First snag.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I hope that I've remembered correctly what the guy said, CRANK position sensor and not CAM position sensor! I'm about to order the former and am planning on doing it along at Sultans car club. Surely the car can make it half a mile across the camp.

And to honest after my '98 Avensis, which gave me 14 years of trouble-free motoring,

Maybe I should have got an Avensis. Only joking!

LG

I hope that I've remembered correctly what the guy said, CRANK position sensor and not CAM position sensor! I'm about to order the former and am planning on doing it along at Sultans car club. Surely the car can make it half a mile across the camp.

Maybe I should have got an Avensis. Only joking!

LG

A Camshaft Sensor will not made a engine cut out, it there purely for the purposes for starting. So relax....

And referring to my old Avensis - it wasn't too bad to look at.... :p This was after I had had it for 10 years!

lh0m4Pn.jpg

Last edited:
When I come to tackle this sensor, do I need to disconnect the battery, and is it OK to re-use the original bolt? Also, is there a torque setting for it?

Cheers, LG.

When I come to tackle this sensor, do I need to disconnect the battery, and is it OK to re-use the original bolt? Also, is there a torque setting for it?

Cheers, LG.
No, (well I wouldn't - just make sure the Key is not in the Ignition) Yes and as far as the torque setting, I suppose there is but I would just do it up tight enough. As the yanks would say, "snug"... ;)

Job cancelled. Sorry about that, I know that you were all on tenterhooks waiting to hear how I got on. Unfortunately, the part hasn't arrived and we don't get mail here on Sats. Not sure when it will get done now but I'd like it done by the weekend.

I have had it suggested that it is easier to do from below. True or false? Isn't there some difficult to remove under tray in the way?

LG.

Difficult to remove? from a man who has the avatar of the galaxy's most complicated and mechanically challenging starship - I hardly think so.

I'd go for one with a decent shell and read up on the chap in Holland who has one doing 30 MPG and lots more power. Turquoise metallic, while I'm dreaming.

I'd go for one with a decent shell and read up on the chap in Holland who has one doing 30 MPG and lots more power. Turquoise metallic, while I'm dreaming.

They like their Citroens over in Holland. I haven't come across the one you are referring to but I like them in soft, pastel shades.

Well, my sensor arrived today. I'm planning the attempt for Wed after work.

Sunday, while out on the bike, came across another silver 320 not far from here. I thought it might have been the guy arranging the meet up on Sunday mentioned above. I went back later in the day and knocked on the door. It wasn't him. The owner wasn't on the forum and didn't seem especially interested in talking cars.

I did learn that he had had it for about 10 years, that it only had around 62K on the clock and could well be for sale. It is an 04 car.

LG.

So many cobbled streets so one can justify a DS. I once drove my CX from Amsterdam to my home in Western France in no particular hurry and enjoyed every inch of the trip.

I wasn't at all serious about shipping that SM back. Apart from the body looking a little eh, "tired", it doesn't have the original engine or box. I do have to own one at some point though, if only for a summer.

Anyway, back to more immediate issues, my CPS. Tomorrow is the big day. I'm doing it along the car club and was along there tonight when I guy turned up with a CLK200 to put a couple of new rear boxes on. I had a look underneath while he had it up and decided that there doesn't seem much to be gained from using a hoist.

So, this time tomorrow it should be either all done or else I'll be trying to get it booked in to a garage somewhere.

LG.

Da Da! Not done. It's the latter. Took the engine covers off, managed to remove the mass air thingy, but even sitting on the engine I simply couldn't see the CPS. Could not see it, (or even feel it.) Had to give up, admit defeat and put it back together. Surprisingly, it did start afterwards.

I'm now a bit screwed though. By thinking that I could do it myself I've cocked up my weekend plans. We have a weeks leave starting and I'll be lucky to find anywhere to do it now.

.....ing car!

LG.

Right. So you know where it isn't. You need light and a diagram. One, you will have to deal with. The other, I'll see what I can find.
Mercedes-Benz W210 Crankshaft Position Sensor Replacement (1996-03) E320, E420 | Pelican Parts DIY Maintenance Article I found this. It gives a list of tools, pitfalls and complications to be overcome together with methods to do so. Piece of cake for a Citroen Sourcier, of course but you might want to set some time aside...

Hi and thanks for that. If only mine were that accessible. Anyway, just watched a vid on it's removal again and I might have been looking in slightly the wrong place. Nothing to stop me having another go I suppose.

Cheers, LG.

I admit I thought that you were not looking where you should. The retaining bolt needs to be extracted with a 2 foot long extension which sounds like a bit of a task.

Yes, I was looking below and just to the right of the air mass thingy when I should have been a bit further to the right under a load of gubbins. I might have another crack tomorrow.

LG.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom