Gearbox program irritating!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
MB is renowned for its plush, smoothness and refinement. So my reference point re gearbox I used above are cars I had the privilege to own in the past - '14 M5 F10/11, '09 Audi RS6 C6 (modified 740bhp) and '14 C7 (std).

In all these cars I'd simply jump in, warm it up (after a cold start) and go for a drive. Gearbox would be super smooth irrespective of what mode one would select to drive in. For comparison and behaviour-wise, MCT is on par once the temp has reached 40deg plus. However, when cold, it is lacking that refinement that for example, ZF has in my opinion.

Irrespective of it all, I still love the AMG experience. V8 rumble with that IWC clock/watch inside car always puts a smile ;).

MB is renowned for its plush, smoothness and refinement. So my reference point re gearbox I used above are cars I had the privilege to own in the past - '14 M5 F10/11, '09 Audi RS6 C6 (modified 740bhp) and '14 C7 (std).

In all these cars I'd simply jump in, warm it up (after a cold start) and go for a drive. Gearbox would be super smooth irrespective of what mode one would select to drive in. For comparison and behaviour-wise, MCT is on par once the temp has reached 40deg plus. However, when cold, it is lacking that refinement that for example, ZF has in my opinion.

Irrespective of it all, I still love the AMG experience. V8 rumble with that IWC clock/watch inside car always puts a smile ;).
The ZF 8 speed used by Audi is a beauty of a gearbox.

Going back to my original post..with the rider that I love this car, it's a wonder in general:

Am I the only person here to get annoyed with the 9 Spd gearbox for changing up with such alacrity in C? It's not just when in town. I was in deep countryside yesterday. In a village, in 6th gear. Out of the village onto a road with derestricted sign, 7, 8, 9, within seconds. All at 1000 rpm. You can't throttle steer or guide round corners on country roads like this. Change down manually, keeps the right gear for a few seconds, then back up to 9th at 48mph.

Sure, if you floor it out of the village, it will, for a short while, hang on to gears, but that's not the way I want to drive.

As I mentioned before, S doesn't solve the problem, S+ is too aggressive for my normal driving particularly with the extra Brabus thrust. You can drive in M but that's not my point.

But is nobody else annoyed by this phenomenon? Maybe it's me!

Out of the village onto a road with derestricted sign, 7, 8, 9, within seconds. All at 1000 rpm. You can't throttle steer or guide round corners on country roads like this.
if you’re throttle steering then you’ll need the be carrying a fair amount of speed into the corner to put the tyres on the limit of available grip, and I assume with driver assistance systems disabled - you wouldn’t do that in auto Comfort mode would you?

Even with the considerable power your car has, I doubt it would have ever been engineered to do that in auto Comfort mode, as it’s engineered for economy and comfort - that’s the default used for emissions and economy testing,

Maybe I have the technical term wrong. What I mean is creating additional forward momentum via the rear wheels by adding extra power during and after the apex of a curve. Thereby creating an additional rotational force as the front wheels are steered left or right. And giving a satisfying feeling of helping the car around the corner.

Not possible to do at 1000 rpm. It’s like steering a car with the engine off (albeit PAS functioning). Very much possible to do in this car at around 1400 rpm upwards. That’s all I ask from Auto C mode. Keep me in an area where the engine has power. No engine has real power at 1000 rpm. Yet the transmission is programmed to run the car at 1000 rpm.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom