• The Forums are now open to new registrations, adverts are also being de-tuned.

GLA 200 Reverse Camera calibration every time you start

My goodness I admire your tenacity. I can't really add very much, but it is certainly a world wide complaint. I have just joined another forum, MBWorld, which seems to be mainly folks in America and some in Taiwan.
You will remember that some time ago I wondered if it would be possible to put some insulating material in the void behind the camera, well that is exactly what one American dealership has done. Please see copy pasted below.
I know we should not be having to even think about doing this, the whole thing is just bloody ridiculous and I for one will vote with my feet at my next purchase.

The solution they came up with was to 1) add insulation and felt tape inside the internal cavity behind the camera inside the trunk lid and 2) lubricate the mechanism. When I left we decided I would give it two weeks to see how it was.

Early results on drive home is that the insulation drove 70-80% reduction in amount of the sound to the point that it is not noticeable over the radio. So very much improved. More to come....

My goodness I admire your tenacity. I can't really add very much, but it is certainly a world wide complaint. I have just joined another forum, MBWorld, which seems to be mainly folks in America and some in Taiwan.
You will remember that some time ago I wondered if it would be possible to put some insulating material in the void behind the camera, well that is exactly what one American dealership has done. Please see copy pasted below.
I know we should not be having to even think about doing this, the whole thing is just bloody ridiculous and I for one will vote with my feet at my next purchase.

The solution they came up with was to 1) add insulation and felt tape inside the internal cavity behind the camera inside the trunk lid and 2) lubricate the mechanism. When I left we decided I would give it two weeks to see how it was.

Early results on drive home is that the insulation drove 70-80% reduction in amount of the sound to the point that it is not noticeable over the radio. So very much improved. More to come....
I’m afraid I can be like a dog with a bone and I have seen dogs get really angry with a bone.

I’m infuriated with both the Dealer and MB attitude.

Yes I saw mbworld a while back, that thread relates to GLE’s but they seem to have the same problems.
I think it was on there somebody said turning off the cross traffic option solves the problem but I can’t turn it off on mine.

Just looking at your post on there.
Not quite sure how to explain it but I think the maximum 5 minutes means that if speed is maintained at <30 kph the camera will stay open for a maximum of 5 minutes (that kind of thing is usually to avoid overheating or similar).

It has nothing to do with the stupid thing attempting to calibrate again the next time speed falls below <30 kph.

Insulation is one answer but I can’t see how I can do that and still stay within the terms of the warranty - my car is only 3 months or so old!
I guess the internal boot lid panel has to come out but I have no idea how to do that, or do we lever the camera unit out from above the number plate?

Any ideas?

I'm afraid I am somewhat bereft of ideas. I have stopped the boot lid when it is half open to have a good kook at the panel, but wouldn't fancy levering that lot out. I would imagine the American people would have popped the camera unit out to gain access. Yet again I keep coming round full circle to the fact that we should not be having to even contemplate this sort of thing. Sorry no further thoughts. Regards

I've noticed several MB car reversing, with the rear camera popping open and then closing in complete silence.

I can't help thinking that the issue with the GLA is in part due the combination of lack of soundproofing material (cost cutting) and cheap clackety camera mechanism (cost cutting again).

I've noticed several MB car reversing, with the rear camera popping open and then closing in complete silence.

I can't help thinking that the issue with the GLA is in part due the combination of lack of soundproofing material (cost cutting) and cheap clackety camera mechanism (cost cutting again).
I’m not sure you hear it outside of the car. It’s not a one off either, the frequency of the thing popping in and out is half the trouble.
Yes it probably is down to insulation on the GLA but on the mbworld site there are loads of Americans complaining about the same thing on the GLE (yes E) for the last couple of years.
I think we are all out of ideas (everywhere) because MB won’t listen.

My last car was a 2018 C class saloon, the reversing camera deployed only when you put the car in reverse and retracted when you put it in drive, and that was it. I don't remember ever hearing anything. How I wish I had kept it and avoided this bloody nightmare.

My last car was a 2018 C class saloon, the reversing camera deployed only when you put the car in reverse and retracted when you put it in drive, and that was it. I don't remember ever hearing anything. How I wish I had kept it and avoided this bloody nightmare.
My last car was also a C-Class which I kept for 9 years. The camera worked faultlessly and I never questioned it.
It had a wind whistling noise in the last couple of years which seemed to start after repairs to the front nearside, probably a missing grommet or something misaligned. But it was nothing compared to this.

This has appeared on MBWorld today, so looks like the electric jobs are afflicted as well.

Have a brand new 2024 EQA250+ facelift. Can confirm it’s doing the same thing in this model too. Being a quiet EV the noise is really noticeable and annoying. Going to take it into the dealership soon to see what can be done but it sounds like it’s a common issue.

This calibration procedure and complaints has been around for a while but it seems MB are still rolling it out across models.
I wish I had kept a spreadsheet or something but to my mind it affects G and A series in the UK, E series in the USA, C series in Canada.
Thats not conclusive just based on forum complaints and probably depends on what options cars have.

Has anyone got an update on this camera problem, or even new owners who are experiencing the problem?
My Dealer seems to be doing everything to delay our rejection of the vehicle.
Mercedes CS reply quickly to my emails but each time assure me of their continued support, heartfelt apologies, etc etc but actually achieve nothing.

Has anyone got an update on this camera problem, or even new owners who are experiencing the problem?
My Dealer seems to be doing everything to delay our rejection of the vehicle.
Mercedes CS reply quickly to my emails but each time assure me of their continued support, heartfelt apologies, etc etc but actually achieve nothing.
No updates - my efforts have died a slow death. Dealer tells me MB say this is normal operation and not a fault and there is nothing they can do. I complain to MB who say the same thing but if I’m not happy go back to the dealer to get it checked out and so it goes round and round. This is never getting fixed and MB are pushing out more new cars with the same issue so it’s clear they don’t see the problem. I’ve given up.

No updates - my efforts have died a slow death. Dealer tells me MB say this is normal operation and not a fault and there is nothing they can do. I complain to MB who say the same thing but if I’m not happy go back to the dealer to get it checked out and so it goes round and round. This is never getting fixed and MB are pushing out more new cars with the same issue so it’s clear they don’t see the problem. I’ve given up.
Ditto from me I'm afraid, we can only hope that somebody in America will stir it up enough for MB to take notice.

Worth noting, I paid 35.5 k for my car at the end of March, we buy any car.com have offered 27k.

Thanks all for the updates. The additional problem I have is that the dealer insists they are only an agent for MB and our contract is with MB.
I am not an expert on consumer law but my understanding is that we purchased from a UK Dealer and they are the point of sale.
Whatever, the two companies are good at batting this around until it gets lost.

Thanks all for the updates. The additional problem I have is that the dealer insists they are only an agent for MB and our contract is with MB.
I am not an expert on consumer law but my understanding is that we purchased from a UK Dealer and they are the point of sale.
Whatever, the two companies are good at batting this around until it gets lost.
MB recently changed their sales model such that I understand the contract is with MB direct and not the dealer.

Ditto from me I'm afraid, we can only hope that somebody in America will stir it up enough for MB to take notice.

Worth noting, I paid 35.5 k for my car at the end of March, we buy any car.com have offered 27k.
I paid £34,600 for my A180 AMG Executive in April 2023. A recent valuation on Parker’s Price Guide puts the private sale price at £22,000 max so a trade in would be a bit less. That’s a depreciation of 36% in just over a year - horrendous. MB are now discounting them by £3,500. As a comparison I bought a heavily discounted C class cabriolet three years go for £35,000 and that is now worth around £21,000 or a 40% depreciation in three years or very nearly the same as the A class on one year. I paid cash so I will need to hold onto it for quite a few years to even out the depreciation as surely it can’t continue to plummet at that rate.

You are correct sir.
I went to dig out my sales paperwork to see who my contract is with but I can’t find it but I searched for a description of the MB direct sales method now being used and found this - “Agency models see dealers evolve from stationary sellers to agents that remain the physical touchpoint with the consumer. Under this model, the OEM becomes the retailer and as such the contractual partner. While dealerships remain central to Mercedes-Benz, the carmaker, and not the dealer, will conclude sales contracts with customers.” Can anyone verify from their sales paperwork who their contract is with.

I went to dig out my sales paperwork to see who my contract is with but I can’t find it but I searched for a description of the MB direct sales method now being used and found this - “Agency models see dealers evolve from stationary sellers to agents that remain the physical touchpoint with the consumer. Under this model, the OEM becomes the retailer and as such the contractual partner. While dealerships remain central to Mercedes-Benz, the carmaker, and not the dealer, will conclude sales contracts with customers.” Can anyone verify from their sales paperwork who their contract is with.

Interesting. I wonder if it will hold in court (if it is ever tested).

Small print don't always work in retail, because unless the customer is clearly made aware of this arrangement, the courts might rule that this clause is invalid.

In short, the small print can't be used to circumnavigate consumer laws.

You are correct sir.
I also found this explanation in Auto Express which confirms that, under the MB direct sales model the contract is with MB nd not the dealer.

Franchised vs agency model: the key differences​

Under a franchise agreement:Under an agency agreement:
● The retail price of the vehicle is set by the dealer, so haggling is possible
● Sale contract is between dealer and customer
● Stock is owned by the dealer
● Dealers can pre-register cars to hit a target
● Specific costs associated with the brand, such as signage, are borne by the dealer
● Dealers can discount cars by ‘giving away’ some of their margin
● The retail price of the vehicle is set by the manufacturer, so there is no haggling
● Sale contract is between the brand and buyer
● Stock is owned by the manufacturer
● Dealers can’t pre-register cars
● Specific costs, such as signage, associated with the brand are borne by the car maker
● Dealers cannot discount models by ‘giving away’ the manufacturer’s margin

Interesting. I wonder if it will hold in court (if it is ever tested).

Small print don't always work in retail, because unless the customer is clearly made aware of this arrangement, the courts might rule that this clause is invalid.

In short, the small print can't be used to circumnavigate consumer laws.
Yes but consumer laws simply protects the purchasers rights against the seller and if the contract you signed is with MB direct then this is who the consumer laws protect you from and the dealer has nothing to do with the contract. Seems pretty straightforward. At the end of the day what difference does it make who the contract is with other than being able to go into a dealership to complain in person but that is no guarantee of success is it!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom