Fujitsu Plasma Help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

brucemillar

MB Enthusiast
Car
C55 AMG Wagon - W124 300te 4matic Wagon - BMW 4.8is X5 E53 - SWB Pajero 3.5 V6 24v
Folks

Please help. I have tried without success to get hold of Fujitsu in the UK who either do not answer or continually ask me to call back later.

I have a Fujitsu 42" Plasma that has developed a fault. This is the P42HHS30ES which has a separate controller box which connects to the panel.

Problem is:

The plasma switches itself off at random intervals ranging from a few minutes to a few hours. When it does this the LED on the Controller box (not the led on the panel) flashes red three times, then a pause, then repeats the three flashes.

The panel itself stays green then eventually switches into standby (presumably as it has no signal)

Can anybody tell me what is wrong with it and what needs replacing or repairing. Does anybody know what happened to Plasmavision in the UK? They used to be based in Watford and ran a repair service from there.

I have no idea if this worth the cost of repair or if I should look to buy a new one.

I believe it's about 7 - 8 years old and remember they cost several thousands of pounds!

It sounds like a power supply problem. It might be possible to rebuild it by replacing all semiconductors/ Capacitors. Sadly I believe you would be best to buy a new TV. My old faithful SONY cost me £2,500 10 years ago but it's over-shadowed by our new SAMSUNG which cost just over £400.

Buy SAMSUNG PS43F4900 3D 43" Plasma TV | Free Delivery | Currys

I had the same problem on a Phillips screen I bought about 12 years ago. I was the PSU.

Do you have disassembly/soldering skills?

If so i would replace all Electrolytic caps first and then work through the power correction devices next (regulators etc) Could cost as much as £40 - £50 in parts with no guarantee of success. I'd have to do it as I'd never rest thinking that a 25p component could have saved it!

Do you have disassembly/soldering skills?

If so i would replace all Electrolytic caps first and then work through the power correction devices next (regulators etc) Could cost as much as £40 - £50 in parts with no guarantee of success. I'd have to do it as I'd never rest thinking that a 25p component could have saved it!

Yes I am good with a soldering iron & used to working on PCB's. However I would have no idea where to start on this. I was hoping to find something on Google but have had no luck. Somebody else had the same issue but had to £800 to have it repaired.

Cheers all for your help.

It is the "Digital PCB" that is failing. Cost makes it a junker.

I see no obvious component fail on the PCB. Cleaning has provided some respite but only delays the inevitable demise.

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Folks

My insurers have agreed to replace the TV (my policy is "new for old")

However they have offered a Panasonic Plasma valued at £500 new. I would have to pay a £200 excess.

They state that it is not about value but about supplying an equivalent spec TV - which they claim the Panasonic is. I have argued that I have a Rolex watch and using their rules an equivalent could be argued to be a Timex as it is a watch and it tells the time.

They are investigating and will get back to me. Can I insist that they increase the value of their offer either by:

1) Offering me cash - I can then buy my own TV of choice.
2) Offer me a bigger panel or higher spec that at lest matches my value including depreciation.

Won't the Panasonic now have a higher spec than the fuji from 8 years ago?

Personally I wouldn't be submitting a claim for £300 as you'll be looking at higher premiums for the foreseeable.

Suggest using it as an excuse for a trip to Richer Sounds for an all singing all dancing smart TV....

Unless you are hoping to hold out for the Apple one that's being released.

Have I understood this correctly. Your old TV has developed a fault and your InsCo are coughing up for a replacement?

Have I understood this correctly. Your old TV has developed a fault and your InsCo are coughing up for a replacement?

Not quite. My TV developed a fault when the Electricity was repeatedly shut off then on again (15 times in less the 2 minutes). This was due to multiple overhead line failures in our area. The electricity board have written apologising and confirming that they had many "flapping"connections (as opposed to hard failing).

I am insured against such an event and asked if I was covered. The Insurance company have agreed that I am covered and have confirmed with the electricity company that I am telling the truth.

I would prefer to have the TV repaired but cannot find anybody willing to take it on at less than £800 and that is with no commit to fix. Fujitsu do not make these panels anymore.

I have attempted to source the part(s) without success and have also looked on ebay but that is not without risk.

1) I would be buying second hand.
2) Most are collection only - due to size.

So I am back at square 1. Hence my question. What can I insist on with my insurers as a replacement. I am not looking at betterment (per see) but equally I am not looking at getting a much reduced quality/value return (that is why I have insurance)

If the are offering me a £500 TV as a replacement for my £4000 TV with a £200 excess and increase in premium then it is not worth the claim or having the insurance. I may as well just go down to Richer Sounds and spend £500.

Which exact model of set are they offering? £500 less £200 excess is basically a £300 set. You might find you can purchase one yourself for very little more than that and then take a punt on an Ebay part to repair your old one/

I think you should forget what you paid for the set and concentrate on getting an equivalent size and spec. If it costs much less then so be it, and as you indicated, it is probably worth carrying the cost yourself. In the alternative, given that the Elec Co have admitted liability, could they be approached?

My big Panny cost a fortune about ten years ago. Equivalent size/spec theres days would be way under a grand.

Not quite. My TV developed a fault when the Electricity was repeatedly shut off then on again (15 times in less the 2 minutes).

As an aside, was it on a surge-protected mains lead (not sure whether that would have made any difference in this case or not)?

As an aside, was it on a surge-protected mains lead (not sure whether that would have made any difference in this case or not)?

My guess is that it would. I have one on most of my kit as I live in the middle of a field and the elec is always cutting in and out and flickering. The joys of bucolic splendour :D

It was surge protected. But I think the PSU simply could not handle the rapid switching.

I also live in a remote area.

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom