How often do you change oil ? The older is the car the more important it is to change oil often ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Every 2 years on my SL, it only covers 1000 miles a year at most.

Reactions: 190
1. You can do an additional interim oil service at the 6 months point if you wish.

2. MB used to have flexible ASSIST, with varying service intervals, but since 2007 all MB cars are on fixed 12 months schedule.

3. You still didn't say how many miles you do annually.

4. If your W205 has the 7G+ automatic transmission, then the ATF change is due every 77,500 miles or 5 years, whichever comes first. If it has the 9G transmission, then it's 77,500 miles with no time limit.
Hi , at the moment no time limit on 9g gearbox.

I change mine, in the merc & volvo, every 6 months using a sealey oil extractor for one change then by the sump plug next time to remove any crud that may be there, I don't think using the suction method would remove this.

249K miles on the merc. I believe regular oil changes have kept the timing chain & gears in good order, I replaced them all when I bought the car at 118k & 150k on the volvo

I change mine, in the merc & volvo, every 6 months using a sealey oil extractor for one change then by the sump plug next time to remove any crud that may be there, I don't think using the suction method would remove this.
Do you see any 'crud' when you drain via the plug?

Hi , my car has the engine oil changed at 6 months or what ever the mileage is.

My annual mileage is no more than 3000

If you're changing the oil every 1500 miles, I think most of us would consider that unnecessarily often. Your money, your choice, though.

It seems obvious to me that (within reason) engine oil, just like most moving parts of a car, is degraded mainly by usage, not time. My SLK had its last oil change two years ago, has done just over 4000 miles
since then, and is just about to get its next; that's plenty soon enough, I think. Most of that has been either local blasts or forty-mile commutes, though, and if I used it mainly to drive a mile to the shops to get a newspaper and drive back, I'd get it done every year.

By the bye, it's just had its MoT, with the same single advisory as last year: "Under trays fitted perverting full inspection of under side". I hope that's a typo... 😀

Just for interest, why should an AMG need the oil changed more often? Surely it is the way you drive the car that should determine the regularity of the oil change. If you hammer it all the time, the oil would need to be changed more often, if you drive steady less often. I alway leave mine to once a year as I now only cover about 8k miles a year.

Some of us have 9 litre sumps, so that extends the mileage by close on 40%.
But most have the 6.5 litre capacity.

I'm assuming that newish cars still have an oil quality monitor, is this what ASSIST might go by?

When monitoring the mileage countdown to next service I've seen the mileage increase when I've topped up with fresh oil.
I don't mind trusting that.

My car's oil service is annually. Regardless of how few miles I do, I get it done. Stick to the service schedule, MB have invested £££ working it out so you don't have to :)

If a diesel engine when new is looked after and serviced well then the benefits are felt later on with say 150,000 miles on the clock with little or no problems.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom