Help - tyre speed rating for C36?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

callahan

Car
C36 AMG & C200 cdi (w204) - both gone, now a C32
Hi

Badly need some new tyres for the front of my C36 and not sure what speed rating they need to be. I was guessing at W?

Don't really want to trust what's on the front at the moment, but they're all marked as Y.....

Incidentally, I'm looking to get Goodyear Assymetrics but have Avon ZZ3s on the back, which I quite like. Anyone tried both or have any opinions on them?

W is good for 168mph which is ample if your car is restricted to 155mph. If it's derestricted it should still be OK. Y is good for 186mph. Either W or Y would be fine.

I've had assymetric Goodyear F1s on non-MBs and have been very please with them, however I prefer to have four matching tyres so I'd probably go for the Avons if that's what's on the rear, and you don't intend to replace them. That would solve the speed rating query too.

http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html#speed

Thanks for the help. I just spoke to my local tyre place and they recommended staying with directional tyres, but preferring the Goodyears to the Avons.

The current tyres are Y speed rating, but I think you're right and that W rating will be enough - unless my C36 can go over 168mph!?!

Thanks

If I have half a chance I'll do a theoretical calculation - it'll be there or thereabouts.

Do a search for tyreshopper. I got 4 yokohamas for my 280CE for a price National Tyres couldn't buy them for! and they fitted them!! I think you'd save more than a few quid.

id go with the goodyear , but they do wear quickly, pirelli, conti`s and michelin are my favs. as long as you have the same tread depth and patern on each axle (front or rear) its not a problem.

The current tyres are Y speed rating, but I think you're right and that W rating will be enough - unless my C36 can go over 168mph!?!
The speed rating isn't that exact. My W202 is supposed to have W rated tyres on it but isn't really capable of busting about 135mph, I run it on V rated winter tyres which is what the handbook recommends.

I think the speed rating is designed to factor cornering at speed, braking, load on the sidewalls etc rather than just speed itself.

I've found the Goodyear Eagle F1 GSD3 tyres from Blackcircles for £179 a pair fitted etc, which seems pretty good - I think these are Y rated too.

I was told that, as I already have directional tyres on the rear, it would be sensible to use directional ones on the front too and I can't swap the rears on to the front!

Cheers

Just a quick update - I had the Goodyears fitted yesterday at my local tyre place (but ordered through Blackcircles) and they immediately felt much better than the old Falkens that were on there. Obviously these ones are new and the old ones were pretty ancient, but they feel very positive so far.

Now that job is done I ordered a full set of new MBClub style pedals, should get them on Thursday :rock:

A bit late, but the Mercedes recommended tyre sizes/specs for the C36:

A bit late, but the Mercedes recommended tyre sizes/specs for the C36:

And even later, thanks for the post :thumb:

It's useful as I'm now looking to replace the rears, which are unfortunately rather more expensive than the fronts....

Anyone ever tried Kumho tyres? Or shall I stick with my original idea of Goodyear Assymetrics?

Thanks

Hi,
I bought Goodyears my C43 but was so disgusted on how quickly the rears wore out in comparison with the front (and I drive quite conservatively) that i decided to buy budget tyres for the rear till my front Goodyears are worn out then i was gonna buy a set of Conti's, but to be honest I,ve been really impressed with budget tyres, so much so I think I may run the car on them completely, the budget tyres I bought were Marshall and for the rear of my C43 they were £88 each fitted and yes they are the correct size, speed and load rating for the car too.

Hi,
I bought Goodyears my C43 but was so disgusted on how quickly the rears wore out in comparison with the front (and I drive quite conservatively) that i decided to buy budget tyres for the rear till my front Goodyears are worn out then i was gonna buy a set of Conti's, but to be honest I,ve been really impressed with budget tyres, so much so I think I may run the car on them completely, the budget tyres I bought were Marshall and for the rear of my C43 they were £88 each fitted and yes they are the correct size, speed and load rating for the car too.

I was thinking along the same lines. In fact, I believe that Kumho and Marshall might actually be the same tyres, just different brand names. And a saving of around £50 aint to be sniffed at.

Thanks

Many years ago I had a Subaru Impreza that had Marshal tyres fitted. I was initially sceptical, never having heard of them, but the grip they had was astonishing - and Imprezas can go round corners pretty quickly ;). Some time later, I bought another Impreza that had the OE Bridgestones on and they were rubbish in comparison.

Having said that, my C43 was shod with Conti SC2's and they really suited the car. I put a set on the Golf when I bought it and they work well with that too. Not the cheapest, but damn good tyres in my experience.

Cheers,

Gaz

Hi,

+ 1
I put Goodyears on last year and they lasted 4000 miles! I'm now back to Falken 452 XLs

Got 452's on my 430 ..... great tyres !

Thanks for the replies, any good places to get Falken prices, Blackcircles (my usual supplier) don't do them?

Cheers

Thanks, good prices there, £73.20 each for 245/40/17 is pretty good.

I hear nothing but good about Goodyear Assymetrics if you want perfromance. Just got some myself.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom