Hit-and-run with the W203

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
How long would take the DVLA / PNC to narrow down the search do we think?

You complain to the Chief Constable, your MP your local CPS and local newspaper.

A probationary cop should be able to narrow down the car from the details you have in 5 minutes in front of the Police National Computer, you have a large part of the number, the make, model and colour, and probably local, it should throw up several hits then depending how many they can decide if it is worth trying to track the driver down. It is hardly rocket science!

Make a fuss, and keep complaining until something is done

You complain to the Chief Constable, your MP your local CPS and local newspaper.

A probationary cop should be able to narrow down the car from the details you have in 5 minutes in front of the Police National Computer, you have a large part of the number, the make, model and colour, and probably local, it should throw up several hits then depending how many they can decide if it is worth trying to track the driver down. It is hardly rocket science!

Make a fuss, and keep complaining until something is done

quite agree - another driver rams your car from the side, with your wife driving and a 2 year old in the back? - I would have been banging on the chief constables door by now!

As an estate agent I usually have a camera in my glovebox, its good to have those cheap Kodak one - off cameras...just in case!

I would be in the police station demanding to see a senior officer as I would be registering an official complaint. To ram your wife out if the way is the sign of a driver determined not wanting to be breathalysed.

glad to hear you wife and 2yrd were ok and this guy must be found an
absolute must, but it will be too much paperwork and effort on the police behalf
they are to interested in having an esay life

I know you said you didn't get all the reg plate. But if you say for sure he was driving without a valid tax disc and prob no insurance they will find them in five minutes.

There is the possibility it was a sting and he is known to the police. Maybe under surveillance and they don't want to blow cover. But as others have said, but look round discretely in another car.

DON'T whatever you do try to approach or speak to them. Sadly britain isn't what it was 30 years ago and is now a haven for many very low life scum. A car even an MB is not worth get knifed or maybe worse over.

Just to add, the wheel damage is very likely, so replace it. But the suspension will be quite easy. There are 3 /4 tie rods that hold the hub in place. They are thin and bend very easily and just bolt on. With the wheel off you can check them easily and even from MB I think the dearest is about £15 or so. I'll check in my box of bits I have in the shed as I'm sure I had a few. I'll have a rummage.

Last edited:
The repair shop have come back quoting £3,000 damage and that doesn't include doing anything about the suspension as they can't easily see what is making the noise.
At £3K that is certainly going to be a right off on a car that retails between £3990-4990

I've got a good pile of examples for sale in my local area matching the specification as close as possible, also a valuation from parkers.

I feel that I'm going to have an interesting week arguing with Admiral...

With regards to finding the guy who did with, you are all right, I do need to cause a stink and do some investigating, but as I work in London during the week I'm going to have to wait until Saturday really.

Edmund, sorry to hear about your trouble.

I reckon the reason the police are not interested is they probably believe that the plates are cloned - hence making tracing the vehicle practically impossible. Add to that that there were no injuries, and you are insured - they won't be interested...

It's a sad state of affairs... but we have a minimum police force who serve little more than to provide incident numbers for insurance companies... and the sadder point is that the guys actually working as police officers have their hands tied and can't resolve the issue...

M

The repair shop have come back quoting £3,000 damage and that doesn't include doing anything about the suspension as they can't easily see what is making the noise.
At £3K that is certainly going to be a right off on a car that retails between £3990-4990

I've got a good pile of examples for sale in my local area matching the specification as close as possible, also a valuation from parkers.

I feel that I'm going to have an interesting week arguing with Admiral...

With regards to finding the guy who did with, you are all right, I do need to cause a stink and do some investigating, but as I work in London during the week I'm going to have to wait until Saturday really.
I wouldn't worry too much about their valuation; my friends 2002/02 S320 CDi with 115k got writ-off the other week and he was paid out £7700 on a £5000 car!

I have the utmost respect for the police but on this occasion I feel it was a operator on the phone who was the problem, as it wasn;t an emergency I didn't dial 999, I phoned the police station in the local two(which is a whopping great building/control centre).

I'll get on to them.

An update: police officer phoned back to say they were unable to trace the car or get a good enough lead to follow through for the make/model and partial plate.

The insurance company has been all over the place, yesterday they declared the care a complete right off and today they have said they won't pay to repair it but I can have it back and it's road worthy... so... they are goving me 2.3K for the car in cash and then giving me the car also...

I've bought a cheap Volvo to keep us going and will look at fixing up the Merc, it will now become my daily commuting car as my wife like the Volvo V70 2.3 T5 a lot (250BHP is hard to ignore)

A good friend of mine had a T5. He loved the performance but described the car as a "Device for shredding tyres using petrol"

Firstly glad to hear your family is ok, if a little shaken, with any luck your youngster will only have been aware of the jolt and not actually have seen anything.

How long would take the DVLA / PNC to narrow down the search do we think?
About 10 minutes to get it to a reduced list ... if they wanted to, but to do that is probably costed at X amount per search and has to come from someones budget

I know you said you didn't get all the reg plate. But if you say for sure he was driving without a valid tax disc and prob no insurance they will find them in five minutes.
Yeah, DVLA would have dragged that info up fast then, unless it was as someone said, a traveller, then they dont give a crap as there is no intention to prosecute them because you might upset them or treat them like everyone else that breaks he law !

DON'T whatever you do try to approach or speak to them. Sadly britain isn't what it was 30 years ago and is now a haven for many very low life scum. A car even an MB is not worth get knifed or maybe worse over.
Agreed

An update: police officer phoned back to say they were unable to trace the car or get a good enough lead to follow through for the make/model and partial plate.
Standard palm off garbage, if that was a copper's wife it would be a different story

The insurance company has been all over the place, yesterday they declared the care a complete right off and today they have said they won't pay to repair it but I can have it back and it's road worthy... so... they are goving me 2.3K for the car in cash and then giving me the car also...
Hold out a little, don't take their first offer, even if you sell yours now as it is and take the cash offered you would still not have enough to buy a replacement.

I've bought a cheap Volvo to keep us going and will look at fixing up the Merc, it will now become my daily commuting car as my wife like the Volvo V70 2.3 T5 a lot (250BHP is hard to ignore)
yeah i can see her point there :devil:

A minor update on this:
Still no info on the suspect driver or car but I did get back from holiday to find my Merc sitting in the drive way and a cheque on the door mat. I took it to get MOT'ed to be sure it is still safe and it passed with flying colours. I will now use her as my commuting car albeit with a couple of dents.

Just for my info - does that mean the car is now a Cat D write-off....and does anything need to be done to make it officially OK to drive (apart from the MOT)?

Just for my info - does that mean the car is now a Cat D write-off....and does anything need to be done to make it officially OK to drive (apart from the MOT)?

Catergory D cars do not need any specific inspection other than an MOT at the approrpiate time to be put back on the road.

I bought a CAT D Mondeo once and VOSA requested my car went to them for an inspection - so there are exceptions. However, I'm sure they will be in touch if so...

The sad thing I find out of this whole thing is, obviously the incident itself was, but the whole lack of being bothered by the police.

This just sends totally the wrong message and so not really a surprise we do harbour scum.

Those in charge, period, need a f-ing good kick up the rse.

I think this is similar to whats happening to the NHS care of the elderly. These types of incidents are seen as "work" rather than "people who have just had an accident", its a shame but cutting through the red tape and allowing coppers to do thier job is where it needs to be.

Take the DVLA database search, I cant believe a government department will charge Police to use its services in the pursuit of a criminal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom