Getting rid of horrid silicon from interior trim

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
You might be surprised at how much comes off with just a damp microfibre cloth to begin with.

Cost - £0.00
Risk- none
Effort - very little ;)

Agree with this. These 'cockpit shine' materials don't have a high silicone content and only leave a nano particle layer on the surface. As others have said if you simply leave it you will find that it will naturally break down over a period of time. I've personally never found isopropyl to cause damage to plastic products in the 20 years I've been using it. But then I have also never used it in a GSL350 interior ;-) there's always a first time and I wouldn't want to be the reason for you saying 'that guy said it would be OK' ;-/ For sure stay away from anything acetone based - it does break down silicon but also softens plastic! WD40, whilst breaking down the silicon, in hindsight might well give you a shiny oily sheen which it sounds like you are trying to avoid. White vinegar would likely be the safest option of any of the solvent options. The housewives cleaner of choice ;-)

Ultimately may come down to how much time (and money) you wish to invest. I'm not a huge fan of the whole detailing industry that has grown out of what was effectively just cleaning and polishing your car thoroughly; but now involves washing it tenderly with baby wipes, cleaning with the finest brushes made from the manes of palomino stallions, and applying waxes and polishes cultured on the leaves of exotic tropical palm trees that cost thousands for a small jar. All described in menus with expensive sounding new terminology such as 'paint correction' and 'extraction'... The one big advantage here though is that if your 'detailer' does make a mess of your interior you can sue the hell out of him ;-)

As I been say for days!!! Right you better do a comparison video. Split the dash in two and let have a clean off!!!! I'm getting my popcorn. 🍿😂
I didn't (clearly) read the whole thing, otherwise I'd have given you a hat-tip... :)

Not had the time to tackle it yet but the cheapest method will be attempted soon.
Not sure it'll have the excitement nor suspense for that popcorn moment to be memorable, but i'll do my best ;)

@Shadychris LOL at your assessment of the Detailing fad :thumb:

Bilt hamber surfex hd at a weak dilution. Then dress with Adams interior dressing. Leaves a lovely oe finish and is the best I’ve used.

Recently picked up my GLS350d but the interior was liberally dressed with the most horrid silicon that left all plastics and trims darker and shiny as well as leaving a layer of residue thats left the surface very smooth...and i hate it.
What's the best product to use to first, get rid of all the crap, and then to get the finish back to original matt like look and feel?

Thanks
Why do they apply that in the first place? Absolutely detest that stuff.

As mentioned, APC diluted and an mf will remove it.

Dress with detailed online natural dressing and it's done

Brake and clutch cleaner will clean off all the shiny stuff without damaging the trim

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom