Help with indentifying cable on m104 engine harness

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

zibpka

Car
Mercedes benz c220 and c36 amg
I need help to identifying a cable that are connected to e main connector for the engine harness

it's a coxial cable and i have tried to take a picture where its goin. But i haven't been able to find the end postition of it

i have taken a picture from where it's start and where it's goin down down the bulkhead behind the oilfilter and somewhere down to the transmission but i can't find where it's goin

Attachments

• IMG_1253.jpg
    IMG_1253.jpg
    210.8 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1254.jpg
    IMG_1254.jpg
    237.6 KB · Views: 32
Difficult to make out which cable you mean from those pics, but the only co-ax cable there is the crank sensor.

Difficult to make out which cable you mean from those pics, but the only co-ax cable there is the crank sensor.

I have located 2 knocksensors wich i think uses coaxial
and the cable for the camshaft sensor which also looks like a coaxial.
I know it's a bad picture and after i uploaded it, it turned around

But if you name the cables and whats it is used for that goes from the main connector and uses coaxial i think i will be able to narrow it down to which it is

//

I have located 2 knocksensors wich i think uses coaxial
and the cable for the camshaft sensor which also looks like a coaxial.
I know it's a bad picture and after i uploaded it, it turned around

But if you name the cables and whats it is used for that goes from the main connector and uses coaxial i think i will be able to narrow it down to which it is

//

The knock sensor's and cam sensor go towards the front of the engine, the only co-ax that is behind the oil filter is the crank sensor. It terminates in a round push on plug behind the oil filter but above the starter motor.

I can post up a pin out of the ecu plug if you need it, but what are you trying to do?

When i rebuild the harness i had to cut it off and solder it back together but the joint didnt work so good. So now i'm thinking about redo the coaxial from the main connector and the whole way out to the connection point. Or use a real coaxial coupler. What do you think i should do? As you may know, its very hard to change wiring in the main connector as all the wiring is glued into the main connector.

Is the crankshaft sensor in the front or the back of the engine? Why is it going down in the backside of the engine

The crank sensor is mounted on the flywheel housing hence, as Carat said, the wire goes down behind the filter. If you need to access the ECU plug it can be cut around its periphery about 1/2way down the circular entry. It's full of white putty stuff but once that's cleared out the pins are easily got at.

wiringloom009.jpg

...forgive my piggy backing but have a related question; how does one identify the serial number of the engine loom, the number that enables one to use when sourcing a new harness of the same specification?
Thanks in advance..

You should have a white label near the main ECU, it'll have a build date on it as well.

If you call the parts dept @ your local MB dealer they'll be able to give you 2 x part numbers. One for the original and one for the later upgraded part.

When I looked for them new were prohibitivly expensive, and used like rocking horse ****. I found a couple (LHD) in the States, still expensive, so I chose to get it rebuilt. Don't forget you'll still need to do the TB as well.

You should have a white label near the main ECU, it'll have a build date on it as well.

If you call the parts dept @ your local MB dealer they'll be able to give you 2 x part numbers. One for the original and one for the later upgraded part.

When I looked for them new were prohibitivly expensive, and used like rocking horse ****. I found a couple (LHD) in the States, still expensive, so I chose to get it rebuilt. Don't forget you'll still need to do the TB as well.

I also tried to do the throttle body. But to switch one cable at the time trough the passtrough was so tight that i bought another one.

Do i really need to destroy the main connector to get to the inside of the connector ?

Do i really need to destroy the main connector to get to the inside of the connector ?

Essentially, yes. Although it's not destroyed as you can zip round it with a saw blade in a Dremel and then reseal the two halves later with something like polyurethane mastic. Not pretty but perfectly good for purpose.

Essentially, yes. Although it's not destroyed as you can zip round it with a saw blade in a Dremel and then reseal the two halves later with something like polyurethane mastic. Not pretty but perfectly good for purpose.

This is how the pros do it, so you can solder direct to the pins. If you leave this stage you run the risk of the harness shorting out inside the connector.

I belive to make it easier you can use more modern, smaller, lighter, cable/insulation.

This is how the pros do it, so you can solder direct to the pins. If you leave this stage you run the risk of the harness shorting out inside the connector.

I belive to make it easier you can use more modern, smaller, lighter, cable/insulation.

Does anyone know the part number for this cable and the connector that goes into the crankshaft sensor? It's a c36 amg -1996. If i decide to rejoin the cable with a joiner. Does it matter what type of coaxial cable im using?

Last edited:
I found it myself anyway :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom