W205 , so it's not actually untrue.
I have indeed noticed that the PN on the eBay listing is different to that on Alloywheelsdirect.

I’m going to remove the front wheel this weekend to confirm the part number. At lest then I can search the net confidently.

Alloy wheels direct have reduced the price of the all silver 19" by 25% , still £526 , but might be worth a call ( I realise it's another £190) to see if they'll do the same on the black one.
Just checked it out. The Night Pack alloy is £715.00 (reduced from £730)

"" How to spot a refurbed AMG alloy " I think he means never been fitted after a refurb . I'm not 100% sure but the 10mm holes next to the bolt holes don't appear to be internally chamfered , this is a sure sign especially on 18" 5 spokes that the face has been skinned. The number of times I've seen obviously skinned wheels on ebay with the seller not mentioning a refurb is staggering.
Just had message back from seller. Never been fitted nor refurbished.
However, as you say, may be the wrong part number anyhow.

1C52B32F-E452-4696-816C-82A4C9B23A32.jpeg

Nice looking Mercedes, shame these dam garages/salesmen tend to put a damper on things.
I had issues when I picked my car up which I didn’t expect from a posh Mercedes dealership.
Perhaps they are different if your buying brand new.

Ok, so had the car into BM Carlisle on Wednesday to sort a few minor issues. Whist it was in they gave it the standard 'Health check' and sent me the video. Astounded to hear that the offside ball joint has excessive play/wear. given that we've only covered a few hundred miles since getting the car its very likely that the ball joint was in this condition when the car was sent from MB Southampton. Another nail in the coffin for them and the Mercedes Used Approved Scheme :devil:.

New Alloy Wheel has been fitted funded by us. ✅
Car Booked into bodyshop on 9th Jan to have chrome door handle and tailgate strips painted body colour. ✅
Bought cheap cherished numberplate and ordered actual plates. ✅

STILL waiting for the remaining 4 trims from Southampton. 👎

Last edited by a moderator:
Ok, so had the car into BM Carlisle on Wednesday to sort a few minor issues. Whist it was in they gave it the standard 'Health check' and sent me the video. Astounded to hear that the offside ball joint has excessive play/wear. given that we've only covered a few hundred miles since getting the car its very likely that the ball joint was in this condition when the car was sent from MB Southampton. Another nail in the coffin for them and the Mercedes Used Approved Scheme :devil:.

Car Booked into bodyshop on 9th Jan to have chrome door handle and tailgate strips painted body colour. ✅

I really hope it’s going to be worth all the aggro. You appear to have made more phone calls, emails, garage visits, eBay surfing and posts on car forums than I’ve done in 30 years of car ownership.

There’s obviously nothing fundamentally wrong with it but do I feel like I know your car intimately.

I really hope it’s going to be worth all the aggro. You appear to have made more phone calls, emails, garage visits, eBay surfing and posts on car forums than I’ve done in 30 years of car ownership.

There’s obviously nothing fundamentally wrong with it but do I feel like I know your car intimately.
Sorry Darrell. :thumb:

Main dealers are no different to any other, maximum profit is all they are interested in, I had a couple of issues with mine when I got it last year, the ones that didn’t cost anything except workshop time were done, but others, including service items that had been done, turned out not to have been “spark plugs” all recoded on MB digital service, makes you wonder wether you should put your trust in it 🤔 any how lovely car in the best colour 😉

Did they just fit it for free or did they pay for the alloy ? I thought you sourced a used wheel ?

Sounds ace. Looking forward to the photos 👍🏻
83137FA1-18D3-4ECF-901F-FC3CC97B8059.jpeg84DC3A56-A797-4971-A498-8CB0C1DC4502.jpegE05C7F0C-4E3E-4A2C-B146-75DC278CEA83.jpeg
All finished. As I said, made up with end result.

Not so great at MB Carlisle today. They connected to star diagnostics and puddle light fault is due to condensation. Apparently NOT covered within the used approved warranty. Neither is the intermittent problem with the rear parcel shelf mechanism. Seems they can duck n dive whenever suits. No big deal. I’ll get them sorted with my indie at its next service.

Although the buying experience hasn’t been great I’ve no regrets whatsoever. Bloomin love the car. 👍

Last edited by a moderator:
View attachment 108211View attachment 108212View attachment 108210
All finished. As I said, made up with end result.

Not so great at MB Carlisle today. They connected to star diagnostics and puddle light fault is due to condensation. Apparently NOT covered within the used approved warranty. Neither is the intermittent problem with the rear parcel shelf mechanism. Seems they can duck n dive whenever suits. No big deal. I’ll get them sorted with my indie at its next service.

Although the buying experience hasn’t been great I’ve no regrets whatsoever. Bloomin love the car. 👍
Looks abso-blooming-lutely fan-blooming-tastic 👌🏻

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom