Flat battery

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

merc07

Car
C350cdi & C220cdi
16 months old and it's died. C220cdi. Just clicks when you turn the key, voltage in dash shows 11.1v dropping to 8.1 when you turn the key. Radio and lights all work untill you turn the key further then the dash just fades. Any usuall suspects? CheersAdam

What type of car is it W202, W203?
What gadgets have you added to the car that weren't standard? Have you checked the alternator and had the battery checked out of the car?

Last edited:
Thanks for the links above.....jump satrting is not good then

It's a w203, as I said only 16 months old. All I have changed is the head unit for a Pioneer Sat Nav and a thermotronic control panel to replace the climtronic.

The Mobilo guy came out and tested the battery - all ok, but flat. He then jump started the car and tested for any drain which read as 0.7A - That would do it. It was charging perfectly ok as well.

I suggested taking out the fuses for the thermotronic or just unplug the thernotronic itself just in case. He took out fuse 41/51 for the air conditioner and said the current dropped to 0.11A - I wasn't there to see it. With the fuses back in, I tried swapping between the thermotronic and thermatic several times but couldn't get it to fault again. The current draw would start at around 0.75A and then quickly drop to 0.11A each time with either unit.

Could the thermatronic draw 0.6A when off ? Is there a permanent live going to it ? Is there any way to test it for sure ? Typical if it is buggered as I've just ordered the sun sensor !!

Any how, for now I've put the old thermatic unit back in and after driving this afternoon I'll leave the car standing for 3 or 4 days and see what happends. If it does fail again at least I'll know it's not the thermotronic causing it.

Cheers
Adam

Last edited:
As its only 16 months old and under warranty, I would book it in, get it sorted under warranty, and get a loan car while they sort it out.

It cam sometimes take them a while to find it.:)

Problem is the thermotronic wasn't part of the original car.........so if it was at fault they would charge me.

Cheers
Adam

OK, understand now, well if you still have the problem with the thermatic, then no problem you can take it in.

If it only occurs with the thermotronic unit, then I am a bit stumped, perhaps a dodgy unit!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom