First Merc: Whats should the temperature be?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Irfan

Hi
I brought my first merc ever (E270 CDI Avantgarde). I brought it from Merc Direct so it has a full year warranty with it. I want to find out as to what the average engine temperature should be.
When the car is in motion, the temperature stays below 80 degrees because of cold air blowing on the engine. But then i am standing in the traffic the temperature goes up two bars above 80 (I think its 95 degrees). I want to know if you experience merc owners think this is normal or acceptable. Please give your views

Regards
Irfan

temp indication

Not sure if this will help - my temp ranges between 40 ( moving) and 65(stationary).

Between 80 normal and 100 degrees is quite all right, after 100 the fan should kick in to cool things down.

Sounds OK to me.;)

I thought mine varied a lot but dealer says it's normal. 40-90 seems about normal in mine.

Not sure if this will help - my temp ranges between 40 ( moving) and 65(stationary).

That can't be right? I've never heard of a car that runs so cool. If it were 65 when hot, you'd be able to put your hand on the radiator and keep it there.

FWIW mine very rarely drops below 80 while driving, and will reach 100 while still (on a hot day).

I think your temp gauge is on the blink. As stated 80-100 is normal. 85-90 you burn carbon and blow it out the exhaust. So by design you aren't burning any, so you might be all clogged up.

But I think your gauge is faulty

All visco engine fans cut in at 80c and electric 100c

100c is the near optimum for petrol engines.

My old 1928 RR only ran ok, once it got to 100

Had a chat with Merc direct servcie department yesterday. According to them, the temp between 80-100 is normal. Mine stays between 60-80 while driving and goes up to around 95-100 when standing still. So i guess this is about right

Had a chat with Merc direct servcie department yesterday. According to them, the temp between 80-100 is normal. Mine stays between 60-80 while driving and goes up to around 95-100 when standing still. So i guess this is about right

Your thermostat is always half open.
The temp should never stay below 80.
If you change it you will have a constant 80 to 90.

andreas

I agree with exfouskos, the variation you're getting is too high. Once warmed up, my E320CDI runs at 85 whether the weather is hot or cold and the car moving or stationary. As your car has fundamentaly the same cooling system it should be doing the same.

I have a C270CDi and the temp never budges from just over 80.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom