• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

GLA 200 Reverse Camera calibration every time you start

I know what you mean. I didn’t spend £40k and expect to hear the camera trundling out on every trip.
Seems there are complaints in several countries and a total reluctance by Mercedes to do anything about it.
This will also be my last Mercedes.

If you have the same issue please read the details below and
My dealership spent 3 weeks with software update, renewed camera control unit and replacement camera then to be informed this is per design is a ploy to stop complaints.
I have sent this to [email protected] as I was informed by the dealer ship (SYTNER Sunderland UK) that MB will not resolve if a threshold is not attained
You need to raise this with MB and your dealership.
GLA 200 2023 New model Executive AMG

Reverse Camera repeated deployment/retraction recalibration on every ignition start.

A very frustrating and irrational function for vehicle performance.

I cannot understand the repeated Reverse Camera recalibration program at each ignition start.

The requirement to drive at less the 30KPH and not to deviate steering by 10 Deg to complete this calibration is non-sensible.

If the vehicle is driven more than 30KPH the camera retracts

Less than 20KPH the camera redeploys.

This is repeated for numerous cycles until it decides that recalibration cannot be achieved.

To design a component to fail in its lifecycle will result in expensive replacement in the future.

The software program is poorly designed and ill conceived and needs to be elevated through to the MB factory for resolution.

Options to consider in a review of the program logic.

• Do not deploy the camera in forward drive.
  • Cancel the recalibration program cycle if the vehicle is in the forward drive above 30KPH.
  • If the Reverse Camera needs a recalibration requirement the tolerances of GOOD/NO GOOD bandwidth need to be greater than what is in the program logic at present.
Questions

• Why does the Reverse Camera deploy even when you go directly to forward drive mode?
  • For the Reverse Camera to complete a recalibration at every ignition start they must be some safety requirement in its design for the vehicle to be driven?
  • Does the PARKTRONIC feature need this detailed calibration in its functionality and if errors exist in its calibration has an adverse impact on the vehicles safety features?
  • Does the Reverse Camera when the car is selected to reverse require this feature and is integrated within the rear sensors for collision calibration?
  • If this is not the case then why does this functionality exist and the vehicle continues to recalibrate for multiple cycles until it stops.
  • If recalibration is not required then why is the feature installed in the 1st place?
Stupid feature , waste of time : that is what mirrors are for .

In the Fintail series the tips of the tail fins were visible through the back window and designed to show where the extremities of the car were when reversing : foolproof and nothing to go wrong.

Agree totally. I can sometimes force a calibration in my A class before I reach the first main t junction out of my estate if it is quiet but it is essentially impossible to achieve this anywhere else due to traffic conditions. If it was a very occasional requirement you could potentially go to a quiet estate somewhere to do it but if you have to do this every time the car is started, as is the case with my car, this is completely impractical. Also, it is impossible to get the camera to calibrate if it is dark or, I believe from my experience, in heavy rain as the camera can’t focus properly. In designing the camera in this way MB have clearly not thought it through regarding the noisy operation and the nuisance effect this has on owners. They may in time wake up to this if there are enough complaints but I doubt anything is going to happen any time soon. If I were to purchase another MB car I would be looking out for this and it would definitely be a deal breaker.
Pull the fuse and disable it

Email from MB customer services on 30/04/2024

I trust that my email finds you well.

As per your enquiry, please be informed that this is not a malfunction, but desired system behavior: The calibration of the rear camera is performed. To do this, the cover of the camera is opened for a maximum of 5 minutes when moving forward. The calibration can be carried out as long as the vehicle speed is < 30 km/h and the steering wheel angle is < 10°. If these criteria are no longer met before the calibration is complete, the calibration sequence is aborted and the camera is retracted. The sequence will start again as soon as the criteria are met again.

If you have any further questions, please feel free to contact us with your case reference 06516644.

Yours sincerely,

Andie
Customer Service UK

00800 9 777 7777 (international freephone)
0207 660 9993 (charged at national rate)
Tell them it is NOT desired by you THE CUSTOMER, who happens to always be right , and INSTRUCT them to disable it .

The Halfords guide is a buyers guide, it’s not stating law, or even a guide to law.
Someone somewhere (probably EU) has decided we all need reversing cameras and it is or soon will be law.
Somebody else (probably USA) has decided that if fitted it has to work correctly (accurately) in order not to miss anything.
Mercedes have made a hash of it by using an existing option and modifying the software so that in their view it is always calibrated and accurate, and frankly it is accurate.
They have overlooked the fact that in smaller cars the noise is significantly louder.
I am quite sure that they will not disconnect as @pioneercollector suggests to satisfy a few customers.
If it is disconnected, or the fuse pulled, the ECU will show an error. If an error shows it may well in the future become an MOT problem.
The best we can hope is that they revise the software at some point, so that it calibrates less frequently.
Meanwhile we are stuck with it but had I known about it my last purchase would not have been a Mercedes.

Fitted yes . Nothing states they have to operate
As said before...its not the law and they dont have to be fitted at all...let alone working.... proven by the fact that you can still buy loads of cars either without one at all or only available as a cost option. See post 94 for just one example.

I've been following this thread and the people's frustration with this problem...I think I can understand why MB has seen the need for constant calibration in this way, i.e. for the accuracy of the 'picture'.

Now, if they consider that the car's 'attitude' significantly affects the calibration of the camera system, can they not devise a system linked to the sensor that adjusts the headlamp beam when the car is loaded? Or is that too much to hope for?

Ernie

ps. I now drive an Audi with a rear camera that is probably less accurate than the ones in my C classes and can get dirty in poor conditions!

I've been following this thread and the people's frustration with this problem...I think I can understand why MB has seen the need for constant calibration in this way, i.e. for the accuracy of the 'picture'.

Now, if they consider that the car's 'attitude' significantly affects the calibration of the camera system, can they not devise a system linked to the sensor that adjusts the headlamp beam when the car is loaded? Or is that too much to hope for?

Ernie

ps. I now drive an Audi with a rear camera that is probably less accurate than the ones in my C classes and can get dirty in poor conditions!
As I think I have said before, I have an electronics calibration background and can fully understand why MB think they should frequently calibrate. It’s how they are going about it that is the problem.

With respect I think you should start a separate thread on headlights. This calibration is such a costly, frustrating and important topic for owners I don’t think we should allow the thread to be sidetracked.

I've maybe not made my thoughts clear enough....I'm not side-tracking the thread. Maybe you should re-read my comment! It's not about the headlamps, it's about using the headlamp compensation sensor to calibrate the rear camera! (Modern cars with LED or Xenon lamps have a sensor connected to one of the axles which compensates for load to prevent dazzling on-coming drivers)

Ernie

As I think I have said before, I have an electronics calibration background and can fully understand why MB think they should frequently calibrate. It’s how they are going about it that is the problem.

With respect I think you should start a separate thread on headlights. This calibration is such a costly, frustrating and important topic for owners I don’t think we should allow the thread to be sidetracked.

What is worrying, though, is that on one side MB stress the importance of calibration of a driver aid safety system, but on the other hand, owners complain that the calibration never completes successfully.

I would take the car to the dealer and argue that this is a design fault that makes the car unsafe to drive - the fact that a safety system that requires calibration never really manages to calibrate successfully.

Let them answer that the lack of calibration does not affect the performance of the safety system...... :doh:

Reactions: Ted

Ernie

Sorry. Yes misunderstood you. Good point though.

What is worrying, though, is that on one side MB stress the importance of calibration of a driver aid safety system, but on the other hand, owners complain that the calibration never completes successfully.

I would take the car to the dealer and argue that this is a design fault that makes the car unsafe to drive - the fact that a safety system that requires calibration never really manages to calibrate successfully.

Let them answer that the lack of calibration does not affect the performance of the safety system...... :doh:
Very valid point.
Our complaint about noise & procedure was made to the dealer 3 weeks ago before our holiday, as of today, apparently no response from Mercedes. Surprised? No of course not.

I’m about to get a letter off to Mercedes. I think I’ll borrow your very valid point if I may.

I think Mercedes are running scared in some way. The Xentry report detailing the calibration procedure was dated 2017. What prompted that ?

In 2021 legal action in the USA halted most Mercedes sales until they fixed a blank screen reversing camera problem because apparently it was a threat to driving safely..

Ok the two things are probably not related, except they are, because one way or another both involve reversing information available to the driver which apparently is considered essential to our ability to drive.
So Mercedes decided to check on every startup that it’s still working and correct information is available.

But your point is very valid. If it’s still bouncing around at the end of a journey and obviously hasn’t calibrated, how can the journey be considered safe?

In my Emails to customer services I also made the point that the noisy deployment and retraction was absolutely fine with me if it only happened once when I put the car in reverse. I could not understand why the camera is deployed when I select drive, I don't think that has happened in any of my previous cars. They did not pick up on that at all.

On a lighter note, I have recently done a couple of reasonable trips, including some time on my beloved M25 !! and returned well in excess of 50MPG, so apart from the camera fault the GLA seems pretty good.

Agreed. Comfortable too. Let down by a simple camera.

Anyone got any further with complaints to Dealer/Mercedes about this so called camera calibration?
It’s not uncommon for that thing to attempt whatever it’s trying to achieve 30 times in an 8 mile journey.
There must be dozens of cars with that noisy racket. Do people complain about it, or just accept it?

Back in May our dealer said we could reject the car and he would start that process, since then though emails from us to him just get ignored.

So just over a week ago I emailed Mercedes complaints dept.

I received an almost instant response but they asked me to complete my contact details on Mercedes Me (it was already complete) but I replied immediately restating everything.

Since then silence.

Today we went into the Dealer. None of our previous contacts were available and the chap who came to see us did a good job stonewalling every complaint whilst saying that they have to contact Mercedes. I of course pointed out that under the consumer act they sold it to us, but in the end we left because the conversation was going nowhere.

On a side issue we have a problem with just one of the isofix child seat connector sockets not accepting the seat bracket (tried two seats). His answer was some fit some don’t, try another seat. That’s a fight for another day.

What has happened to Mercedes!

At one time you could depend upon them but it seems not now.

The last few weeks have just produced one evasive answer after another.

Truth is I suppose they are franchise dealers.

Anyone got any further with complaints to Dealer/Mercedes about this so called camera calibration?
It’s not uncommon for that thing to attempt whatever it’s trying to achieve 30 times in an 8 mile journey.
There must be dozens of cars with that noisy racket. Do people complain about it, or just accept it?

Back in May our dealer said we could reject the car and he would start that process, since then though emails from us to him just get ignored.

So just over a week ago I emailed Mercedes complaints dept.

I received an almost instant response but they asked me to complete my contact details on Mercedes Me (it was already complete) but I replied immediately restating everything.

Since then silence.

Today we went into the Dealer. None of our previous contacts were available and the chap who came to see us did a good job stonewalling every complaint whilst saying that they have to contact Mercedes. I of course pointed out that under the consumer act they sold it to us, but in the end we left because the conversation was going nowhere.

On a side issue we have a problem with just one of the isofix child seat connector sockets not accepting the seat bracket (tried two seats). His answer was some fit some don’t, try another seat. That’s a fight for another day.

What has happened to Mercedes!

At one time you could depend upon them but it seems not now.

The last few weeks have just produced one evasive answer after another.

Truth is I suppose they are franchise dealers.
I started a similar thread some time ago on here for my A class with this constant camera calibration issue. I have got nowhere with either the dealer or MB direct. The dealer says that the advice from MB is that this is n intended operation of the camera, that there is therefore no fault and they can’t do anything. On the other hand MB tell me tht there is no fault and this is intended operation but that if I m not happy I should take the car into my dealer to be examined, which I have done twice. In short nothing is being done, I’m just getting bounced between the dealer and MB and MB seem to have no intention of doing nothing about this. The only way to deal with this is to either not buy a new MB car as they all seem to be doing this now or reject the car immediately you notice the noise as you drive away from the dealer if you were unaware of this issue.

I started a similar thread some time ago on here for my A class with this constant camera calibration issue. I have got nowhere with either the dealer or MB direct. The dealer says that the advice from MB is that this is n intended operation of the camera, that there is therefore no fault and they can’t do anything. On the other hand MB tell me tht there is no fault and this is intended operation but that if I m not happy I should take the car into my dealer to be examined, which I have done twice. In short nothing is being done, I’m just getting bounced between the dealer and MB and MB seem to have no intention of doing nothing about this. The only way to deal with this is to either not buy a new MB car as they all seem to be doing this now or reject the car immediately you notice the noise as you drive away from the dealer if you were unaware of this issue.
That’s pretty much where we are. I think I can predict the answer from MB if it ever comes but I press on because I want them to register the complaint (in the hope it adds to the complaints they already have).
The chap we spoke to today side tracked every point we made “it’s a function of the car” “its calibrating the 360deg camera” “we have to do as Mercedes instruct us”
We actually complained to the dealer just three weeks after delivery but I think that whilst saying they depend on customer satisfaction, they are deaf to complaints.
I just can’t understand how Mercedes can think that that racket is acceptable on a modern car.
I bet a Kia at a fraction of the cost doesn’t do it.

That’s pretty much where we are. I think I can predict the answer from MB if it ever comes but I press on because I want them to register the complaint (in the hope it adds to the complaints they already have).
The chap we spoke to today side tracked every point we made “it’s a function of the car” “its calibrating the 360deg camera” “we have to do as Mercedes instruct us”
We actually complained to the dealer just three weeks after delivery but I think that whilst saying they depend on customer satisfaction, they are deaf to complaints.
I just can’t understand how Mercedes can think that that racket is acceptable on a modern car.
I bet a Kia at a fraction of the cost doesn’t do it.
I'm sorry to report that I am in the same position as you folks, Brooklands Mercedes unable to help and nothing further from MB customer services even though I have bombarded them with Emails. I am surprised that we haven't seen more people joining in on this forum, they must be selling a fair few as I notice they are doing a sales drive for the GLA on Facebook. I suppose the national press is now the only option.

And to crown it all I have just received my car insurance renewal notice which has gone up into the stratosphere. So all in all pretty pee'd off.

Sorry this a little lengthy but I’ve spent time on this and feel it’s important.

Sorry about your car insurance. I know it hits hard, I can only suggest you shop around and stay as flexible as possible.

Like you I am surprised that more people with this camera problem haven’t commented on here.

I wish they would speak up.

I don’t think that the people we are able to speak to at either the Dealer or Mercedes Complaints are able to resolve this. This is buried in software and the people we complain to are only able to reply to surface questions. Overwhelming complaints to Mercedes might have some result.

Seems to me this is related to one or more of the 360 deg, blind spot, cross traffic options (none of which I actually ordered, but just happened to be on the car spec)
360 deg is useful but if I could find a way I would switch them all off.

I did a lot of web searching a while back and somebody in the USA solved his camera problem (GLE) by turning off Cross Traffic.

The car Owners Manual p297 says first that you only have cross traffic option if you have blind spot option but that you can turn cross country off (depending on country) in ‘Manoeuvring Assistance’ p298.

p298 though says manoeuvring assistance is an ‘on-demand feature’ p24 and not available in all countries.

p24 also directs you to a purchasing option (if it’s available) in Mercedes Me.

My car Settings don’t show it and I’m not prepared to throw more money at it just to test it.

So I turned to ‘Blind Spot Assist’ p274 and it suggests on p276 that you can activate or deactivate it.
But in my car Settings - Assistance, - ‘Collision Assistance’ doesn’t exist (at least in my car).

So every path I have followed after studying the book (and there have been other paths) is a dead end and I think this is why we are not getting anywhere with Dealers or Mercedes on-line Complaints (at the level we are limited to in contacting Mercedes).

The people we are able to contact only work with surface information and they don’t have the time or ability to dig deeper so we get ‘glib’ replies often varying widely.

Having done a lot of internet research a few weeks back and now followed this through for the second time I don’t think this will get resolved until enormous customer pressure forces the Mercedes marketing people to think again and that’s why I would like to see more GLA/A’s owners/users speak up.

There is a common thread here though. Someone somewhere is over reacting heavily to safety and that’s the biggest obstacle.

It really is not on for a car of this value and the lack of understanding we received yesterday just wound me up more.

If I’ve missed anything or gone off at a tangent please add your thoughts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom