How do they get away with it?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

stwat

MB Enthusiast
Car
1989 W126 300 SE
To start off, I am not complaining in any way. In fact, I'm certainly glad they can and do get away without being prosecuted.

But how do motoring journos get away with driving cars at high speed on the public roads/highways, then posting the vids on YouTube without getting their collar felt by the fuzz?

Here's a great example from Matt Farah, who I greatly respect, driving a lovely Porsche 991 GT3 RS at high speed.

https://youtu.be/aUX9JBFJ2lM

It happens not just in the US but also here in the UK, but to a lesser extent.
Is it something to do with how the laws have been set. Something to do with not showing the speedo thus having no actual evidence of the actual speeds being gained? Even though it is blatantly obvious they are greatly exceeding the speed limit. And also never actually stating what speeds they are doing in the videos?

Answers on a postcard to, well, here actually :)

On some occasions I have seen that they state that they were either on a private road, or that the road as closed to the public by the police for the shoot.

But:

(a) This was mentioned in a few videos I saw, it is not obvious that this is the case for all shoots...

(b) It would be interesting to see the legal mechanism that allows drivers to speed on a public road (albeit a closed one at the time of the shoot) with permission from the Police - i.e. the Police agreeing not to take action does not in itself make it legal - I am sure they have something in place for film makers etc - I wonder what provision is there that allows this?

Perhaps it's the same situation of road rallying; if it's been closed to the public, then no limit applies because there is no chance of meeting another motorist.
That would also explain why they are frequently ignoring the road markings and driving on the wrong side of the road.

The Isle of Man is a good example. - You can't do 100mph through the centre of Ramsey under normal circumstances; it's a 30 zone...until the TT is in town.

I would agree. If a road, which forms part of the public highway, is removed from the public highway, then it is no longer governed by laws pertaining to public highways.

Then you have to question the validity of closing a road to the public so that a journalist can film a car review. After all, the Police wouldn't close a road so that I could speed, so how comes these people can.

Double standards, eh?

...Then you have to question the validity of closing a road to the public so that a journalist can film a car review. After all, the Police wouldn't close a road so that I could speed, so how comes these people can.

Double standards, eh?

They would also close the road for the filming of a car chase. And they would close streets for traffic for demonstration and other events.

So it's not entirely unprecedented.

But yes there has to be a set of agreed rules as to which requests qualify for road closure and which do not.

I would agree. If a road, which forms part of the public highway, is removed from the public highway, then it is no longer governed by laws pertaining to public highways.

Then you have to question the validity of closing a road to the public so that a journalist can film a car review. After all, the Police wouldn't close a road so that I could speed, so how comes these people can.

Double standards, eh?

They pay for the privilege?

I would offer that if you don't see any vehicles coming the other way the road has in all probability been closed for general traffic. Perhaps the danger lies in not making that abundantly clear to the young impressionable viewer who then goes out to emulate the same behaviour on the open highway in his Corsa with the chocolate brakes go faster stripes and unfeasibly large exhaust?

Assume it's a similar thing to e.g. Monaco for the gp. You don't see traffic cops lined up at the end giving Hamilton and co speeding tickets. Although to be fair alonso and button would probably still have been ok last yr.

On buying my (now gone 355) there was an F40 in the showroom. Being me, I asked if I could sit in it. Being them, and as I was buying a car from them they said "we can do better than that Sir". Turned out that the car was to be filmed that very day on a section of newly built, but as yet unopened, dual carriageway. So off we went. There we a good few photographers present, on our arrival. It then turns out that the MO, for some of these events is to invite the press in advance, have the road closed or find one that is closed, inform the Police and off you go.

I had a fabulous time, but wasn't allowed to drive the car (despite me offering all sorts of incentives). It was a privately owned car and was on some demo day type insurance limited to to a single named driver, who never once got the needell with me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom