How to retire moss from the low part of the glass

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cobogol

Car
W209 320 CDI; S210 320 CDI
Hello, I need to retire some moss from the low part of the lateral glass, just on the rubber piece. Excuse me, I´m from Spain and I don´t know the name in english.
The thing is that the rubber piece is more open that in other cars, so I thing that there might be an acumulation of small sands and something like this. I the middle of that rubbish the moss grew up, so I want to restore it to the original look.
What must I do? Maybe disassemble the door?
Thanks.
Your hlep is much appreciated

Forgive me but you may need to re-write that.

You have "moss" growing from inside a rubber seal to some glass on the car?

It is more likely to be algae than actual moss, although I have seen real moss growing on cars.

Do try a toothbrush and a bucket of suds (car wash detergent and warm water).

Yes, that´s right, it´s more like algae. Tomorrow I will show a pics. Thanks

Hello, the promise pic.

Attachments

• 30062012351.jpg
    30062012351.jpg
    217.4 KB · Views: 255
Sorry but the photo is very blurred, or else I need new glasses

Try looking for the green, you can see it very clearly in the photo. I think an old toothbrush and some "all-purpose cleaner" will get rid of it

Try looking for the green, you can see it very clearly in the photo. I think an old toothbrush and some "all-purpose cleaner" will get rid of it

I agree with this too

Do you thing that the toothbrush is so efective to retire a narrow line of crap?
What about water pressured?
Many thanks for the replies.

I think a toothbrush should be good - once the green stuff is wet (with the All-Purpose Cleaner) it should come off quite easily with a toothbrush. A pressure-washer wouldn't get rid of it, though, you need something rough like a toothbrush to force it off

I had the same on my S210 when it had been parked outside through the winter. It was just algae and came off easily by rubbing with my finger / fingernail, but a toothrush or nailbrush would be OK too. Use some washing up liquid if necessarily - I just did it when I was washing the car with car shampoo. The rubber won't suffer and you won't lose the seal between it and the window glass - besides the rubbers don't stop all water getting past them - that's why there are drain holes in the bottom of doors.

If all else fails you could try brushing it with garden weed/moss killer to remove (retire) it, but obviously avoid getting any on the paintwork and/or polished surfaces and read any warnings on the container before trying it.

Best thing is an APC with a detailing brush (or toothbrush!) or use a pressure washer but don't get too close with it.

I've been known to use copper fungicide (algae is related)

But the toothbrush or similar is a must, they make excellent "detailing" brushes and they are very cheap. Do try using one with some warm water and car wash or soap.
(I have not seen one of those Megs Triple Brushes for a while, orders have come back out of stock. Have they been discontinued?)

The humble bar of soap is an extremely good cleaning agent, better than detergents.
But it does leave a scum for you to play with your jet wash.

Last edited:
If its 'crusty' as it was on mine, looked almost as if the rubber was cracked, but it was not it was just gunge, i used the edge of an old credit card/discount card slid in between the glass and seal, move the card along the seal front to back with water and suds. Then jet wash off. Its not come back !

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom