HELP! Filler on my pine doors will not stain - now patchy!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rossyl

Car
CLK 230K W208 Coupe (1999)(Auto)
Hi,

So whilst I realise this is a car forum, I'm oping someone will be able to help!

The decorators have used cuprinol and ronseal filler on my reclaimed pine doors.

When trying to then wax with briwax - the doors not look extremely patchy. The filler just doesn't take the wax.

I have tried the same filler with Sadolin Extra Duranble Woodstain and it is still patchy.

So what should I do now?

Remove all wax with thinners? Try and remove the filler (this will be an impossible task I fear).

Help please!

Thanks
R

When I need a filler to match wood thats gonna be stained or polished I use a sander on a piece of scrap wood of the same type and mix the sanding dust with wood glue this matches perfectly

^ Agreed. Filler couldn't possible take the stain as the wood would.

Try roughing the filler up a bit with some fine sandpaper going in the direction of the grain. Put the Briwax on with your finger and leave it to go off. Don't let the wax go off on the whole door. It makes it far too hard to buf up. Once it is dry give the remainder of the door a final thin coat of wax and buff it up with a shoe brush rather than a rag.

Using filler under a wax finish isn't a good idea, but you've discovered that for yourself. Normally if there are gouges you'd just use a bit of solid beeswax to fill them.

Thanks guys...

The door they have waxed, they went so overboard on with the wax that it's looking a little tough to try and get an even finish. Might have to re-dip it.

For the others, and the one that's yet to be waxed, your advice will be followed.

Thanks,
R

Thanks guys...

The door they have waxed, they went so overboard on with the wax that it's looking a little tough to try and get an even finish. Might have to re-dip it.

For the others, and the one that's yet to be waxed, your advice will be followed.

Thanks,
R

Wipe it over with a thinners soaked rag and buff with the brush. It'll be OK without re dipping .

I would experiment, as they say "in an inconspicuous area" with a few different shades of brown permanent marker to achieve the color and then wax on top.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom