Hello from a new member

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

woodman

Car
merc c class
Hello,
I have been reading the forum for a while now and picked up some great tips in the detailing section.
This is my first post, so please forgive if I have not posted correctly.

I have had four C Class mercs over the last few years, but we are both now retiring and want to do some caravaning so would like to "push the boat out" on a 2011/12 s350cdi.
My problem is that I have been quoted £2,200 by the dealer to fit a removable mercedes towbar. My research of the after market suppliers has revealed that the "westfalia" bar fitted by mercedes is exclusive to them and hence the price.
This has really put me off the idea of an S class, so I am reluctantly looking for alternatives.
Unless anyone out their can offer any help.

Thanks in anticipation of help.

PS Are they any good for towing?

They'll tow 2100kgs, which is about as much as any saloon will, and the suspension will self level which is an added bonus. An E350 Estate or saloon with Airmatic will however do the same.

Regarding the tow bar, I think it has to be the non-AMG bumpers, but may be wrong on that. A quick search suggests other removable bars are available, such as this: Mercedes S Class 2006 -2013 Witter Detachable tow bar for £405 + fitting.

Thanks noy91.
I have spoken to PF Jones regarding this, and my understanding is that the wiring kit would be "Universal" and not the same as mercedes would fit.
This may therefore invalidate any warranty, and would also not be integrated into the cars electronics in the same way as the mercedes one.

Ask the dealer to find one with the tow bar already fitted? I would assume there will be one at a MB dealership, somewhere in the country that already has it fitted, they'll probably be more than happy to arrange for it to come to your local dealership :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom