GLC 250d insurance

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sattie

Car
CLK 320 Advantgarde Convertible
Hi All,

Looking to buy a GLC 250d AMG Line Premium plus 67plate for the missus. Currently driving a VW Touran 2.0 140bhp. On comparison sites for insurance, OMG cheapest is £1110. She is 45 years old and a clean license since 1998. Touran insurance is £320. Wasn't expecting the insurance to be so expensive. May have to reconsider and look for something else. Any alternative insurance companies we could try out?

TIA

Last edited:
I wouldn’t imagine it is the car that has caused such a hike in premium, maybe a little, but most of that increase will be todays crazy insurance market.

We have a couple of threads running now that show (almost) everyone is seeing huge increases in their renewal quotes.

My wife drives a 67 plate GLC 250, with Aviva the first year she paid £310 and this year in May she paid £526 with a none fault claim (GLE total write off).
I’m quite convinced next year, unless the market changes, which I doubt, she will be paying even more, but hopefully not to the extent you are being quoted.

These insurance companies need to claw back their profit short falls from the COVID era and it’s effects of car values and repair costs.

Is that £310 a renewal quote for the Touran or is that the premium you paid last year? Maybe shop around for quotes for your wife’s current car, you may find a similar hike relative to its last premium.

Last edited:
As above
Motor insurers are compensating for some large inflationary hits on labour, parts hire cars and write offs, but ARE over compensating (i.e. robbing us blind!)

The move from an older MPV to a newer 'premium' SUV won't help. What's the difference in value if they had to write if off?
SUVs are generally more prone to theft / damage (just ask any RR owner....)

You can take a bigger excess of course and shop around more (some are not on comparison sites) but if you are getting the MB on finance it is 'only' another 10% on the monthlies (man maths there)

You could put another 6 months on the finance to dilute it a little

If it's not in finance, then look at paying the insurance up front as well to take 10% or more off the cost. That's what I did this year. Painful but sensible.

Is the VW equivalent SUV (Tiguan) another option in case it is the MB brand that's a main rating factor?

As above
Motor insurers are compensating for some large inflationary hits on labour, parts hire cars and write offs, but ARE over compensating (i.e. robbing us blind!)

The move from an older MPV to a newer 'premium' SUV won't help. What's the difference in value if they had to write if off?

You can take a bigger excess of course and shop around more (some are not on comparison sites) but if you are getting the MB on finance it is 'only' another 10% on the monthlies (man maths there)

If it's not in finance, then look at laying the insurance up front as well to take 10% or more off the cost. That's what I did this year. Painful but sensible.

Is the VW equivalent SUV (Tiguan) another option in case it is the MB brand that's a main rating factor?

I wouldn’t imagine it is the car that has caused such a hike in premium, maybe a little, but most of that increase will be todays crazy insurance market.

We have a couple of threads running now that show (almost) everyone is seeing huge increases in their renewal quotes.

My wife drives a 67 plate GLC 250, with Aviva the first year she paid £310 and this year in May she paid £526 with a none fault claim (GLE total write off).
I’m quite convinced next year, unless the market changes, which I doubt, she will be paying even more, but hopefully not to the extent you are being quoted.

These insurance companies need to claw back their profit short falls from the COVID era and it’s effects of car values and repair costs.

Is that £310 a renewal quote for the Touran or is that the premium you paid last year? Maybe shop around for quotes for your wife’s current car, you may find a similar hike relative to its last premium.
£320 was the insurance she paid this year in April/May

As above

If it's not in finance, then look at paying the insurance up front as well to take 10% or more off the cost. That's what I did this year. Painful but sensible.

VW Touran is worth £1000 tops and the GLC around £27k.

Not buying the GLC on finance. Normally do pay outright for the car insurance, but may end up on monthly or zero percent credit card if the premiums are that high.

Missus doesn't want to another VW she wants a Merc GLC or BMW X3

VW Touran is worth £1000 tops and the GLC around £27k.
That makes the new premium look cheap.....you are insuring something 27 times the value....for only treble the premium...bargain!!;)
Oh my!!!
There is your answer right there. I didn’t think too much about the valuation difference as I didn’t for one minute believe we would be talking about such a large gap. In my defence (foolishly) for some reason I had VW Tiguan in my head.
My mistake for not putting a little more thought into it before diving straight in to ‘crazy insurance market of today’ spiel.

I guess my point still stands, but not to the degree of my initial thought.

Good luck with your search. It is a lovely car and drive. Hopefully you get the numbers to work out to an acceptable level.

Setting aside the real outlier cars (ie exceptional values), I’ve found that neither value nor performance make a great difference to insurance premiums. In reality the risk profile associated with the manufacturer, model, person/occupation and geographical area influence the premium much more than anything else.

I mean I paid £960 last year, I re-ran the quote out of interest this year and its £1400 minimum. No change in circumstances.
I did the same on an S5 sportback which I was looking at and its almost £3k.

The value here is key factor for sure. I got a shock going from 16 reg e 350 to a 18 reg glc 350 coupe . But as mentioned already the value of the vehicle to be insured was double.

I wonder if insurance prices are shooting out because of the number of cars and a half keyless entry?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom