Finally got my C Class!

• Thread starter Deleted member 113659
  • Start date
Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Well, after too many phone calls and emails I've come to an end in my quest to obtain a replacement alloy wheel. Being passed from pillar to post and getting nowhere. MBCS lady was very sweet and polite but said that MB of Southampton are refusing to supply a replacement so she has closed the case against them. It seems MBUK has no way of forcing the dealership to do something they don't want to do. I've often wondered had I been someone remotely famous or even a minor celebrity with many followers on Social Media would they have fallen over themselves to make me happy? Who knows, but I certainly think being a nobody doesn't help ones cause in a situation like this.

Anyhow, I will indeed source my own replacement. Not sure if to go brand new or a good used/refurbished one online. Given that lately we've only using the car a few times a week to do around 3-4 miles around the village I'm in no immediate rush. I'll probably get it sorted over Christmas.

Still happy with the car (aside from the blooming wheel). Still waiting for 4 out of the 12 high gloss trims from MB Southampton (That's another story). Once they arrive I will arrange fitted at the bodyshop my grille was fitted.

It's booked into MB Carlisle on 16th December for a few issues.
  • Parking sensors keep turning themselves off after engaging F or R. (2 second Long beep)
  • Rear parcel shelf closes when closing the tailgate but fails to retract when tailgate opens.
  • Very occasionally when selecting F or R - message on dash saying 'Depress brake peddle before selecting gear' even though my foot is hard on the brake. I have to turn ignition off and try whole process again. It's happened about 10 times since September.
I hope this isn't the start of a nightmare. MB Carlisle have assured me the issues will be covered by the 12 month used approved warranty.,

I've received a newly covered steering wheel (Jack @Royal Steering Wheels). Its much better than the existing one which is very smooth and shinny due to mileage and cleaning products used on it. Over the moon with how the new one looks and feels. I'm a little concerned about fitting compared to my Vito which was very easy. Being a mild hybrid I'm not sure about disconnecting the power to the airbag. There's a big battery in the boot compartment, and apparently one in the front passenger footwell? (which is not easy to get to). I'm wondering if there is some other way of disconnecting power? I assume removing the airbag without killing power is a big No No?

Can anyone through me any help/advice?

TIA

Ant

Sweet, those rims look ace 🙃💪
I'd be tempted to maybe put the welded rim on the back so it's not carrying as much weight
Canny do that as it’s a staggered set up. Will soon get myself a replacement and maybe sell the welded one on eBay to recover some pennies.

Oh right, did not know that, what's a staggered set up ? 🤔

I would look for an identical cheap wheel on eBay then have it refurbished. Might be quicker and easier than waiting for a pristine example to come along, especially given that you only need a single wheel and not a complete matching set, and buying new from the dealer will probably be quite expensive.

That said... have you considered that MB might be right - I.e. that the wheel was professionally repaired and the weld is indeed only a cosmetic issue?

That said... have you considered that MB might be right - I.e. that the wheel was professionally repaired and the weld is indeed only a cosmetic issue?
That’s a great point MJ. It’s more than likely that the weld is a good one but I guess that’ll always be a degree of doubt in my mind if I leave it on the car.

As you say, a a good used wheel online that needs a refurb shouldn’t break the bank. I know a brand new one is £730.00

Missed this thread, I think that finding a used 19" Black edition alloy for a C class is like trying to find a needle in a haystack , and staggered as well. There's a rear one on e-bay - kerbed - and he wants £400 for it - in his dreams. As said , a decent used one refurbished to black edition is going to be easier to find.

Well, after too many phone calls and emails I've come to an end in my quest to obtain a replacement alloy wheel. Being passed from pillar to post and getting nowhere. MBCS lady was very sweet and polite but said that MB of Southampton are refusing to supply a replacement so she has closed the case against them. It seems MBUK has no way of forcing the dealership to do something they don't want to do. I've often wondered had I been someone remotely famous or even a minor celebrity with many followers on Social Media would they have fallen over themselves to make me happy? Who knows, but I certainly think being a nobody doesn't help ones cause in a situation like this.

Anyhow, I will indeed source my own replacement. Not sure if to go brand new or a good used/refurbished one online. Given that lately we've only using the car a few times a week to do around 3-4 miles around the village I'm in no immediate rush. I'll probably get it sorted over Christmas.

Still happy with the car (aside from the blooming wheel). Still waiting for 4 out of the 12 high gloss trims from MB Southampton (That's another story). Once they arrive I will arrange fitted at the bodyshop my grille was fitted.

It's booked into MB Carlisle on 16th December for a few issues.
  • Parking sensors keep turning themselves off after engaging F or R. (2 second Long beep)
  • Rear parcel shelf closes when closing the tailgate but fails to retract when tailgate opens.
  • Very occasionally when selecting F or R - message on dash saying 'Depress brake peddle before selecting gear' even though my foot is hard on the brake. I have to turn ignition off and try whole process again. It's happened about 10 times since September.
I hope this isn't the start of a nightmare. MB Carlisle have assured me the issues will be covered by the 12 month used approved warranty.,

I've received a newly covered steering wheel (Jack @Royal Steering Wheels). Its much better than the existing one which is very smooth and shinny due to mileage and cleaning products used on it. Over the moon with how the new one looks and feels. I'm a little concerned about fitting compared to my Vito which was very easy. Being a mild hybrid I'm not sure about disconnecting the power to the airbag. There's a big battery in the boot compartment, and apparently one in the front passenger footwell? (which is not easy to get to). I'm wondering if there is some other way of disconnecting power? I assume removing the airbag without killing power is a big No No?

Can anyone through me any help/advice?

TIA

Ant
With regards your parking sensor issue, I had exactly this problem in my 2 year old sclass, turned out to be moisture in an electrical connector going to the parking sensors behind the front bumper. New wiring harness was ordered and fitted all has been fine since.

I've been plagued with ongoing issues with moisture destroying the control units in my sclass for the last two year, many others are having the same problem, Mercedes know well about it but yet cant offer a long term fix. See my other thread on here if you are interested.

You have a c-class so hopefully you dont have this problem as it has totally destroyed my ownership experience for the last two years, keep an eye out for fogging in your headlights especially around this time of year, typically appears after use at night time and then parking up, as the headlight cools moisture forms on the inside. Eventually it destroys the ILS control units.

Ive tried a modification myself by installing extra ventilation caps (used by other car manufacturers) which blocks moisture penetration. I need to wait a few months to ensure its a fix but it looks promising so far. I'll document it on this site once confirmed as a long time solution.

Apologies for the some what off topic content, but my advice is to keep an eye out for fogging in your headlights, Mercedes say its normal and state this in the owners manual but ultimately it could cost you alot of money when you are out of warranty.

The headlights on my C class mist up after washing it , soon clears , but it's something I'm not totally at ease with.

The headlights on my C class mist up after washing it , soon clears , but it's something I'm not totally at ease with.
I cant speak for the c-class but I can tell you in the s-class the control units themselves are not sealed and moisture eventually gets into the circuit board and destroys it. In my case they last about two years and then fail out side warranty of course. It may not seem bad at the time but its doing damage internally.

I've sealed the control units with high grade silicone, removed the Mercedes breathable membrane from the headlight assembly and installed 6 nitto vent caps:

Heres latest image of it when it was opened up at the dealership:

IMG-0952.JPG
222222222.jpg

Last edited:
I haven't got ILS on the "C" class , glad really , as I had it on my previous E class coupe and I think a replacement unit was circa £1500 , not quite as cheap as changing a bulb.

Missed this thread, I think that finding a used 19" Black edition alloy for a C class is like trying to find a needle in a haystack , and staggered as well. There's a rear one on e-bay - kerbed - and he wants £400 for it - in his dreams. As said , a decent used one refurbished to black edition is going to be easier to find.
One here that’s good to go:

Alloy wheels direct have reduced the price of the all silver 19" by 25% , still £526 , but might be worth a call ( I realise it's another £190) to see if they'll do the same on the black one.
Cheers dude. I’ll check it out. 🤞

One here that’s good to go:

I know this is not what you will want to hear but I wouldnt buy a second hand rim. For the following reasons:

1) Its a refurb rim, so why was it refurbed to begin with? Maybe be only surface damage or more you are taking a risk, you dont know the history.

2) This is the most important one for me, I personally had experience with rims (which were also refurbed by previous owner) which were over torqued i.e. tighten way to tight with an impact gun. This resulted in a nightmare situation with my new front brake disc warping after only 1000 miles. I ended up replacing two sets of disc before it was discovered the rim were actually causing the warping due to either over torqueing or the fact it refurbed. Had brand new Mercedes rims (x2) fitted no issues since.

Be careful when fitting your rims yourself, use a torque wrench (Halfords do one for £100) and torque to the measurements as defined in your owners manual. For me on the W222 sclass its 150Nm, also torque the bolts in the correct sequence they show in the manual to avoid any problems later.

WIS state to torque to half the recommended value first (75Nm) then to the recommended value (150Nm)

I hope this is of some help, if you buy second hand you have no idea of the history and could end up warping your brake disc and get that annoying shudder ever time you brake, a much worse position than you are in right now.

1111.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom