FREE SatNav for Nokia phones -forever!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
installed flawlessly on my 5800

the GPS positioning doesn't seem to be so well calibrated as it does with Google Maps (also free) but it's close enough.

Google maps pinpoints my home location exactly - it can even differentiate between the rooms in the house, if I move, my location changes. Ovi maps classes my 'home location' as next door but one. It's post code correct just like our Garmin unit is - I presume that this is because it is sharing the same software

The position does not come from Google Maps or Ovi Maps but the GPS receiver on the phone. But at least Nokia Maps used to put you to a nearby road, closest to the real position. If you take the positioning (simple) application from the phone, it shows the exact position from the GPS receiver.

At countryside I've had Nokia maps show me on a road 200 metres away when I'm off road (not with the MB).

Google maps normally takes me less than a min to locate the satellites...

Both Google maps and Ovi Maps (Nokia Maps too) make use of location info from cell towers, they can even estimate your position in-between the towers (based on RSSI info). If you activate the assistance feature, both give an initial position within seconds and the GPS fix a few seconds later.

The application does not estimate the location from GPS satellites, the GPS receiver feeds that info to all applications equally.

Doesn't this app stream maps to your mobile as you go rather than having a local copy?

If so, doesnt that run the risk of getting very expensive and pretty much exclude it from being used while roaming or when in an area of poor data coverage?

Doesn't this app stream maps to your mobile as you go rather than having a local copy?

If so, doesnt that run the risk of getting very expensive and pretty much exclude it from being used while roaming or when in an area of poor data coverage?

Thats only if you want photo mapping, normal Sat Nav 3D view remains on the system.

Apparently the new app requires 20Mb free memory to install - hence why Mrs E's N97 wasn't on but the mini is.

N97 will have a firmware update (scheduled for 28/1) that includes the new software.

Perhaps this will also be the case for other phones too.

Ive just read it will be coming to older S60 phones such as the E71 after all!

This release is just for the current on-sale phones as they want to fight back against the growing threat of Apple & Google.

:bannana::bannana::bannana:

Probably a really dumb question, but not being too savvy with this stuff, I would like to know if your ISP charges you for usage (down/uploads) when using the Nokia GPS service.
I recently copped some huge charges for internet browsing from my Nokia.

Thanks Ingin

Probably a really dumb question, but not being too savvy with this stuff, I would like to know if your ISP charges you for usage (down/uploads) when using the Nokia GPS service.
I recently copped some huge charges for internet browsing from my Nokia.

Thanks Ingin

Unlike Google Maps, "Nokia GPS service" allows you to download maps in advance from your PC or via WLAN from the phone for free. There are other applications that do the same, actually I guess this is the default (to have pre-loaded maps) but Ovi Maps supports both modes which is often useful.

You do not need to use GPRS (your ISP service) at all if you prefer to avoid all costs. But most of the cost comes from downloading maps over the air, if you have maps pre-loaded you might want to allow the application to access internet. This would be mainly to help gaining quick GPS fix at when the application is activated. If you wanted to get live traffic info, that too is using GPRS connectivity but does not transfer a lot of data.

You have to consider which compromise fits you best.

Apparently the new app requires 20Mb free memory to install - hence why Mrs E's N97 wasn't on but the mini is.

N97 will have a firmware update (scheduled for 28/1) that includes the new software.

Perhaps this will also be the case for other phones too.

I have not looked at this but is this 20 megabytes needed from the phone memory, sounds a lot (maps would consume more memory but the memory card is used for that)?

I already have this on my E71, with a free European navigation license until 19/03/2010. I assume my licence will be extended to a free one when that expires?

Last edited:
I downloaded the OVI Mas and it was about 8mb, but as the card in the phone is 8GB, no problem. However when I tried to use it last night ther was no map detail shown until I enabled the internet connection ( Nokia 5800) then it gave me vice commands and map directions to walk home!. I have supposedly unlimited internet download as part of my £18 per month virgin pakcage, so it shouldnt be an issue but Id like to be able to use the satnav without using the internet/GPRS/3G if at all possible..

Check your settings.

I reckon OVI will like to use A-GPS but it shouldn't need to.

I'd try again, but let the phone's GPS receiver have a little longer to read the satellite positions.

I have not looked at this but is this 20 megabytes needed from the phone memory, sounds a lot (maps would consume more memory but the memory card is used for that)?

The answer given at the press release was that 20Mb was needed for installation - once installed the footprint is less, hence while it is being bundled "pre-installed" into the firmware release for N97.

I downloaded the OVI Mas and it was about 8mb, but as the card in the phone is 8GB, no problem. However when I tried to use it last night ther was no map detail shown until I enabled the internet connection ( Nokia 5800) then it gave me vice commands and map directions to walk home!. I have supposedly unlimited internet download as part of my £18 per month virgin pakcage, so it shouldnt be an issue but Id like to be able to use the satnav without using the internet/GPRS/3G if at all possible..

The other thing you may need to do is load the maps and voice files locally onto your phone - if they are not there the phone the app then looks to download from OVI on the fly.

Can I put this on an N95?

ok. have downloaded the 20mb file and have installed it to the phone but it will not find my position (indoors 1 mtr from window)... how do i ask it to find my position but JUST using receivers....I dont want to be paying for data.

Firstly, N95's in my experience are chronic for finding satellites so...

a) Maybe other Nokia's are the same

b) The GPS receiver (built under the keyboard of an N95) needs clear sight of the sky.

Open the app (Nokia Maps for me at the moment) and wait... and wait, until the app shows the presence of satellites by homing in on your position.

Then you should be able to get the app to work out a route etc.

Oh and if the app offers to go online, ie to use A-GPS, tell it no, because then it will start to use the phone network to triangulate your position using a data connection.

would help if I loaded the maps on too would not it!!! Downloading Europe (2.2Gb)now so that will take a few minutes. I really am a donkey at times!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom