First (and Second) Mobilolife Experience.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andy Stanton

Thought I’d share with you my first (and second) experience of Mobilolife as I know it was a hot topic a while ago.

Driving to work on 21st December my car lost most of its power. Couldn't accelerate beyond 2500rpm in any gear and what was there was pitiful. Little transmission light on the dashboard came on too.

I called the Mobilolife where my personal details were already available to them based on my registration plate and I highlighted the problem to them. They confirmed a service engineer would be dispatched shortly and I should expect a call to confirm when. I had a text about 15 minutes later confirming an ETA of 11.06am (an hour after my initial call). 11.05am I get a call from the guy who was waiting outside the company’s car park for me.

The engineer plugged in the diagnostics tablet and had a good rummage round. Eventually surmising the turbo, exhaust or interconnecting plumbing had gone. The plumbing looked OK so he referred me to the dealer to resolve. I was presented with options on what could happen next and I agreed that I would be willing to limp the car to my preferred dealer (Hughes of Beaconsfield btw) as it was fairly close and near to the school where I had to collect my daughter later that day (I could walk down to meet her if need be). A hire car would be made available for me at the dealer and I could swap keys on arrival, or shortly afterwards. I was more than happy with that solution.

Got to the dealers and the guy (won't mention names in case of any legal issues on this site) on MobiloLife duty was expecting me as the details had already been faxed through. He took me through what they thought the problem was, how long they thought it might take to fix and that the hire car would be arriving shortly as it was on route but stuck in the xmas traffic in town. It was made clear that they would contact me when the car was repaired and that I should enjoy the hire car until mine was available. A mutual collection date would be made once repaired and I shouldn't change any of my personal plans in the interim as a result. They would work around me.

The hire car arrived about 20 mins later and it was a brand new E-Class! Only 69 miles on the clock. I had numerous calls from Mobilo Life and the Hire company in the 4 hour period from reporting the fault to getting home later that day, all seeking reassurance that everything was in order and acceptable to me. Almost apologetic my car had broken down.
On Friday 28th it was finally repaired and in the process of being washed in preparation of my collection later that day if I was available. I had a new turbo and preliminary catalytic converter (the latter due to consequential damage from the turbo). I picked the car up, handing over my hire car keys, and went on my way. All done with a smile and complete politeness and professionalism from MB. Just what I'd come to expect and experience over the last few years.

Sadly, I had exactly the same fault on Monday 31st and called Mobilolife again. Spookily I had the same engineer who went through an examination again and arranged for me to drop the car off at the dealers and have a hire car delivered. All very smooth again. In case you were wondering, I was fairly close to dealers each time so there was little risk of me not making it or causing problems on route. It was my choice to do this on both occasions due to personal plans.

I dropped the car off at the dealer and awaited delivery of the new hire car. This time..... a new shape S Class!!! Blimey, talk about being spoilt! This must be costing MB a fortune, but I'm not complaining.

Had a call today from the dealer to confirm their thoughts on the problem and to apologise for this repeated incident. I'll be contacted once the problem’s sorted...

To summarise my experience to date - Stunning service from every touch point. At the risk of sounding like a salesman, it really is a great feature of MB and makes ownership a pleasure. The entire team couldn’t have been more helpful and reassuring. I can't wait to break down again!

And finally, the important bit for most of us - the cost of this little adventure. Zero. Mobilolife is FOC, obviously, but l was smart enough (lucky / brave / gullible *Delete as applicable!) to take the risk of buying MBs Service Plus cover for three years when I bought my company car. It's £86 a month which has already covered an MOT, D Service and a few odds and ends, more than paying for itself in the 6 months it’s been running. I suspect the work to date (new turbo, new preliminary catalytic converter, Labour, top quality hire cars and now possibly a main catalytic converter (they think) more labour etc etc) would have cost a few thousand I'd have thought. If you're still pondering the value of Service Plus, do you need a bigger example of a no-brainer? It certainly works for me.

Well done MB.

Wow, finally MB have woken up!

Thanks for the report - let us know how you get on.

Well done, sounds like a good experience hope it's all well now.

Out of interest what age is your E Class?

It maybe a sticky turbo.....

Not sure about diagnosis that as a new turbo has just been fitted and the symptoms are the same. Big coincidence if it is so let's wait and see. I'll give the solution when I get the car back.

Great that you've had this done at no cost ... other than paying for Service Plus of course.

Not so great to have problems like this on a prestige car that's only done 50k miles?

I have nothing but praise for the Mobilo system, as they have helped me out a couple of times in the last ten years, when I have been abroad.:rock: :rock:

Not so great to have problems like this on a prestige car that's only done 50k miles?

Agreed. Thanking my lucky stars for service plus otherwise I'd be looking at a bank loan to cover the costs.

It's not so much Mobilolife that's the good thing (the cars shouldn't break down in the first place, and if they do then they should be fixed first time) but ServicePlus - can you imagine how stressful this would have been if you'd had to pay for it, especially as the dealer seems to be randomly changing parts which may or may not have been necessary?

Great Story..

I'm due to get my first MB delivered on Friday (E-Class). So am I right in thinking this Mobilolife will cover me for breakdowns etc. and I no longer need the RAC cover that I had with my last car ?

Great Story..

I'm due to get my first MB delivered on Friday (E-Class). So am I right in thinking this Mobilolife will cover me for breakdowns etc. and I no longer need the RAC cover that I had with my last car ?

Correct, and for 30 years too, if serviced by MB.

Russ

It's not so much Mobilolife that's the good thing (the cars shouldn't break down in the first place, and if they do then they should be fixed first time) but ServicePlus - can you imagine how stressful this would have been if you'd had to pay for it, especially as the dealer seems to be randomly changing parts which may or may not have been necessary?
But presumably the average benefit from having Service Plus is less than people pay for it, otherwise M-B would lose money on it ...

You are buying peace of mind really - same as any insurance policy.

Thanks.. And sorry I don't want to hi-jack this thread but another question..

I really like the sound of this ServicePlus and think I may join. However, would it make more sense to join after my 3 year MB warranty is up on the car ? As I assume I can join after 3 years ?

I have unfortunately had to use Mobilo twice, both times with my old W211 E320 CDI.
I could not fault them at all, very proffesional and very quick, my only complaint was that once they gave me a VX Omega which was unpleasant:D

I have nothing but praise for the Mobilo system, as they have helped me out a couple of times in the last ten years, when I have been abroad.:rock: :rock:

And when you turned your car into a submarine...

This is what I call service - I fully intend to take out service plus 3 months before my warranty runs out..

Wow, finally MB have woken up!

What do you mean? They are claimed to have become unreliable and that was what the owner wanted it to be ("cannot wait for the next time it brakes", would it be a Maybach) :D

Honestly, the mobilo-life or related service seemed perfect but the actual service on the car wasn't. I don't know these engine issues but I've been told that the diagnosis easily hints for a turbo problem and they first change that only to realise it was something else. And experts claim to know what the issue in a case like this actually is, with no need to change the turbo. They then explain the customer "they found something in addition to the turbo" even if the turbo had been fine to start with.

Was it that in this case some of the exhaust parts had failed because of a failing turbo, perhaps this time the turbo really was bad.

Thanks.. And sorry I don't want to hi-jack this thread but another question..

I really like the sound of this ServicePlus and think I may join. However, would it make more sense to join after my 3 year MB warranty is up on the car ? As I assume I can join after 3 years ?

Hmm... Not sure. My car was my company car that I bought at the end of it's 3 year lease. I took out Service Plus when i bought it which effectively extended the full maintenance package for another 3 years (6 in total).

I don't know how much of the full maintenance package was covered by the fleet company versus MBs standard 3 year warranty. I doubt MB warranty would cover wear and tear on brakes, exhausts etc so I suspect it's an above and beyond package. Maybe there's a greatly reduced rate for cars under warranty? Be worth you finding out.

Eitherway, it's available for cars up to 6 years old (i.e if you buy a 5 year old car you can only get a 1 year service plus deal) and then it becomes a reduced warranty of some sort. Hope this helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom